Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

2008 Trans am Nationals, Dayton OH

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines getting ready to turn 100K miles itself, looks pretty good for a LT1 but its getting harder to find a LT1 with low miles and looks show ready. I'm proud of the work that I put into it and it does well at local shows etc. but really can't compete with newer TA's. This year I asked Sue to divide the 93-97 cars up in the heavy modified class like the other classes from the 98-2002
so we would have a better chance on winning. Then my plans changed and couldn't show this year, boo. Next year I will hopefully. Dave Servey's car wins every year and he has the ws6 LT1 that's one of my favorite TA's. He deserves it. Hard to beat him so he needs to move to a new class, hee.
I just hate to see cars win that in my opinion shouldn't but I guess that will never change like the white dragon TA. Its a lot of fun even if I don't win anything. Its always a fun weekend and hope it continues year after year.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4th Gens fit fine on trailers too...this is where mine rode all 1689 miles last weekend:

I am lucky enough that I do have other cars to drive (5 f-bodies....well my 68 doesnt run right now...and a 08 F350 to be exact) so I dont HAVE TO drive my SOM car daily. My daily driver is a 02 Firehawk...so I am not loosing out on any "enjoyment of driving it" by not driving the SOM car. If I wanted just one car to drive I would sell all those and buy a C6 Z06 or a Viper...but I like f-bodies and some deserve to be treated like "queens".
Old 08-27-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
Mines getting ready to turn 100K miles itself, looks pretty good for a LT1 but its getting harder to find a LT1 with low miles and looks show ready. I'm proud of the work that I put into it and it does well at local shows etc. but really can't compete with newer TA's. This year I asked Sue to divide the 93-97 cars up in the heavy modified class like the other classes from the 98-2002
so we would have a better chance on winning. Then my plans changed and couldn't show this year, boo. Next year I will hopefully. Dave Servey's car wins every year and he has the ws6 LT1 that's one of my favorite TA's. He deserves it. Hard to beat him so he needs to move to a new class, hee.
I just hate to see cars win that in my opinion shouldn't but I guess that will never change like the white dragon TA. Its a lot of fun even if I don't win anything. Its always a fun weekend and hope it continues year after year.
I don't think dave won anything this year.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's hard to believe but I'm glad others finally get a chance to win some. Can't wait to view the winners?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VanbibberLt1
links not working

i think i was pulling in when you NKY guys where leaving.

Where you in the red TA?

New links

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL367.../332128641.jpg

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL367.../332128650.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

I uploaded just a small portion of the 300 or so pics I took at the TA Nationals. Here is the link below.

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ionals%202008/

Also for those of you who I had taken a bunch of pictures of, I burned CD's with al your pics on them, and will be mailing them out tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Have any of you guys been to the judging meetings? I have talked to people that run the show, and they said that the "Presentation" portion of the judging sheets represents points awarded for the "WOW" factor... Unfortunatly that means different things to different judges.
For Me and my class, Firehawk Modified, that statement explained alot in previous years. Since they went to a Firehawk class I have consistently lost to cars that had alot more chrome and paint under the hood. I understood it provided more 'wow' factor, so I was resigned to the fact that I would not do very well, ever.
This year the judjing for my class was different. I got First Place over the same cars that have beat me consistently for the past several years. I think mileage had alot to play in that, as my mileage, 26k, was 4-6 times what the runner-ups had. Thats the only way I can explain it.
While the White TA is not my cup of tea, maybe the mileage was high, combined with the work(?) put into it put it over the top.
Or maybe the judges were closet ricers?? you never know from year to year, because the judges are different every year.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been entering my car since 02 when it was new. It is a DD. The first year I got 49 out of 50 on presentation & 193 total pts--and 1st place in Double I. In 04 , I was in MM and got 46 out of 50 in presentation & 183 overall for 2nd place. In 06 , one of the judges just gave me 15 3's & 18 overall ---for 63 pts --compared to judge #2 who gave me 85. My engine bay average is about 23 out of 25 for 6 years. That's were I think I do better than some other guys. Also Silver is not a color that wins alot except in the Anniv. classes. If the sun is out I will score --if it is cloudy --bad news. Red probably has the most awards in my classes over the years. Sometimes it helps to have a theme to get those WOW pts. Being the Silver Surfer and advertising it has helped. My car has 83,000 mi. on it but still looks pretty good.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bird Man
I have been entering my car since 02 when it was new. It is a DD. The first year I got 49 out of 50 on presentation & 193 total pts--and 1st place in Double I. In 04 , I was in MM and got 46 out of 50 in presentation & 183 overall for 2nd place. In 06 , one of the judges just gave me 15 3's & 18 overall ---for 63 pts --compared to judge #2 who gave me 85. My engine bay average is about 23 out of 25 for 6 years. That's were I think I do better than some other guys. Also Silver is not a color that wins alot except in the Anniv. classes. If the sun is out I will score --if it is cloudy --bad news. Red probably has the most awards in my classes over the years. Sometimes it helps to have a theme to get those WOW pts. Being the Silver Surfer and advertising it has helped. My car has 83,000 mi. on it but still looks pretty good.
Its one of my favorites.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your car is really clean--It always looks great.One of the best 95's around
Old 08-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
That's hard to believe but I'm glad others finally get a chance to win some. Can't wait to view the winners?
I'm with you on that. BTW I'm was the 1 that had the chameleon 96 TA in m2, they only gave out 2 places . The black TA that had the wizard of oz stuff took 2nd and how I don't know I took 1st.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chico05RST
I'm with you on that. BTW I'm was the 1 that had the chameleon 96 TA in m2, they only gave out 2 places . The black TA that had the wizard of oz stuff took 2nd and how I don't know I took 1st.
I'm glad i got my car out of M2.. i have 5 maybe 6 mods and they wanted to put me in m2 just because of my WS6 hood

and when i finally got back into G2 there were 2 other pre 96 cars with ram air hoods and aftermarket wheels too

btw, i got a good pic of your chameleon T/A

Originally Posted by HawkFanatic
Have any of you guys been to the judging meetings? I have talked to people that run the show, and they said that the "Presentation" portion of the judging sheets represents points awarded for the "WOW" factor... Unfortunatly that means different things to different judges.
For Me and my class, Firehawk Modified, that statement explained alot in previous years. Since they went to a Firehawk class I have consistently lost to cars that had alot more chrome and paint under the hood. I understood it provided more 'wow' factor, so I was resigned to the fact that I would not do very well, ever.
This year the judjing for my class was different. I got First Place over the same cars that have beat me consistently for the past several years. I think mileage had alot to play in that, as my mileage, 26k, was 4-6 times what the runner-ups had. Thats the only way I can explain it.
While the White TA is not my cup of tea, maybe the mileage was high, combined with the work(?) put into it put it over the top.
Or maybe the judges were closet ricers?? you never know from year to year, because the judges are different every year.

yeah i went to the meeting on saturday and a couple of us brought up our experiences with the tech judges

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 08-28-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I'm glad i got my car out of M2.. i have 5 maybe 6 mods and they wanted to put me in m2 just because of my WS6 hood

and when i finally got back into G2 there were 2 other pre 96 cars with ram air hoods and aftermarket wheels too

btw, i got a good pic of your chameleon T/A

yeah i went to the meeting on saturday and a couple of us brought up our experiences with the tech judges

I have gone to those meetings--they tell you one thing and the guys who judge sometimes do their own thing.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm surprised at the number of people who do not enter the show and just complain about everything.

How would you like no show to go to and just leave your car in the garage or drive it to work or local shows on the weekend.

I trailered a brand new 2001 sunset orange convertible to the show And did not place in my class. So I decided not to worry about the trophy thing any longer, I go to see people and cars I rarely see except for once a year. It is great seeing all those birds every year and style all in one place. If I win a trophy great if not no biggie.
The judging may not be the best but at least we have somewhere to go once a year and be judged. Maybe you can volunteer to judge it is not easy at all. Next year pick a class and judge them but not something your car would be in like first gen modified and see how fun that is. You can always take your car to the POCI and have it gold certified with professional judges see how well that goes They will deduct if you have to much shine on parts that should not shine.

Just think if they did not have a new location for next year who would we be complaining about. I know I would not have been to happy with no show to go to.

I like to support the people and club that brings us these shows with out our support shows like this will stop and we can all talk about them on the internet and swap pictures.
Much rather see them in person and meet the people that own them.
Heck I know who silver surfer is and I have never even talked to him but I know his car and a bunch of others in this thread.

Sorry about my soap box but just hate to see the show go away.
The Great lakes show was canceled. Not sure why but lack of entries and attendance was I'm sure a big reason.

See you all next year.100k miles drove to and from the show.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sunset: I enter every year and I don't expect to win anything --because I want to go to see guys that live far away and I don't see every year. I usually work in the registration area doing the raffles on Friday. My dad passed away the week before and I was unable to do that. I like to see the guys come in from all around the country. I have made many new friends--like The guy from GA last year with the Betty Boop car. I enjoyed talking to Robbie from GA who was in my class this year. My personal opinion is that his car was the best--but I am not a judge and not sure I want to be. If any of my post sounds like a complaint ,I am sorry they are not meant to be. I work hard on my car every year for this show--it is the most important one to me. I was sorry the GLF show was cancelled this year--I was looking forward to that show also. Sue does a nice job with that show as big as it is. No matter what you do someone will always have a differing opinion.
When I was a head football coach--some of the boosters liked some play calls and others didn't .You can't please everyone --that's life. I will always go to the Nats as long as they have it. It is a fun weekend.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bird man was not directing at anyone just an observation. I know you enter every year I believe your car is very nice and you do a great job making it look great with all the miles. I to have meet alot of people and like seeing them every year.

I to will go every year and bring something for all to see.
It is a great weekend.
I will make sure to look you up next year to say hi.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Sunset, I agree with your points here. I love going to the show and would be very upset if it ceased to exist. I hope the GLF show will continue in 09 because I want to go there. Like Scott said in the meeting on Sat, if you want a trophy the shop is right down the road and they're $12 or so. I like the people, the cars and the fact that you cannot turn around and spit without hitting a Trans Am, that to me is the best part. Is the judging questionable? Yes. Does it matter that much? No. This was a top notch weekend and I am still grinning from all the fun I had.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i agree with what was said, i was not out for a trophy or anything, i just wanted to be placed in a class where i at least had a chance, not in that heavy custom where its almost a prerequisite that you have thousands of $ worth of custom stuff under the hood,

and yeah it was a helluva weekend that i will attend again
Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sunset01TA
Bird man was not directing at anyone just an observation. I know you enter every year I believe your car is very nice and you do a great job making it look great with all the miles. I to have meet alot of people and like seeing them every year.

I to will go every year and bring something for all to see.
It is a great weekend.
I will make sure to look you up next year to say hi.

I know you were not directing it at me. I just wanted to share some views.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
yeah i agree with what was said, i was not out for a trophy or anything, i just wanted to be placed in a class where i at least had a chance, not in that heavy custom where its almost a prerequisite that you have thousands of $ worth of custom stuff under the hood,

and yeah it was a helluva weekend that i will attend again

What about the guys who have $1000's in their interiors or in their paint jobs.
Under the hood is only 25 pts.
Or $3000 worth of wheels and tires

Quick Reply: 2008 Trans am Nationals, Dayton OH