Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Who tints tail lights here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

just out of curiosity, do you paint cars or do auto body work? if so, i completely see where you are coming from with a very high opinion of your work. i'd definitelt expect that from someone who does this as a profession. so there is a little bias there probably. in the same way we VHT users are a llittle biased being that, we all feel our lights look great, and we know we didnt pay nearly as much, for what MOST, non-painters, would see as the same quality paintg job.

and i dont at all see where you get rice. that is an overdone, generic criticism of anything that someone sems to dislike for themselves- for many things, that really have nothing to do with imports specifically. and that is an EXTREMELY irritating, tired, used and abused, term for criticism. i ask that ALL users of the word expand their vocab, and let that word rest in peace.

EDIT***- nevermind, just checked your profile, and my assumptions were correct. so you gotta see that you, as a painter/body guy, see things probably completely different than the average person. because personally, and many will agree, there is NOTHING wrong with a VHT job.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-17-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, I have a almost full can of VHT sitting in my garage, and I saw that key hole delete in another thread. So I might as well give this a whirl on my tail lights.

Gotta love essentially free mods.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Sweet, I have a almost full can of VHT sitting in my garage, and I saw that key hole delete in another thread. So I might as well give this a whirl on my tail lights.

Gotta love essentially free mods.
im right there with you man. do the key hole delete. you'll really like it. its simple, yet really cleans it up.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see where your coming from crimson, its just my personal preference that when i see it, i just think "half-assed" and that thought is what i have for most ricer attempts at whatever they do...not trying to bag on you guys, your stuff looks okay, its just what i think...
Old 11-18-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine doesnt look rice. Looks the same as yours... I could see if its just flat dull quick VHT hack job, but were not hacks
Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

i also paint cars fora living and imo spray bomb clear does not even compare to the results you get out of a gun. i have also done many sets and they shine better than stock paint.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously you're gonna get a better finish out of clearcoat out of a professional spray gun guys. We now that, but damn just because we used rattle can and wetsanded and buffed them doesn't mean our tail lights suck and make us look like hacks or "ricer" tail lights. Not all of us have spray guns, or have the time to bring them to a body shop so I just did it with a rattle can.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Teching In

i would have done em for nothing...i love that **** and have done all my friends around here and every car or truck iv had...and i always wet sand and buff them untill they look like glass..nothing like tinted tails..
Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread was destined for this -->

hahaha
Old 11-24-2009, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend of mine just finished clearing the ones out of my CETA this weekend. I'll get some pics of them on the car this weekend if the weather is decent.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

You should probably know it is illegal to tint your lights in most if not all states.
Take into consideration tail light film tint. Its about $16 and about 20 minutes worth of work.
It is removeable and leaves no residue or anything.
I did my friends RX8 for free as advertisement and he loves the way it looks.
Oh yeah and I also ''rattle canned'' his berger panel mod lol
Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Did all his lights with this stuff and also rattle canned his wheels.
So far its been about 7 months and everything still looks the same as when I did the work.
Not bad for not costing him anything, Im just glad he let me do it.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 AM
TECH Addict

Not sure where all this "VHT/Rattle Can Clear looks half assed" BS is coming from but that's just what it is... BS. There's nothing wrong with using VHT and a duplicolor clearcoat. You just need to spend some time wetsanding/buffing and it will turn out just fine.

I've done numerous sets. The last set on my own car I had professionally cleared in a paint booth just because I was having a hood painted so I just had them clear the lights while they were at it and there is no difference. The only difference is the lights come out of the booth basically looking as good as the Rattle can lights did after all of the wetsanding/buffing. So it saves some work but the end product is nearly identical.

Point is, using VHT/Duplicolor clear works just fine... if you put in the work it will look great.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

so if thats the case you should feel comfortable about spray can clearing a panel on your car right? if its so identical then a body shop would do it right?.....give me a break dude, leave the spray cans to grafitti and honda's...
Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
so if thats the case you should feel comfortable about spray can clearing a panel on your car right? if its so identical then a body shop would do it right?.....give me a break dude, leave the spray cans to grafitti and honda's...
Nope not at all. Like I said, it takes too much work. I spent about 3 to 4 hours, wetsanding and buffing, on the last set of tails that I rattle canned. Just for two taillights. But for small things like marker lights or tails VHT works perfectly fine and the finish can look great.

Everyone who tints the tails or markers on their cars doesn't have to have them cleared in a paint booth to get quality results. Like I said before just take some time with it and they'll look great. Spraying them in a booth just cuts down dramatically on the finishing process of wetsanding and buffing.

You need to get over yourself bro, your way is not always going to be "The best" or "The only way" no matter how badly you want it to be...

For reference here's the last set that I did...

Rattle can sure does look like **** doesn't it?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=flatblackz;12551661]Did all his lights with this stuff and also rattle canned his wheels.
So far its been about 7 months and everything still looks the same as when I did the work.
Not bad for not costing him anything, Im just glad he let me do it.
[QUOTE]

The Flat Black looks Good. But its Because it is just that.... Flat. it is very Difficult to get a nice deep shine out of rattle cans. I have done Quite a few taillights. almost every vehicle i own has them tinted. but its easy for me, i do this everyday so if i have some clear left over i just toss a little base coat in it, scuff em, and shoot.

as far as using rattle can though i dont see why you would spend the money on a nice car and not spend the money on the subtle Details that make it look Really Sharp. Rattle can for Shine not the way to go. $0.02
Old 11-28-2009, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

^truth...my way isnt the best as i stated before, but is better than ANY rattle can attempt..im not sure whats left to argue about on this, my feelings wont change on spray cans (although yours do look decent) and for the time and money it costs me to do the lights my way (not much), spray cans are a waste of time....
Old 11-28-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

^no **** spray cans are a waste of time for you, your occupation is doing body work/painting, so you have these materials at your disposal. in case you didnt know, the average person on this site DOES NOT have a paint gun to use whenever they feel like doing their taillights. its like you seriously dont consider the fact that every one does not have access to these materials. and you know what, if some of the people who posted pics on here said that they used a paint gun to spray their cars instead of saying they vht'd them, you would have said they looked great. instead you sit on your damm pedestal bashing everyone else, feeling that even the pics that look equal to or better than yours are "ok" or "decent".
Old 11-28-2009, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

its pretty easy to distinguish spray bombs tails from real cleared tails even on the net...and when your spending $25+ on spray cans and whatever on sandpaper/polish as well as the countless hours spraying and polishing, you might as well send me your **** for $75 and i pay return shipping, and have them done RIGHT...
Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok so since every body wants to argue over something stupid about weather or not to have a set of $30 tail lights painted with the "rattle can" or have em "pro. painted" imma say this its whose ever car it is. let em do whatever they want to to the damn thing some people has the money to have em pro done and some dont some dont wanna deal with a body shop guy some really dgaf grow up and stop worrying about a set of $30 tail lights. geez and as far as this thread you obviously know now you have two choices

Quick Reply: Who tints tail lights here?