Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

fiberglass hood from ebay looks great but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass hood from ebay looks great but...

i recently got my whole car repainted along with a ebay fiberglass ss hood. The hood was a disaster to prep and had to be painted 2x but it came out looking flawless and fits perfect...only thing.. this hood is extremley light and i feel like im going to break it everytime i close it.. do any of you have a hood like this? anyone have any problems? btw i will have pics posted of new paintjob and hood asap. ty
Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

My suggestion is taking one of the hood shocks off and see if that makes it easier to close. You might have to use a hood prop of some sort to keep it up whenever you need too though. Those aftermarket hoods are lightweight and soon you will start to stress it too much which could cause cracking in the paint or fiberglass
Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

same story here. I'm only using one hood strut and its been fine for a year. just the one is still strong enough to hold it up on its own. Or, you can also get new struts that are made for fiberglass/lighter hoods. i believe VFN sells some.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
same story here. I'm only using one hood strut and its been fine for a year. just the one is still strong enough to hold it up on its own. Or, you can also get new struts that are made for fiberglass/lighter hoods. i believe VFN sells some.
You bought both your Sunoco and WS6 hoods from eBay (hoods4sale), right? How was the Sunoco fit and finish?
Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

not sure about right out of the box, i just dropped it off at the shop and picked the car up when everything (other body work as well, and repaint) was ready. and the fit and all was great.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VFN does in fact sell the lighter hood struts. I think they were $40. Don't forget to ask about LS1Tech member discount too. They made QUITE a difference when I bought one if their hoods. Oh, and where's the pics?!!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont put your head under the hood with one strut, it'll seem fine but once I had my hood up, was underneath the car and a little wind gust came and heard loud bang, looked up and sure enough it was my hood, I'm glad I wasn't under the hood.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Teching In

thanks for the tips ill be ordering the struts from vfn tonight. and heres some crappy pics but its all i got for now! let me know what ya think im very happy with it.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

[IMG]018.jpeg[/IMG]
Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Teching In

sorry ive never posted images on here before i seem to be doing something wrong :<...well one of the pics is now my profile pic. and if anyone has any tips on posting pictures that would be helpful :}
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgu1rt
sorry ive never posted images on here before i seem to be doing something wrong :<...well one of the pics is now my profile pic. and if anyone has any tips on posting pictures that would be helpful :}
Well I don't host ANY pics online so I attach mine. When you're posting a reply (not a "Quick Reply") scroll lower than the text box and you'll see "Manage Attachments." Click that then browse your computer's files for the photo. When you've attached as many as you want click "Upload" on the right. When the loading is complete close the window. If you wanna embed the pics, click on the attachment and Cut the WHOLE address. Close the attachment and click the "Insert Image" button, delete out the "http://" (since it's in what you cut earlier) and paste the address you cut from your attachment. That's it!! So lets see you practice and get some working pics up!

Quick Reply: fiberglass hood from ebay looks great but...