Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

2008 Trans am Nationals, Dayton OH

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by casey02ws6
Loss of credibility in my opinion.

Your car was certainly deserving but the other 2 I think they missed the boat. It is very subjective but it appears they made the selections based on the # of things done to the cars rather than the quality.
Ding Ding Ding....... This is a reason why I really don't feel bad about not making it up the past couple of years. The real event to me is the Tipp City Cruise. That is a blast!!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I've been five years but only once on Sunday. I like the cruise-in and getting a few items on Sat. T-Shirts etc and looking around but the judging is real bad and this year proves it again. Last year the half pink and half purple car won a big award with lambo doors. I guess to have a national winning show car we need more graphics or wild paint jobs?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes --she did get your plate--and 50+ others
Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
I agree, I've been five years but only once on Sunday. I like the cruise-in and getting a few items on Sat. T-Shirts etc and looking around but the judging is real bad and this year proves it again. Last year the half pink and half purple car won a big award with lambo doors. I guess to have a national winning show car we need more graphics or wild paint jobs?
Gary - I saw your car at the Tipp City Cruise in but never did see you.

I love the Tipp City cruise in - the show on Sunday is a joke. I akm not upset I did not win an award - there were nicer cars there - just cannot believe the ones that did.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

All your cars looked great! I wish I had put mine in the show but it wasn't completely done so it'll have to wait til next year. I was parked across the street with the NKY crowd.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...ows/TA%20Nats%

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Couldn't get the links to work?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
Couldn't get the links to work?
yeah i couldnt get his links to work either
Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Teching In

I know the show is run by volunteers, and they really put allot of effort into it and I thank them for that. But man it really makes me sick.... If anyone is reading this from the TA Club of America, please note I'm willing to pay a few bucks extra to get PRO's to judge the cars. I'd think with 450-500 cars a extra $3-4 a person could raise about $1500 or so to pay for the judges... I'm so glad I didn't spend the whole weekend cleaning my car like I always did in the past...

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I really appreciate all the compliments on my car both on here and in person....that’s what I built the car for. As far as the judging for the show...I will just say "No Comment".
I have to agree with the others, I feel your car should have won our class... And sure as hell not the car that musta missed the exit for the import so he decided to show up at the NATs.... Next year I'll just bring my Honda...

Of course I'm a bit partial to SOM cars
Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by casey02ws6
I got downgraded out of the MM class this year and back into K-3 (was KK). Tech was definitely inconsistent as was judging. I have judged before so I know how difficult it can be but whoever thought that the top 2 cars in M3 were the 2 they chose are crazy. Someone please post the pics of the white trans am with the red dragon painted on the side and all of the under hood and body LEDs. Or the interior would be a good place to start with the red spray painted interior trim pieces. That's it - no more comments.

There was only 1 trophy in the K3 class - car that won was very nice - no complaints from me on that one.
I took the time to take a couple of pics. I painted my intake and took my time to make sure there are no lines, bubbles, smudges, or texture in the paint. This person, painted parts of their engine bay, you could still see the texture, and where the paint bubbled on the front support/ battery. But if that is what that person likes, then more power to them.

Zeus-
I agree. They should have better and more judges. My part of the parking lot didn't get judged untill after 1:45.

My other suggestions would be to:
1. Don't stop selling water at 3pm. Especially when the awards last untill 6:30.
2. Banners and posters bring in the money at the auction. Get more of those along with clocks and watches.
3. The cruise didn't start until 5. Cars were leaving at 3 pm. I think it would be cooler to have everyone line up and go in a huge line of Firebirds. Pick a path, get the cops involved and it can be a good time. Contact Be Cool Inc. in Bay City, MI. for information.
4. If you leave at 5 for the cruise waiting until 9 for the awards is kinda a long time. You can walk the shops and look at the exact same cars that you saw earlier in the day 2 times and eat supper in about 2.5 hrs.
5. Maybe there should be a line for judging. When you are ready you drive into the line get looked at and go back to your class. That way you can have everyone go when they are ready, Friday/Sat/Sun. Ask the Great Lake firebird gathering for more info.
6. I appreciate what the Winners Circle did by removing themselves from the competition. I don't see the need in calling everyones name car and class and waiting for them to come from the back and then starting to call the next person's name. Call up all of the winners Circle, get a group photo and give everyone a plaque and move on.
7. Either have a set number of trophies 3 per class or 1 per class. Some classes like stock had 4 places, others had 3, heavy modified had 2, and some other classes had 1. Be consistant. Maybe give applause to the runner up and then just first place.

Just a few suggestions that I have.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Trans am Nationals, Dayton OH-overdone.jpg   2008 Trans am Nationals, Dayton OH-gaudy-engine.jpg   2008 Trans am Nationals, Dayton OH-gaudy-engine-detail.jpg  
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wino
All your cars looked great! I wish I had put mine in the show but it wasn't completely done so it'll have to wait til next year. I was parked across the street with the NKY crowd.

links not working

i think i was pulling in when you NKY guys where leaving.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by prince xizor
I took the time to take a couple of pics. I painted my intake and took my time to make sure there are no lines, bubbles, smudges, or texture in the paint. This person, painted parts of their engine bay, you could still see the texture, and where the paint bubbled on the front support/ battery. But if that is what that person likes, then more power to them.

Zeus-
I agree. They should have better and more judges. My part of the parking lot didn't get judged untill after 1:45.

My other suggestions would be to:
1. Don't stop selling water at 3pm. Especially when the awards last untill 6:30.
2. Banners and posters bring in the money at the auction. Get more of those along with clocks and watches.
3. The cruise didn't start until 5. Cars were leaving at 3 pm. I think it would be cooler to have everyone line up and go in a huge line of Firebirds. Pick a path, get the cops involved and it can be a good time. Contact Be Cool Inc. in Bay City, MI. for information.
4. If you leave at 5 for the cruise waiting until 9 for the awards is kinda a long time. You can walk the shops and look at the exact same cars that you saw earlier in the day 2 times and eat supper in about 2.5 hrs.
5. Maybe there should be a line for judging. When you are ready you drive into the line get looked at and go back to your class. That way you can have everyone go when they are ready, Friday/Sat/Sun. Ask the Great Lake firebird gathering for more info.
6. I appreciate what the Winners Circle did by removing themselves from the competition. I don't see the need in calling everyones name car and class and waiting for them to come from the back and then starting to call the next person's name. Call up all of the winners Circle, get a group photo and give everyone a plaque and move on.
7. Either have a set number of trophies 3 per class or 1 per class. Some classes like stock had 4 places, others had 3, heavy modified had 2, and some other classes had 1. Be consistant. Maybe give applause to the runner up and then just first place.

Just a few suggestions that I have.

Some good ideas Chris.
I see you like the Dragon car!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bird Man
Some good ideas Chris.
I see you like the Dragon car!
+1 on this one, very good ideas. I agree with every one of these ideas. Tipp City really was tooo long, really you can condense that down to 2 hours before the awards. Hell half the people left long before the awards and those that stuck around didn't get any awards anyway.

I would look at a national show like this one and hope that we can get some professional judging here. A judge that will actually know what to look for and know what he is looking at. I for one, would pay more for real judges.

I like the idea of a line for the judging, kinda interesting. I will go the Great Lakes Firebird Gathering next year and see how that goes.

I really had a great time and do not want to complain but even the winner of my class said that my car should have won, as did everyone else. I would love to know what the judges saw on his car that they didn't see on mine.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this the one that won MM!?!?!?!? What the, I am so glad I decided to back out and save some money this year.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

8. Also have points for miles. 1 point for every 20,000 miles. If you have a Yellow CETA with 68 miles from going on the trailer/off the trailer you get 0 pts. You have a 99 TA with 49,000 you get 2 points. If you have a 72 firebird with 164,000 you get 8 points. It might way out the fact that I have stone chips in the front bumper.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

8. Also have points for miles. 1 point for every 20,000 miles. If you have a Yellow CETA with 68 miles from going on the trailer/off the trailer you get 0 pts. You have a 99 TA with 49,000 you get 2 points. If you have a 72 firebird with 164,000 you get 8 points. It might way out the fact that I have stone chips in the front bumper.
Or an 83,000 TA v.s. trailer queens.
I don't mind low milers--but trailers boys--- ---I drive mine in the winter and I like the challange of competing against the guys who don't.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ezekielta

Is this the one that won MM!?!?!?!? What the, I am so glad I decided to back out and save some money this year.
That is the one.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

The reason that some cars are trailered and not driven that many miles at all is to preserve them as originals. That is the case with my GTA. Yes I trailered it, no I don't own a trailer, so I paid $$ to rent one. The weekend was espensive BUT I do get to continue to have a car that looks as it did the day it drove off the showroom floor. It may be unfair to have DD cars compete against trailer queens but all that means is that we need to have different classes, Driven classes and Trailered classes. These are 2 different types of cars for 2 different purposes. I applaud the guys that DD their cars and they look great, that takes a great deal of care and work. My buddy SPRAYED 01 drove his car 350 miles, we cleaned it for a few hours and it wound up in HPP, then drove it 350 miles back and moved a desk in it the next day! Kudos to him.
But I like the feeling of people being able to look at my car and tell me that it looks so damn brand new that it brings back memories for them. That is a feeling that brings me satisfaction, that I am able to maintain a car that can serve as a time capsule for people. Also, an all origianal car with low low miles is always handy to have around for reference for restorations!
That is why I went through the trouble and cost of trailering my car and will trailer it again next year, so people can enjoy it for what it is.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree to that, i have 122k miles on my car, and while it's not perfect, i think it looks damn good...this most likely can be attributed to some of the paint work ive had done (the sides of my car and the rear hatch still have original paint though, the roof, hood bumpers, headlight doors and gfx have all been resprayed within the last 6 months to 3 years) but what really helps is the fact my car has never been driven in winter..it spent its first 12 years in a non winter climate and i kept it in the garage all last winter

i think think they should have a "100k+ unrestored" class for each of the generations

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 08-27-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mark--If I had a 2nd or 3rd Gen. I would trailer it too. I only have one car --my 02 TA--so it gets driven wheter I like it or not. I never thought about going to shows when I bought it. I have been able tp do well in shows in spite of the miles.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Teching In

agreed on the judging. i decided last year i would not enter any of my cars until changes are made to the judging. i enjoy hanging out and seeing everyone - but i'm not going to waste $$$ entering that joke of a show. perhaps next year i'll try the tipp city cruise show though...

Quick Reply: 2008 Trans am Nationals, Dayton OH