Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Enthusiast Abandoning the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Enthusiast Abandoning the hobby

I feel that I'm at a crossroad in my life where the time and money spent on replacing engines/performance work isn't worth the time.

My First project was a 86 Chevy with a 355 that was machined and built.
The engine came apart later in its life due to not being machined correctly. (Wrong cam bearings, improper cylinder bore angle, and bad heads out of the box) It was a $10,000 project with a $5000 loss.

My second project was my mom's car, where the engine that I paid $2500 for in machine work, parts, and all my time and labor to put it all together ended a short life at 700 miles when a rod bearing let go, due to an improperly machined crank journal, cracked cylinder block, and leaky heads - despite paying for inspections. That's another $2500 for absolutely nothing.

There are other projects where I paid for Bolt on performance parts which sent the vehicles backwards, by loosing all throttle response and mileage, despite sales claims to "Increase mileage and performance".

It seems that every machinist has "a Fix to sell you".
Every parts counter "Has the part to fix it"
Every person "Has the right methods to assemble/dissasemble"
Every option comes at a premium price.

When it comes down to it, Nobody's "Fix" works.
Ive learned that Junkyard motors are suspect.
Ive learned that Reman Motors have a short life span no matter how well you maintain them.
I've learned that no one will put their inspections in writing, and will only give you verbals because 'They dont want to get involved". So there aren't any professional inspections that will back you up.

This summer I was going to do performance mods to my 02 TA.
But after learning the expensive lesson from my moms bonneville, I don't think Im going to spend any time or money, as it will just be a waste, and only end up damaging the vehicle.
I've lost the mechanic in me. I'm tired, worn, and I don't want to work on garbage vehicles anymore.

I'm venting, because nobodys listening. Nobody talks other than Shrugged shoulders and "I dunno".

Anybody else share the same thoughts/experiences?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

WELL..for you..2 words...." CRATE ENGINES ".
Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish. New 3800 series II - $4750 for a long block.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

My rebuilt engine in my last truck went 150,000 miles and is still going, problem is they are hit and miss.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

it really relates to your passion about the hobby. To me I made mistakes with the 3 thunderbirds I owned before my first LS1 going through between the 3 a total of: 3 transmissions, 4 engines and other miss stuff.

When I got to my first LS1 T/A I had to rebuild the transmission (due to the clutch and bearing lasting unusually long and never being replaced prior to the 117,000 it was at) and replace the oil pan do to high centering at some point prior to my purchase. I also spent triple the time I should have installing headers on it. (I will never use SLP headers again).

I've lost a lot of blood sweat and tears to these cars. But I will never give up on em. I've got a WS6 now that I haven't even been able to drive for going on a year plus. And a GTP that's in the shop for a transmission at 134,000mi.

But even with all the money spent on these cars the enjoyment, comradery, and pleasure they've brought me more than makes up for the rest for me. Yeah I miss my WS6 but I know when I can drive it again it'll be better than before and worth the wait and time missed.

So there's my opinion.

Pardon any punctuation or spelling errors I'm typing this on my iPhone waiting for my fiancé to finish shopping.

Last edited by HitmanLSX; 02-20-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right don't get me wrong I feel your pain dude, but you get past it. I wouldn't fear the rebuilt stuff though, some of it is very good.

Hitman too bad about the GTP Tranny, unfortunately it is common in those. I used to change my fluid every 30,000 miles in mine and added a tranny cooler.
It is really the only piece of mind you can get with one of those.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

I had to replace the brake pads on my Camaro once.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TrickyTransAm
I feel that I'm at a crossroad in my life where the time and money spent on replacing engines/performance work isn't worth the time.

My First project was a 86 Chevy with a 355 that was machined and built.
The engine came apart later in its life due to not being machined correctly. (Wrong cam bearings, improper cylinder bore angle, and bad heads out of the box) It was a $10,000 project with a $5000 loss.

My second project was my mom's car, where the engine that I paid $2500 for in machine work, parts, and all my time and labor to put it all together ended a short life at 700 miles when a rod bearing let go, due to an improperly machined crank journal, cracked cylinder block, and leaky heads - despite paying for inspections. That's another $2500 for absolutely nothing.

There are other projects where I paid for Bolt on performance parts which sent the vehicles backwards, by loosing all throttle response and mileage, despite sales claims to "Increase mileage and performance".

It seems that every machinist has "a Fix to sell you".
Every parts counter "Has the part to fix it"
Every person "Has the right methods to assemble/dissasemble"
Every option comes at a premium price.

When it comes down to it, Nobody's "Fix" works.
Ive learned that Junkyard motors are suspect.
Ive learned that Reman Motors have a short life span no matter how well you maintain them.
I've learned that no one will put their inspections in writing, and will only give you verbals because 'They dont want to get involved". So there aren't any professional inspections that will back you up.

This summer I was going to do performance mods to my 02 TA.
But after learning the expensive lesson from my moms bonneville, I don't think Im going to spend any time or money, as it will just be a waste, and only end up damaging the vehicle.
I've lost the mechanic in me. I'm tired, worn, and I don't want to work on garbage vehicles anymore.

I'm venting, because nobodys listening. Nobody talks other than Shrugged shoulders and "I dunno".

Anybody else share the same thoughts/experiences?
If it makes you feel better I can relate.

I've put thousands into an engine before only to have it not deliver expected power output. Exhibit mechanical problems that should have been resolved with a rebuild etc... so I end up at square one where I was before everything started. Talk about frustrating. I've also had success in replacing an engine and can say that it brings with it a sense of satisfaction that is hard to come by in your day to day dealings.

You live and you learn. Trial and error is a big part of the aftermarket automotive scene and unfortunately it can cost a lot to play and make mistakes. You have to decide is it worth to me to keep playing this game or do I try something different.

I hope it all works out for you in th long run.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
I had to replace the brake pads on my Camaro once.
You slay me Eric.....

I started out with a 57 Chevy Sedan Delivery with a built 327 & a B&M 4 sp hydro WAY back in 70. Had my share of ups & downs, but you need to enjoy each part of the journey, good & bad. It's called life.....

And I've sunk a LOT of money into my current car but wouldn't trade it for anything! It's a part of who I am. But, to each his own.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been frustrighted to the point I actually quit for 4-5 years. Do not get me wrong there were a few small mods to the cars I had at the time but nothing invasive.

Then I got my 95 Z28. I was doing pretty good until I met Joe(NW94Z). He brought the racer back out in me again. Things went wild again at one point. In one six month period after installing a Blower I ripped the center out of a TQ converter, Lost an opti, had a steering column fire(dealer fixed), Blew two Engines apart and lost a blower through a new engine.

I put the car back together with the best used parts I could trade for, I was dead broke. Car went 12.7 N/A when LS1 cars went going 12.7 N/A

I parked it for a year to pay off all the bills incured in that six month period

Many other times and issues but I always seem to find my way back.

Take some time and maybe a break. it will come back when the time is right. The car you have now is a greta fondation for having fun!

Most of all enjoy!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

There's a 67 Chevelle in my garage with a screaming 327 in it that needs about a weekends work to get back road worthy. I haven't drove that car in over 10 years. I've had it apart from stem to stern more times that I care to admit. 4 motors, 3 trannys, 5 rear ends, on my 3rd fuel system, etc..... I still just don't have the ambition to dive back into it yet. I'm hoping sometime this summer I'll get that ambition back to get it on the road.

I'd still rather mod the Denali or Firebird than work on the Chevelle.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I have been frustrighted to the point I actually quit for 4-5 years. Do not get me wrong there were a few small mods to the cars I had at the time but nothing invasive.

Then I got my 95 Z28. I was doing pretty good until I met Joe(NW94Z). He brought the racer back out in me again. Things went wild again at one point. In one six month period after installing a Blower I ripped the center out of a TQ converter, Lost an opti, had a steering column fire(dealer fixed), Blew two Engines apart and lost a blower through a new engine.

I put the car back together with the best used parts I could trade for, I was dead broke. Car went 12.7 N/A when LS1 cars went going 12.7 N/A

I parked it for a year to pay off all the bills incured in that six month period

Many other times and issues but I always seem to find my way back.

Take some time and maybe a break. it will come back when the time is right. The car you have now is a greta fondation for having fun!

Most of all enjoy!
**** before I met Ellis I could change a tire and a battery and that's about it, oh and thought I could shift.

It's amazing the things and motivation you pick up from hanging out with the right crowd.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

There are good times and there are bad times. If you just make sure to do your research on sellers and where they get their stuff from you can avoid 99% of bad experiences like these. We all get frustrated at times, but it is cheaper in the long run and MUCH less trouble if you spend a little more money up front with the parts/builders/suppliers that you choose.
You said crate engines cost too much? They don't when you factor in that in your cases you paid for things twice, while a crate engine generally has a pretty good warranty, and is generally build to such good specs that you never need that warranty.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
There are good times and there are bad times. If you just make sure to do your research on sellers and where they get their stuff from you can avoid 99% of bad experiences like these. We all get frustrated at times, but it is cheaper in the long run and MUCH less trouble if you spend a little more money up front with the parts/builders/suppliers that you choose.
You said crate engines cost too much? They don't when you factor in that in your cases you paid for things twice, while a crate engine generally has a pretty good warranty, and is generally build to such good specs that you never need that warranty.
True, but that warranty is only good if the dealer installs it right?
If the dealers here would install it, they would literally skin me alive, and the repair bill would be worth more than the car itself.
$480 to replace a water pump on a truck is a bit over the top, dont you think?

By the way...it was the dealer that jacked the first motor.
We don't have reputable dealers in this area that i've found.
"We Only fix whats broke"
"I thought that was an insurance job"
"What oil leak...I dont see any oil leak" *drip drip drip*
"Well...that's gonna be expensive..."

Last edited by TrickyTransAm; 02-21-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickyTransAm
True, but that warranty is only good if the dealer installs it right?
Untrue

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Untrue

Well thats the first time I was told that.

Every dealer here I asked that question told me 90 days if we don't install it.

Thats pretty frustrating.

Where in writing is it, that if a user installs it....its warranteed for 3/36K?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

wow. seems like a streak of bad luck.... I consider myself lucky w/ regard to junk yard motors. I bought an engine out of an AMC eagle for $200 once to put into my dad's jeep, ended up sitting on the garage floor for 2 years and actually being swapped into another jeep... ran like a scalded cat. that jeep finally blew a trans & I sold it for about what I had into it 3 years later. that was a fun rig.

next bad deal, a ford bronco (yes, they circle the problem) I was using it to tow a small enclosed trailer to ATV races (MX & GP) all over the NW. on a trip to Idaho I smell some antifreeze, stop check it & can't figure out where it's coming from, & it was still full. tow back to Richland after the races and it starts it again & won't stop, it had corrroded through a freeze plug... no big deal, easy fix. The very next weekend towing to Goldendale it breaks an exhaust valve, blew a rear main seal and now the transmission is shuddering. that week I traded it off. no more four letter 'F' words in my driveway.

The RX7, my current project, has taken a while.... the drivetrain came out of a high miles 99 camaro. it had a bad trans from the start, but I didn't know until I got to stomp on it, so I upgraded to a stage 2 performabuilt & converter for $2k more, 1st day out it blows off the trans cooler line... got it together again, and so far it's good. now, 2 years after starting the project, I'm finally going to put the suspension in and be ready to roll after I finally get it aligned. when I started I had a goal of doing the swap on the cheap, but that went to hell in a hurry... it's now double what I had intended, and I still have a rough body...

I won't even get into how many motors I've put into quads....
Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

That's when you start to die. Some day you will roll over in the nursing home so someone can wipe your ***, and you will look out the window, and see a car like you used to have driving down the road. And you will remember that you really liked working on those crappy cars.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno, I wouldn't exactly call myself a "mechanic", but I know enough to get myself in trouble, and I've been upgrading my Formula for almost 5 years, and it just keeps getting better and better. 5 seasons at the track, and the car is still going strong and I've had hardly any issues with it.

Of course, my methodology for mods is a little different than everyone elses in that I let other people buy parts and try them out before I think about doing the same thing to my car... and I learn from their mistakes. I also keep the performance level of my car at a point where it doesn't require a ton of maintenance... makes it so I spend less time wrenching on it, and more time laying some rubber!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hehe Joe I will never forget that day I think the seat belt was the only thing holding you in your seat

We bought one of Scoggin Dicky's Create Engines to a win at the Bonneville 100 last year and it ran consistant tens taking all the boost we could feed it! Pretty damn good IMHO. That engine would still be going had we not got it "warm" in the long straight winning the race

BTW That motor I bought used 8 years ago is still sitting under the bench in the shop. She went DEEP 11s before I retired it and it was still going good after 20,000 miles of shifting at 6,000-7,000

It can come together when things are good.

Good luck with the new project!

Quick Reply: Enthusiast Abandoning the hobby