Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

side pipes but not your average ones please give your opinons

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default side pipes but not your average ones please give your opinons

I just read over a post a c5 owner had made where he had his exhaust exit rite before the doors and was wondering if anyone had ever considered this on a trans am since those fake air vents are the sides are begging for a use. if anyoe had done this how did you do it if it hasnt been done can anyone help me come up with a plan to do it or even photo shop itto see if I am still keen on the idea after actualy seing it.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm im not sure if there would be enough room for piping to get to those vents because you have the wheel well, shocks, then door. Im not really sure, jasonww a member on here has some radical ideas, but hasnt been on in a while.

If it could work, it could be pretty bad ***
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

yeah I was kinda hoping jason would chime in eventualyespecialy considering if he couldnt give me any ideas on how to do it he could atleast give me an idea of what it looks like. I figure both vents are 2x2 give or take a little and if I could pipe some 3 inch tubing close to them I could make some 1.5 or 2.0 dual tips coming out them holes or just before the holes as to keep a mush over them to make people wonder. dont realy now I will prob talk to my pops and see if we cant come up with something. Normaly when me and my brother sit down and think we can come up with a decent theory on how to do something and my pops can make it happen but this may be a lil bit of a strech to do and make it look great but we will see.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

man that would look and sound badass! make it happen! wish i had some tips for ya though lol
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

yeah only thing I keep thinking tho is I am gonna need a set of realy cheapo headers to mutalate for this project so it may need to wait till spring but hell the car is torn apart at the momen I might as well try to get an idea what I am working with now. this is definatlygonna be a welded piec tho I dont trust them clamps my old blazer showed my that one. I will probobly start working on it next saterday or sunday after my cam install and finishing up my motor.So if anyone has anytips pease let me know. also for easy of construction the first one will be mocked up using pvc just to see what bends / sizes I can fit in there. Do not worry metal will follow once the mold/ set up s figured out.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Something like this? I had this set up, i ran two spiral flows right after the headers then ran pipe to each side. I had to cut the sheet metal on the car to tuck it up some for ground clearance as well as looks, so that it would be more into the skirt. I have no pics of the exhaust from the bottom.

I went to a different set up because it was too loud for my taste.

Tips are laying in the garage.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Just re read your post. Before the door. lol man that would be nice but where would you put the mufflers?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

if I where to put mufflers or cats on it I would most likely need to put them directly on the headers and then put a u bend directly after them to bring it back up to the fake vents on the quarter panel. I realy hope I can pull this off it would realy be wicked. Also if the exhaust ever starts to bother my I can just turn the radio up more. It would be awsome to get this finished and done up rite hell if I can do it simply enuff I will post up a how to on here. I doubt many people would be interested in this style exhaust if I can make it work but hell theres at least one other crazy guy or gal around who would like it.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Man honestly there is no room for a muffler in those areas, it would have to be somekind of bullet style. It would be extremely loud, the radio, you won't hear it at all. If you have a M6 the drone from six gear will leave you deaf. I have seen somekind of foreign car i think it was a Jag. It was on this forum, it had the mufflers standing up vertical, one on each side. the tips then came off the mufflers and went out through the vents. It had flex hose right after the headers to take the vibration and movement of the motor.

Last edited by Pheonix; 12-11-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

the guy with the c5 had the mufflers hidden up inthe fenders. theres some fab work involved without a doubt and he had it run off a twin turbo setup.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the only way you can get it to work w/ mufflers, is your going to have to route it towards the middle of the car to make room for mufflers and the run it back.....restrictive, but it'll still be bad ***
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know what your tolerance is but with the exhaust dumped ahead of the doors it's gonna be pretty bad as far as fumes go. my exhaust is dumped under the car about 1 foot behind my seat and it will give me a headache with the windows down. when the car is moving it's no biggie but lights and traffic suck
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

good luck, it is going to be loud as hell, essentially open headers if not louder. that vette was sick, if you can make it look like that then do it
Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll probable have to run tips thru those fender vents because if you don't, the heat and carbon from the exhaust gasses will damage the fenders and paint...well, nevermind the paint once the plastic fender melts! Personally I don't like the idea. It's just not the place for exhaust to go. The tips through the side skirts looks mean tho! I considered doing that, but what would I put in the bumper's exhaust openings??

Swat
Old 12-11-2008, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=Pheonix;10641008]Something like this? I had this set up, i ran two spiral flows right after the headers then ran pipe to each side. I had to cut the sheet metal on the car to tuck it up some for ground clearance as well as looks, so that it would be more into the skirt. I have no pics of the exhaust from the bottom.

[\QUOTE]

Can you post under body pics of how the exhaust is routed and what size pipe/ Mufflers were you able to use.

I really want to do this on my camaro but thought it was not possable. Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=GTABurnout;10645193]
Originally Posted by Pheonix
Something like this? I had this set up, i ran two spiral flows right after the headers then ran pipe to each side. I had to cut the sheet metal on the car to tuck it up some for ground clearance as well as looks, so that it would be more into the skirt. I have no pics of the exhaust from the bottom.

[\QUOTE]

Can you post under body pics of how the exhaust is routed and what size pipe/ Mufflers were you able to use.

I really want to do this on my camaro but thought it was not possable. Thanks
I used two spiral flows right after the headers then routed pipe to each tip. It was pretty simple but i had to cut my car right where the tips are to make some clearance. The pipe was just 3" to 2.5" right before the tips. I dont have any under the car pics. Never had it up that high to get good shots.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Launching!

thats cool man nice job making yourself unique. one of a kind ha
Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swiat34
You'll probable have to run tips thru those fender vents because if you don't, the heat and carbon from the exhaust gasses will damage the fenders and paint...well, nevermind the paint once the plastic fender melts! Personally I don't like the idea. It's just not the place for exhaust to go. The tips through the side skirts looks mean tho! I considered doing that, but what would I put in the bumper's exhaust openings??

Swat
X2. The heat and carbon will destroy the paint on the fender and the door. All of the fumes will go inside the car also, which isn't very safe for you.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Alot of states require the exhaust to exit past the passenger compartment.

Quick Reply: side pipes but not your average ones please give your opinons