Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

$124 for a california stop, dam cameras

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008 | 10:03 PM
Launching!

Default $124 for a california stop, dam cameras

I got this in the mail today. Complete BS if you ask me! The camera recorded me turning right on red, but without a complete stop at the line.

Check out my criminal behavior, in the maroon Z24. Here's to ya Puyallup!

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=MVI_1185.flv

Hey Robert you might recognize the light, I was just leaving Costco. Watch out for this!
Old 06-20-2008 | 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

it looked like the guy in front o you did it also those bastards
Old 06-21-2008 | 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

I might get some of this

http://www.phantomplate.com/vidpop_kxan.html

http://www.phantomplate.com/
Old 06-21-2008 | 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea I see the cameras flashing all the time, and went through there on my bike tonight. I got one last year leaving the dyno day at about 76th and So tac way. They sent 3 pic with a close up of the plate. If they don'e have your face shot they can't prove it was you and many have been beating them. I couldn't cause I waited till the last minute and had to pay $100.
Robert
Old 06-21-2008 | 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Looks like they made lots of $ off all you dangerous drivers that day Chris! When in fact there should be a green turn arrow at that intersection....what a bunch of CRAP!

That spray looks like it works. Anyone try it? I wonder if that stuff is sold anywhere locally?
Old 06-21-2008 | 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

the only thing red light cameras are for is making a load of money not safety a friend of mine works for the company that makes the housing for the cameras and does traffic systems engineering he says after cameras are installed the rear end accident rate usually climbs anywhere from 200% to 500% for people slamming on there brakes on yellow lights i guess in AZ there talking about putting speeding cameras on interstates my.02
Old 06-21-2008 | 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Looks like they made lots of $ off all you dangerous drivers that day Chris! When in fact there should be a green turn arrow at that intersection....what a bunch of CRAP!
Agreed! Looking closely at that video, you see the two streams of cars with green arrows, then for no obvious reason that lane has a red. Granted, all lanes that direction probably share the same green, but there's no good reason for not allowing a right turn at that time since I don't see any cross traffic... WTF?

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2008 | 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPILS1
the only thing red light cameras are for is making a load of money not safety a friend of mine works for the company that makes the housing for the cameras and does traffic systems engineering he says after cameras are installed the rear end accident rate usually climbs anywhere from 200% to 500% for people slamming on there brakes on yellow lights i guess in AZ there talking about putting speeding cameras on interstates my.02
I was just at this light this morning and I came to up to the intersection and had a green arrow....right as I get close it turned yellow so I slammed on my brakes because I knew that the cars in front of me were going slow enough that I would have been caught in the intersection and got the exact same ticket. Almost got rearended so I can TOTALLY see how this would make rear-end accidents increase.
Old 06-21-2008 | 02:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 19torch99
I was just at this light this morning and I came to up to the intersection and had a green arrow....right as I get close it turned yellow so I slammed on my brakes because I knew that the cars in front of me were going slow enough that I would have been caught in the intersection and got the exact same ticket. Almost got rearended so I can TOTALLY see how this would make rear-end accidents increase.
Yeah no doubt, that's eFFed up. FYI, on the ticket info, there's a FAQ that says:

Q. If I am already in the intersection when a light turns red, will I get a citation?

A. No. Citations are only issued when a vehicle enters the intersection AFTER the light has turned red. If you enter the intersection on a green or yellow light you will not be photographed by the camera system.

That is kinda good to know, too bad it cost $124 to get that little fact.
Old 06-21-2008 | 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Yeah no doubt, that's eFFed up. FYI, on the ticket info, there's a FAQ that says:

Q. If I am already in the intersection when a light turns red, will I get a citation?

A. No. Citations are only issued when a vehicle enters the intersection AFTER the light has turned red. If you enter the intersection on a green or yellow light you will not be photographed by the camera system.

That is kinda good to know, too bad it cost $124 to get that little fact.
Actually REALLY good to know. Just the other week I was coming up south hill and got to the light at the top (which as a camera light as well) light turned yellow and I went to speed up then realized it was a camera light so quickly put on the breaks. I couldn't stop before the line and ended w/ half my car in the crosswalk when the light turned red. The flash went off and I thought for sure I'd be seeing a ticket here soon, but this gives me hopes that maybe I won't.
Old 06-21-2008 | 02:47 PM
Launching!

LoL, that's crazy for sure. Sounds like you'll get some relief knowing this. Here's the FAQ, check the last one.

https://www.violationinfo.com/WAPUY/html/info.htm
Old 06-21-2008 | 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Throw that **** in the trash. There's no evidence to show that you ever even received it or that you were driving the car that day asides from you posting it on the internet...
Old 06-21-2008 | 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
Throw that **** in the trash. There's no evidence to show that you ever even received it or that you were driving the car that day asides from you posting it on the internet...
Sound advice...

Just make sure to come up with a compelling story to tell the judge when your license is suspended for the FTA (The state will suspend your license for that.) and subsequent DWLS that is sure to follow. The good news will be that the original ticket will seem like a slap on the wrist next to the additional fines and rise in insurance premiums.

I hate those stupid cameras as much as the next guy. And it sucks that you got a ticket. But your options are limited to paying the ticket or getting a good lawyer.
Old 06-21-2008 | 09:43 PM
Launching!

Fight it. It wasn't you driving.
Fukin bastards. They're popping up like weeds all over lynnwood. I see at least one flash per day just during normal driving.

Bullshit.
Old 06-21-2008 | 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah the two lights I drive through to get to work are both red light cameras. Granted at the same time having my dad being t-boned by a guy that ran a red light at least the guys that are blatantly running red lights (not california rolling on a right on red during turn lane traffic like this ticket was for), I'm talkin the guys that are 100' from the light when it hits red and they gun it and blow right through it deserve to get the tickets.
Old 06-22-2008 | 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan'sSS
Sound advice...

Just make sure to come up with a compelling story to tell the judge when your license is suspended for the FTA (The state will suspend your license for that.) and subsequent DWLS that is sure to follow. The good news will be that the original ticket will seem like a slap on the wrist next to the additional fines and rise in insurance premiums.

I hate those stupid cameras as much as the next guy. And it sucks that you got a ticket. But your options are limited to paying the ticket or getting a good lawyer.
Definitely not. Unless it's certified mail there is no way to determine wether it ever reached his house. There is also no way to determine if he was driving said vehicle unless they have a picture of his mug behind the wheel. There are a lot more options than you think.
Old 06-22-2008 | 10:42 AM
Pathological Modifier

The "I never got the ticket in the mail" ploy NEVER works. They could give two *****. Now if you go to court and tell them it wasn't you driving, you will get off. Just keep in mind that its purgery, which is a felony, if you are lying.

"Mike Anglada of Central Kitsap had a winning defense, arguing under oath that although the car seen breaking the law in the video belongs to him, he wasn't driving.

"I just was irritated that I got a ticket I shouldn't have gotten," he said after the citation was dismissed.

There were three other dismissals, after people swore it wasn't them driving.

One woman began to assert that her child's father sometimes drives her car, until she was reminded by Docter that perjury is a felony.

Although the cameras are capable of photographing drivers, the Legislature has prohibited the practice."

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2008/j...-their-day-in/

Ryan K.
Old 06-22-2008 | 12:18 PM
Launching!

Yeah I feel kinda shitty for getting that ticket, but would feel even more shitty to lie or cheat my way out of it. dumdumdum I'll just drop the benjamin and then go have a few drinks.
Old 06-22-2008 | 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Good for them!

Most defendants watched the video of themselves running the light or failing to come to a complete stop while taking a right turn on a red light, and simply conceded they were wrong.
This article doesn't speak to well of some of the other people appearing in court.
I'd be the first person to agree that getting a ticket really, really sucks, but there's nothing dishonorable about making a mistake. Just "man up" and fix it.
Seems like the article says that some were willing to trade their personal integrity for 124 bucks.
Old 06-22-2008 | 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
Yeah I feel kinda shitty for getting that ticket, but would feel even more shitty to lie or cheat my way out of it. dumdumdum I'll just drop the benjamin and then go have a few drinks.
Yea that's ultimately what I did, though I did think about being a liar for a bit, lol. The thing about these tickets is the fact that they will not go on our driving record and thus not affecting the insurance premium. Here's the Vette getting the ticket leaving the Dyno Day with a big trophy in the pass seat, maybe that could have been my defense, judge I was looking at this trophy and... (have it in hand, lol).

Robert

Quick Reply: $124 for a california stop, dam cameras