Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting pieces separate

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting pieces separate

So I have noticed a few pictures on here of people posting bumpers being painted off the car before the body has been painted. Is there a reason for this? From my experience this is a bad idea just because the color might not match exactly and you run a greater risk of scratching the paint when you put it on. I usually take a piece off the car and paint every where that will not be able to be painted when it's on the car after primer of course. Then I assemble the piece back on and spray it on the car. That way it matches the rest of the car and I won't have worry about scratching or chipping the paint on instulation. But this is just my way.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if a car needed a bumper resprayed lets say from a scratch, how are you going to properly get in the edges of the bumper to sand? theres no way to 100% sand it you can only get so close with masking it off.....the paint would eventually peel from the edges

and plus.........if you had a bumper off theres no problem blending the adjacent panel...........
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Hi.
When we do a frame off restoration everything is removed. Fresh paint applied to all parts and reinstalled using great care and blue/green painters tape on edges to protect them. You do not want to eat a 15/20k paint job. We also photograph vehicle/ bag every nut and bolt/ it sure makes things easier. Good luck........have a blessed day......jim
Attached Thumbnails Painting pieces separate-john-jay-3-proof.jpg   Painting pieces separate-john-s-shop-truck-start-project.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I would have to take it off at first. Sand and prime the whole panel and then just spray color and clear the edges and back of the panel then reassemble. After that you reassemble the panel mask off sand the overspray and then paint. I have not had any issues from doing this. I know everybody has there own way of doing things. This is the way I have taught.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BradsLS1
I would have to take it off at first. Sand and prime the whole panel and then just spray color and clear the edges and back of the panel then reassemble. After that you reassemble the panel mask off sand the overspray and then paint. I have not had any issues from doing this. I know everybody has there own way of doing things. This is the way I have taught.
If you position the part in same orientation as its installed and paint all at same time its not a problem.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Ravencraft is right in his application but this of course would not be cost effective for say a scratch that you are blending out. Topless HO is right in his application. If you are re-doing that panel, then pulling it and preping and painting it off the car in the same manner as it would be installed will work. Any panel repair will require blending to some degree, unless your one of the very very few painters that can do "exact" matches..lol
Old 02-18-2011, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by toplessHO
If you position the part in same orientation as its installed and paint all at same time its not a problem.
Exactly. The most important thing is keeping them oriented as they will be on the vehicle, ie don't paint a fender with it laying flat. This is especially important if you are painting any form of metallic or metal flake.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sublime Dak
Exactly. The most important thing is keeping them oriented as they will be on the vehicle, ie don't paint a fender with it laying flat. This is especially important if you are painting any form of metallic or metal flake.
Dont forget pearls...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
Dont forget pearls...
Very true, I forgot pearls! Thanks.

I've seen what happens when they are painted at different angles than they are on the vehicle and the difference is quite noticeable.

What is amazing is I have seen some of these so called 'experts' on television do the very same thing.

Quick Reply: Painting pieces separate