Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anyone want a volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone want a volvo?

I am very seriously considering getting rid of my 1997 850 T5 (white/grey interior). It just ticked past the 120K mark but anyone that knows volvos knows its good for another 120K.

It has new tires on all 4 corners (about 5K on them), Samco silicone boost hoses, new ICM last year, new right front wheel bearing last year and its getting a new left front this weekend. Leather interior, decent factory stereo, heated seats, trip computer, zoned AC and heat and a bunch of other stuff. All in all the car is in great shape.

Here are the issues with it.
-needs new bulb in left front fog light
-needs new bulb in the dash display for the left blinker. The blinker works but you just dont get the flashing green arrow in your dash
-sunroof doesnt work. I have tried to put a new motor in to fix it but it must be something with the lines themselves that is keeping it from work. I never cared about it so after a new motor didnt fix it, I left it alone.
-1 small ding in the left rear wheel well. Hardly noticable and could easily be fixed by probably banging it out from the other side.

Gets great gas milage on the freeway. Last time I paid attention to it, it was getting about 32mpg on the highway as long as I stayed under 70mph and out of "sport" mode.

2 years ago I paid 7500 for it and its still in great shape. If anyone is interested I would be looking for about 6000.00 which is a bit below KBB's "private party sale". Would be great for a high schooler, college kid or someone that just needs a daily driver that doesnt look like its been thrown off a cliff. And I do have the title for the car, I just have to find it.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Show some pictures up!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
Show some pictures up!

I'll take some this weekend. I have a new lap top and all my pics were vaporized when the old lap top crapped itself.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Launching!

I just bought a 95 850 turbo. Looks just about new inside and very nice on the outside.

I can attest that IF properly maintained they are easily good for 300k miles.

Mine is in the 200k club PO must have been proud of it.

You're getting 32mpg highway!?!?! I can only squeeze 23 and that is with economy mode on, and staying out of boost.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can get 32 cruising at about 60-63mph and staying out of the boost.

Forgot to mention that this car has the full cold weather package and both front seats are powered. Found out that is a bit of a rarity. The car is fully optioned out.

I went to Barrier volvo yesterday to look at the new C30's and its crazy how they do options now. A 23,000.00 car can go to almost 30,000.00 just by checking a couple boxes on your option sheet. And what they charge for some of it is pretty crazy

Base C30 2.0 26,445
Sun Roof 1,200
Leather 1,200
Black paint 475
Power seats 900
Alarm 200
Xenon head lights 750

that doesnt include little options like a cup holder, cigarette lighter (yeah to charge the cell phone) arm rest. Yup, dont pay for those it dont come with them. So you just went from a so-so priced little hatch back to a base model luxery sedan/coupe.

anything in the GM line up that would make a good commuter?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc

anything in the GM line up that would make a good commuter?
http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/
260hp Turbo Ecotech !!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Teching In

If your interested in another Volvo, check out their overseas delivery program. In a nutshell you order it from Barrier, go to Sweden to pick it up, drop it off at a port over there and they ship it over here. The info is on the web site.

My parents got a 2006 V70R that way and saved a few thousand dollars.

Rob
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by little potato
If your interested in another Volvo, check out their overseas delivery program. In a nutshell you order it from Barrier, go to Sweden to pick it up, drop it off at a port over there and they ship it over here. The info is on the web site.

My parents got a 2006 V70R that way and saved a few thousand dollars.

Rob
+1. Then you also get to spend a few paid for days in Sweden!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Even with the cost of air fare and lodging they saved money?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Volvo pays for your airfare and hotel and insurance on the car while you are there. At least that is how it was a few years ago, I would go to a dealer and get some real information on it if you are interested.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Yes, Volvo covers basic airfare and lodging and the program information is on their site.

When my parents bought theirs they turned the trip into a 40th anniversary adventure and extended the stay in Sweden and still saved between 2 and 4 grand I think. It could have been more though. Barrier has done any warranty work that has come up without any issues and they even offer the free car wash for life.

Rob

Quick Reply: Anyone want a volvo?