Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Who tints tail lights here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"ooo FiFdYnUtz is the man because he makes the bestest tail lights."

Seriously stop shitting on our work. They are just cheap plastic tail lights relax who cares if they arent a flawless "deep shine." I work at a body shop and did rattle can because it would be a fun challenge and didn't feel like wasting the painters time!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i stated before, i dont "make" or do the best lights, but if you ^ are into a half *** shine/look go for it, and shooting some clear on the lights wouldnt be a waste of time when he is probably clearing other things at the same time it could be done with little to no labor/material cost...what im trying to get across is, ricers work with what they have and half *** things, i dont know how many times i need to state it but this is just my opinion, you guys do what you want...i am in no way trying to come off as better or negative but i stick to my argument that the lights are a part of the exterior of your car and reflect the workmanship and finish just as much as the paint on the body of the car, and you wouldnt spray bomb that would you?

just let it die and keep on keeping on, im done with it..
Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

and klabz, if thats how you feel about finish work, im very thankful for the shops customers that you ARE NOT the painter...
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should buy a BMW or an Aston Martin man, you are way too picky over the shine of tail lights. Just because I used a spray can on my tail lights your calling my car rice, or I'm a ricer? Screw you man. My car is no show car, but is not hacked together and my tail lights don't have no half assed shine. I appreciate your work with clearing the tails I'm not saying its a stupid method I'm just saying your an a$$ hole for shitting on our work for using vht and calling us ricers.

Go clear coat your tires and emblems flawlessfinishboy!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^ dont let his nonsense get to you. the problem is that he doesn't know how to see things from other peoples point of view. he's a painter, there for he has these materials at his disposale (a shop, paint gun and supplies, paint, clear, etc), stuff evrybody DOES NOT have or have the money to use. just let him sit atop his pedestal looking down on everybody. dont mind him
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol yeah I give up I don't care what he thinks about my work as long as I'm happy with it and it seems to impress everyone around here anyways.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

wow you guys are more bullheaded then i am....even if i wasnt a painter, i would front the $75 bucks to have them done because spending $25+ on cans and paper then adding in hours of my time is not worth it when it wont even have the best look...i want my ls6 heads ported and dont wanna pay for a nice port job, do you see me hacking into them with a dremel? NO, because thats "making due" and to some "good enough" but in all reality, its probably going to loose power, and flat out be a stupid idea...get my point?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys sound like 6 year olds. Anyways, my friend and i are gunna do this to the rears on his BMW (the nightshade that is). Anyone have a link to a good writeup on how to do this? Also, can fronts be done at all, or is that a bad bad idea? Much appreciated!

Edit: I would also never compare tail light painting to head porting. One obviously requires someone with knowledge and skill. The other can be done with 25$ in cans and paper.

Last edited by BigBadWhitey; 12-08-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Edit: I would also never compare tail light painting to head porting. One obviously requires someone with knowledge and skill. The other can be done with 25$ in cans and paper.
i agree

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Anyone have a link to a good writeup on how to do this? Also, can fronts be done at all, or is that a bad bad idea? Much appreciated!
heres one right up: https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...eparation.html -some people take it a bit furthur and wet sand/buff the clear coat to give them a glossier finish. you can do the front lights, but i wouldnt recommend doing headlights if it is a car that will be driven at night. you lose a LOT of light ouput compared to stock.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No 50nuts I don't get your point because it makes no sense, you just compared head porting to painting tail lights. Thats quite hilarious.
and for the record the niteshades method cost me under $25 and 3 fun hours of my time. each can of paint was 8 bucks or under and scotch brite is what a couple bucks?

BigBadWhitey:

What I did was roughened up the plastic till theres no shine with scotchbrite, clean off with 100% alcohol or prepsol, then start spraying the niteshades. Wait for each coat to just tack up a little then spray another till you get the darkness you want. Then spray clear right after that tacks up and do the same thing spray like 3-6 coats of clear and let them dry at least 48 hrs and start wetsanding
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen VHT and fifdy's work. He's got good enough reason to have his opinion. All the lights he's done come out flawless. Not saying VHT can't look good, but that usually requires more work with a lower probability of it turning out as well. To each their own
Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

i wasnt being literal with my head porting comparison, i was using it as something to compare your half assing to...im done with this, happy spray bombing!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

How in the world can you compare head porting to blacking out your plastic tail lights literally or not? I'm surprised you even have a profession. Btw the SOM Camaro with the white SS spoiler has AMAZING tail lights that look BETTER than mine that I got done at a professional and reputable shop.

And back to OP, I say go with the VHT, clear, and sanding and buffing by yourself. I wish I would have done mine on my own, because I hate the feeling of having shops do aesthetic things that can be done so easily on your own. And the feeling of doing something like painting or repairing on your own is great. I am currently in the process of doing my own custom stock Camaro grille, and I'm having a blast.

Last edited by 00RedMaro; 12-08-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
i wasnt being literal with my head porting comparison, i was using it as something to compare your half assing to...im done with this, happy spray bombing!
Finally! Thanks, well have fun talking about our awesome results with the vht without your a$$ busting in and calling it "half assed."
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

"awesome" HAHA!

and redmaro, surprised i have a profession? are you kidding me? and your the one talking about how bad your lights turned out? i see a problem here..
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude you keep saying your going away and keep comming back. Please leave, im trying to actually read this thread for some value other than "ZOMG I PAINT STUFF". Thank you!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Launching!

How do my lights turning out bad have anything to do with my profession? Your an utter idiot.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiFdYnUtz
"awesome" HAHA!

and redmaro, surprised i have a profession? are you kidding me? and your the one talking about how bad your lights turned out? i see a problem here..
Dude go away already!!! Its over, we all know you are the man. Now go paint some tail lights in your booth.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

lol you guys are as shitty at **** talking as tinting tail lights..
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Launching!

I did all my lights on my camaro (except headlights) and ive gotten complimented by MORE than a few professional painters. They always wanna know what kind of paint they use. Then they flip out when i tell them how i did it. They usually dont believe me.

It does take patients, but in my opinion, you can get it looking better with the vht, not to mention you can figure out how dark you want them YOURSELF, and its going on YOUR car.

Quick Reply: Who tints tail lights here?