Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help my to not get blasted in the ass at the paint shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my to not get blasted in the *** at the paint shop

Hey guys, I'm looking to fix ANOTHER one of my PO's "Mods". He thought it would be a great idea to super glue the emblems on my car.... but I guess he did a pretty crappy job because they both fell off . Now I'm stuck with nice scratched/glue covered fenders where the emblems should be. I want to take it to a shop to have it fixed so it doesnt look like crap anymore. I'm just trying to find out what a fair price would be to fix this? I can do mechanical work all day on this car, but when it comes to painting/bodywork I'm not so good, well actually.....I've never really tried. Either way, I'm planning on getting a few quotes from shops in my area and am just curious if anyone has any advice for me. The glue is on there pretty good, but I'm hoping that at least on one side they wont have to just scrape it off and repaint. I'm not even 100% sure that it is super glue, but I do know that goo gone wont do much to it. Any help or info about trying to get it off myself or what i should be expecting to pay for this would be great. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Help my to not get blasted in the ass at the paint shop-sspx0376.jpg  
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

lol i just did a 745 bmw where the owner dripped super clue all over the door trying to glue a 1000 mirrior back on. all i did was use a razor blade to shave it off and wet sand and buff it. looks better than factory.DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.you will be repainting if done wrong
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Take a heat gun but be careful not to get it to hot to melt the paint get a wet rag and when it gets soft try rubbin it with that and when it comes off the take a rubbing compond and rub and buff that should work for you
Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Launching!

I didnt think of either of those, I have a heat gun and fresh razorblades..... I would imagine that if I used the razor blade I would just go slow and dont dig in too much? I like the idea of the heat gun as well, I'll think I'll give that one a try first and if no luck, then onto the razorblades. Thanks for the ideas! I'll take some pictures tomorrow afterwords.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your just ganna scratch it worse with a blade....(why is it scratched from the PO anyhow, I understand the glue)
Is the glue on there super hard or sort of goo like. If its hardend ask ashop what to do or just get the emblem put on properly over that mess. If it is goo like then use solvents to wipe it off.
Those scratches look bad from the pics. You cant fix those yourself. so hide them with an emblem or get a shop to buff them out (if they can) if they are too deep they need to repaint the whole fender.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

If you get the glue off take 2500 wet sand paper and keep it real wet and sand lightly the rub it out the scratches will come out
Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Try a rag soaked with laquer thinner, if that doesnt work try acetone. Im sure you will not even need to sand it especially if it is superglue it will melt off like butter.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry they put the things on like that and now your haveing to deal with it instead of them puttin em on the right way the first time
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 PM

Those scratches look like they might be though the clear. If they are deep Wetsand and buff isn't goin to work. Try putting the emblems on the right way to cover it up.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

1 second acetone works awesome on super glue

Quick Reply: Help my to not get blasted in the ass at the paint shop