Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

1980 Honda Accord "tech" help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007 | 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default 1980 Honda Accord "tech" help.

I have a guy that has a '80 Accord, 4 door, 5 speed that he is willing to give to me if I can get it running and out of his driveway.

For a car this old its in decent shape and has shockingly low miles (140K) for a car of its age. Right before it quit he had the trans (guessing he meant clutch) replaced and had a new cyl. head on it.

Things wrong with it.
1) Drivers side door wont unlock. this "should" be an easy fix since its a manual lock.

2) 1 tire is flat, no big deal here. Air it up and throw fix a flat in it to get it to a Les Schwab for an "el cheapo" replacement.

3) Might need a new battery (another easy fix)

4) When the car died he said he tried jump starting it for 20 minutes and it wouldnt fire. He said he checked the carb and it wasnt getting any fuel so this leads me to believe that the fuel pump is bad. But what I dont know if the pump is an "in tank" pump or an "In line" pump and if its an "in line" pump, what is its location?

The way I look at it is, if I spend 150.00 on a new pump, battery and a tire I can turn around and sell the thing on CL for 1000.00 or so. My best guess is that it might have another 75K in usable milage left in it and might even keep it for myself as a daily thrasher/shitbox.

Does anyone have any ideas on the fuel pump type and location? I have tried searching the web for schematics of the fuel system and only ran accross "pay to see my schematics" sites.

Any help appreciated.
Old 10-04-2007 | 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

you could get a manual at the autoparts store for $15.

Through the library here in Kitsap Co. I can get online and view manuals too from home, I'll check it out later tonight.

Ya gotta love beaters! I say fix it and run the crap out of it at an autocross just for kicks. I saw this old beater Toyota wagon thing (Tercel or something like that) picking up its inside rear tire at an autocross once...it was classic...the guy could driver regardless of the car thouh.

Last edited by Ackattack1; 10-04-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2007 | 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I might keep it but I really need the money right now. Once I get the fuel situation figured out and can get it started we will see how much more effort it will take to make it somewhat reliable. If its going to be alot of headache, I'll just dump it for a profit.
Old 10-04-2007 | 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a POS subaru, bought it for $800, spent about $600 to keep it running and sold it for $1000. I put about 25k miles on it in a year and a half. Not bad for $400 in my book!
Old 10-04-2007 | 06:23 PM
Launching!

Been a long time since i've messed with those old civic's / accords but if my memory serves me correctly it is in one of the rear wheel wells. Either right in front or behind it. It's kinda enclosed in a box or something like that. Just find some fuel lines and follow them. Test it with 12v directly to it before you pull it. It was not uncommon for the relay to go bad. As for the location of that I dont' remember but might be able to find out if you need.

It is definitely not in the tank
Old 10-04-2007 | 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, according to the online repair manual, if its an electric pump, its behind the left rear wheel well (that you have to remove)

it's its a mechanical pump (1170cc or 1237cc) it's located on the back of the engine under the air filter.

hope this help.

Derek
Old 10-04-2007 | 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my son an 80's something Honda Civic and it had a starting problem which turned out to be the fuel pump. Turned out the pump was good but the wiring wasn't. I found this out after replacing the pump of course. In his car the pump was accessed through a removeable panel under the rear seat. Anyway, it turned out that to test the system, you jumped some terminals in an electrical box in the engine bay--which was shown in the manual. When I jumped the terminals it worked fine. Left the jumper in and sent him on his way. Car wasn't worth any more effort. Long shot but it worked for me.

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-2007 | 12:43 AM
hashtagBMW

Im not reading this thread, but after the chat we had Boyce...you better be buying that car and Master Cheifin' the **** out of it!

Minutubs!
Old 10-06-2007 | 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Im not reading this thread, but after the chat we had Boyce...you better be buying that car and Master Cheifin' the **** out of it!

Minutubs!
LOL! That was pretty ****** funny.

Downside, I finally got a good look at the car and it needs more time than I can give it. Saying it looked like hammered **** would be an understatement. It needs more time and effort than I am willing to give it, so I am passing on it. I was hoping that I might be able to get it running and move it for a 1000, but after looking at it.....turns out I would be lucky to get 500 for it after putting at least 200 into it. Not worth it to me right now.

Quick Reply: 1980 Honda Accord "tech" help.