Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

roof panel issue....best ways...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof panel issue....best ways...

I just bought a 2001 Anniversary Firehawk in good shape, but has roof bubbles. I looked to find a roof panel part to just buy, paint and replace, but cannot find one, and new here so cant post looking for a good perfect black roof, so....

options are go to junk yards and search, or fix mine. I dont wish to spend time stripping it, correcting bubbles, and more bubbles come up later in other spots. I heard it was an adhesive issue that caused it.

I thought of stripping it, laying some 2k, then some slick sand to build it and seal it, and it has polyester in it as well to lay another level to it. Its black and decent paint so should be less obvious doing whole panel, may cut into quarter to blend but doubt it. A little off black on roof wont matter much due to illusion the ttops create, or I am assuming. We redid my cousins roof from a branch nailing it and it was 2 year old black and we just shot the whole panel again.

anyone who has been through it let me know. Its around 1200 I heard for gm to do, but its pretty simple, really simple if I can find a black roof perfect!!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Stripping the roof wont fix it. It happened to my car and i got lucky and a local dealer fixed it for free. Your car is 8 years old now so im sure a dealer wont fix yours, but you can get the parts from dealers. If you have T-tops its not nearly as expensive as a full coupe car like mine. If i remember the sail panel cost 288 and the roof panel cost 600 or so. They just peal up and are flimsy fiberglass so you wont be able to salvage one from a junk yard. Get some all weather adheasive in some big tubes for a calking gun and go to town. There is a thread on here some were with step by step and lots of pics showing the fix.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will NEVER be able to fix the existing panel . . . you will be wasting labor and material . . .

Order a new hoop . . . GM still has them.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Teching In

I tryed once to fix that problem and a few months down the line they came back. I say get a new one.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

I've got a few of the hoops that I'll sell for 50 bucks each, but it's not worth the cost to ship them. If you are in Texas and can pick one up, I'll be glad to hook you up with one. If not, check ebay. I bought 10 of them for 500 bucks, but I only need one. You can order the little corner pieces online for about 25 bucks shipped. I just ordered two of them. You still have to have the hoops painted though. I thought I would be able to sell the hoops I didn't need, but they are so bulky to ship, it makes it not worth the shipping for people to buy them.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but if hoops means the ttop back roof, yep I will take one, maybe two in case I screw up. Will be a big savings for me, I can paint, so thats no biggie.

I will pm you my number and I am in NW Houston and will owe you big time. I need to search the part number for the little appliques and get those as well, got the part number.

I tried several dealers, even pushed the "you should take pride in correcting a defect on a rare car" deal being its a Anniv Firehawk, and they all basically said its a service advisement, not a recall. I said I guess the 12000 or so cars screwed up should be advised nothing will be done to reward their purchase of a GM product.

The car is past a 36K mile warranty but still less than 80 and with exception of the roof, pretty dang clean.

Thanks alot , anything I can help you with, please ask.

Jason
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimeSScene
I've got a few of the hoops that I'll sell for 50 bucks each, but it's not worth the cost to ship them. If you are in Texas and can pick one up, I'll be glad to hook you up with one.
Where is Texas are you?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Teching In

He is in Texarkana, spoke via pm earlier today, think he is pretty busy during day. Not too bad from you...