Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

POR 15 users in here please

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default POR 15 users in here please

need to go over my cage and touch up all the spots so i figure i will just paint the whole thing over wondering how it comes out with a brush i had seen some people have done it before and wanted some tips
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

brushed will no look as slick as sprayed, granted that stuff really doesn't spray all that slick anyways, might as well use a black paint or spraybomb it
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1CMR
brushed will no look as slick as sprayed, granted that stuff really doesn't spray all that slick anyways, might as well use a black paint or spraybomb it

not true... por 15 will lay out very well while brushed... just make sure you do not do it on a humid or rainy day as it will make it cure faster and not flow out as well. just make sure that any parts exposed to a lot of sunlight are topcoated... por15 chalks up when exposed to direct sunlight over time. You can also reduce por15 with their solvent and spray it through a regular spray gun if you don't want to go the brush route.

oh yea... if you haven't used por 15 before.. make sure you read the entire can before use... might end up with either black hands for a month... or a half used can that you can't open anymore.. haha
Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricer
not true... por 15 will lay out very well while brushed... just make sure you do not do it on a humid or rainy day as it will make it cure faster and not flow out as well. just make sure that any parts exposed to a lot of sunlight are topcoated... por15 chalks up when exposed to direct sunlight over time. You can also reduce por15 with their solvent and spray it through a regular spray gun if you don't want to go the brush route.

oh yea... if you haven't used por 15 before.. make sure you read the entire can before use... might end up with either black hands for a month... or a half used can that you can't open anymore.. haha
Great advice, and when you go to close the can, put saran wrap over the open can first, then put the lid on. Otherwise, you might end up like me with a lid that is essentially "welded" in place by the cured paint that you just can't seem to get out.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

there is also a product called Chassis Saver... a slightly cheaper but still damn good competitor of POR 15
Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

thanks alot guys that is great information what type of brush did you all use normal stranded, sponge what did you all find out was best to use
Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Launching!

I have used POR 15 and their POR Blackote (SP) both nice products....but I dont think they laid down that well....I think for your cage you should just get Extreme Chassis Black Gloss...from Eastwood Co (not sure if allowed to post company name...sorry mods)....very easy to use and pretty cheap.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I like a sponge brush, no brushmarks so it levels out even better and also bristles tend to come out of a regular brush and it sucks pickin them out of the paint