Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Murdered a Viper, then later big boom/tow truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Murdered a Viper, then later big boom/tow truck

Yep slaughtered a viper, hehehe. But later had a back fire that could be heard from the pits. Good thing it was a lean style dry back fire, at least that's what I think happened. but what caused it, well the throttle went wide open and wouldn't come down, even after the boom, had to kill it with the key. Now when you try to start it it goes directly to WOT. Tried to put it in limp mode/speed density, but still the rpms sky rocketed. I don't think any thing of great value was damaged. The MAF is missing one resistor, the stock bellows is split wide open, and the air filter is toast. Yep, another tow truck visit, god this **** is expensive. This run was my low 10.xx it was hauling the mail for sure, but again no clean full pass. Though I was running consistant 11.6 until the big n2o was applied.
Robert
Old 08-30-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DAMN! I did not get your call till after 10pm. We are going have to spend some more time with that Vette.

BTW The TB is screwed up from the back fire. It Might have stripped or broke the gears. Get ahold of Cory he has a few.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, something is up with it going up fast and past what I want in the rpms? This is what likely caused the backfire, hit the limiter and it cut fuel. the limiter is at 7000rpm and it wants to go well past that. I think I talked to you before about this rpm climb thing. anyway, I need a Z06 Maf and a bellows, got Cory's number? Yea, shifting as fast as I can, at 6000rpms, it still hits the limiter @ 7000 and above. Wonder if the TPS is messed up.
Robert

Edit: the phone call was to see if ya could help get it in SD, but I think we got it but still climbing rpms.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer dude, sorry to hear that! Good luck sorting it out. Did you make it past the 1/8 on that run?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

OUCH! Nice kill tho....
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Jeez Robert! That must be a rush hauling the mail like that! Great kill, the Viper dude probably didn't know what hit him
Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robert56
it still hits the limiter @ 7000 and above.
Window switch not working?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Window switch not working?

I am with Chris.

SD Mode would be just un-plugging the MAF. Better have your tables tuned That is why I like a Good MAF AND SD tune .

The broken throttle is the end result not the cause. Maybe it was hurt on the first go round and now just finished off. I would get another one on there and see how it goes. I think I have a MAF but I am not sure it works
Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Bummer dude, sorry to hear that! Good luck sorting it out. Did you make it past the 1/8 on that run?
Nope, might have to wait till next year know?
Robert
Old 08-31-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tjwong
Jeez Robert! That must be a rush hauling the mail like that! Great kill, the Viper dude probably didn't know what hit him
Yea he lifted about half track playing lame. But looking at the slip it was an absolute murderous run against him. Wasn't even using the big guns, hehe. Nice Viper though, I still may pick one up someday and see if I can race it, nitrous of course.
Robert
Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I am with Chris.

SD Mode would be just un-plugging the MAF. Better have your tables tuned That is why I like a Good MAF AND SD tune .

The broken throttle is the end result not the cause. Maybe it was hurt on the first go round and now just finished off. I would get another one on there and see how it goes. I think I have a MAF but I am not sure it works
Well doesn't just unplugging the MAF put it in limp mode, which is SD? Yea, I see the TB as maybe a contributer to the previous issues? Haven't even looked at the logs yet. But prior logs all showed good a/f and timing pulled to 18* and everything else seemingly ok? Maybe this winter you can look at it, as I want/need my tranny upgraded rebuilt and clutch freshened anywho. Anybody know of a good bank to rob?
Robert