Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

paint intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint intake?

just bought an ls6 intake and was thinking of painting it before i put it on. I cleaned it really good already but would i need to have it blasted? maybe sand it down or will paint stick to polymer?

Im not going to have it professionally done but i was thinking high quality spray paint. anyone done it? this all came as an after thought so im fishing for info but if its not much trouble id like to.

any color suggestions? LOL the car is navy blue, under hood is not dressed up at all. thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Teching In

There is an adhesive called Bull Dog that can be found in any auto parts store. You will need to start with this, Bull Dog is a chemical thats sprayed on to help paint adhesion on surfaces like plastic, fiberglass, "polimer", and etc.,etc. Dont coat this stufff like you would paint, just hold the can 18 or so inches away from what your spraying and just mist it. Be sure you get it covered though that way every inch of it gets sprayed, if you dont, the places you missed will fish eye and look like ****. As far as color goes thats up to you, if it was mine I might go with the color of the car that is if its not some loud *** color like canary yellow. Oh yeah, the first coat of paint you lay down be sure to apply it the same way you did the Bull Dog, hold the can 12 or so inches way from the intake and mist it just enuff so that your not laying a heavy coat. Remember on the first coat you dont want to cover the whole thing, in other words dont expect to color the whole thing, your gonna see some of the original color still. Wait 10 minutes or so till its almost completely dry. What this does is provides a good surface for paint adhesion. After 10 minutes of drying your ready to put a good coat on it. Be sure you cover evrything on this coat and make sure you really wet it but not so much as to run it. On your overlap make sure what your overlapping is not dry when you go back over it or you will have dry spots. Because your using spray paint your really gonna have to keep it wet or its gonna look like crap. People think there is no art to using a spray can but Im here to tell you its more difficult to do than using a proffesional gun. The gun however needs a compressor and reducer, mixing paint and all that jazz but on big jobs its a must to use but for small things like your intake and hell even motorcycle stuff you can get away with using a can. Anyways hope this helps you and sorry its so long, I like to be thorough with my advice. Good Luck and all the best, Josh
Old 06-09-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/5046361-post9.html
Old 06-10-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate this new search function, i looked for an hour and a half last night and couldnt find anything on painting an intake. I knew damn well it was out there i just couldnt get the search to find it. Thanks to both of yall, im pretty good with spray paint but the adhiesive stuff is a huge help. told me exactly what i wanted to know

-Jeff
Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Somebodys gotta have a color suggestion though right?

pics of my car, under hood looks bone stock except for a few missing.....errrr.... power robbers
https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10614
Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
Somebodys gotta have a color suggestion though right?

pics of my car, under hood looks bone stock except for a few missing.....errrr.... power robbers
https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10614
id probably go silver..
Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had my FAST painted orange. it looks kick ***.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...-manifold.html
Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow thats REALLY orange. Does the orange intake dominate your engine bay cuz its so bright? I was thinking red cuz it goes with blue but im afraid it would be too much. also considering high gloss black
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

PS if not too much trouble post links to pics of yalls under hood with painted intakes, that will help a bunch
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow thats REALLY orange. Does the orange intake dominate your engine bay cuz its so bright? I was thinking red cuz it goes with blue but im afraid it would be too much. also considering high gloss black

yea,it gets your attention. well worth it.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive narrowed it down to high gloss black or paint code navy blue, im leaning towards black. Got it sanded down with 330 grit tonight. any tips for getting into all the nooks and crannys? i busted out the Dremel for a few places but im lost on areas like where the egr used to be, the crevice next to the injector, etc. did yall just clean those places as best you can and go with it? ima sand it with 500 grit and use high build primer, try to get a dark colored primer that way no matter what itall blend in if i miss spots. tips?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

has anybody tryed useing the Krylon made for plastics? it says on the can no sanding no primer. seen it at walmart the other day and made me wonder.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

has anybody tryed useing the Krylon made for plastics? it says on the can no sanding no primer. seen it at walmart the other day and made me wonder.
That wouldn't be good for the intake. That stuff was made for like lawn chairs and stuff. You need a high temp paint that can take temp abuse. VHT makes a paint that's designed for engines, that's what I would use. It'd be a bitch to take all that time to prep then have a paint chip and flake from warping after you put it on
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scira
That wouldn't be good for the intake. That stuff was made for like lawn chairs and stuff. You need a high temp paint that can take temp abuse. VHT makes a paint that's designed for engines, that's what I would use. It'd be a bitch to take all that time to prep then have a paint chip and flake from warping after you put it on
yeah that was my first thought too
Old 06-16-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wet sanded mine with 400. Then primed and wet sanded again with 400. Then base coat/clear coat. I went with the same color as my car. I would say to try and paint it with whatever theme you want for your car. NBM and Silver is a good looking combo. Or Black and NBM. jmo

Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks great! You've inspired me to do mine......as soon as I have some downtime...haha. Great job bro!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow that thing looks Fantastic!!! how did you sand into all the little spots? im wet sanding mine too, i dry sanded with 330 now moving on to wet 400 then wet 800, primer sand etc. I was gonna go with black but now im thinking blue like my car cuz itall stand out a little more. Did you spray paint that? did you wet sand the clear coat?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Looks awesome, I am going to do mine. I have an LS1 intake i am going to try it on first.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow that thing looks Fantastic!!! how did you sand into all the little spots? im wet sanding mine too, i dry sanded with 330 now moving on to wet 400 then wet 800, primer sand etc. I was gonna go with black but now im thinking blue like my car cuz itall stand out a little more. Did you spray paint that? did you wet sand the clear coat?
I did it in my garage. I used a compressor/gun setup. I've seen good rattle can jobs as well. It's just like any other item you paint. Prep is the key.

I just took my time to sand all the little spots. Folding and creasing the paper till it fit. The clear hasn't been touched. No need to wetsand if it lays like glass. Believe me, it doesn't always turn out like that for me. Eventually i'll throw some wax on it.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive got a compressor, suppose i could borrow a gun...... Ill work on prep first lol