Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting for dummies need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Painting for dummies need help

My car was tapped in the back before I bought the car, the hole car needs painted but this is the only major problem. So I wanted to try to paint it myself. I did the ceta mod by instructions found on here. So in a nutshell could someone give me a run down of what I'd need to do to fix this. The main question is what grits of sand paper do i need to start and progress to. Where would the paint code be? you can see in the pic the paint is just flaking off. Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

strip the whole bumper,start with 80 on a DA,then go back over with 180 DA, then prime 2-4 coats(flexable primer)sand with 320 to knock the top off,then 500 wet till its nice n smooth.then paint.your paint code is on a sticker on your door at the bottom of the sticker there is either/or a U or WA followed by a number if yours is white it could be 8624
Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

800 grit then paint.. make sure you use a block or a sanding sponge, do not use your fingers.. also, try sanding with a warm soapy solution from a 5 gal bucket and rinsing final with garden hose... wipe off with mineral spirits and then tack cloth... pay attention to the colors around the edges, there should be a light gray for the material the bumper is made of, then a sealer which should be a dark gray then your primer and color.. both could be white ish but will most likely be gray.. stick with the same primer/basecoat colors, that will give you the best chance of matching everything else.. if you put white paint over a black primer, it will come out dull white/almost gray.. i can post some pics tomorrow of what i am talking about.. i did the same thing on my red WS6..
Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

I did it thanks guys
Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Process you used? Upclose pics? Looks good from 5ft away tho...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

I took an electric sander with 80 grit all over it. Then 220 because i didn't have any 180 on the electric sander. Primered it. then I took a 320 sanding sponge to it followed by some 400 grit and then some 1000. from 320 up was all wet with a block. Then whipped it all off and sprayed it. I still haven't cleared coated it yet. You can tell i had not the slightest idea what i was doing it has small lines in places but you have to get right up on it to tell. It turned out alot better than i thought it would. I'll take some more pics of up close and post in the morning I"m at work now. And by lines i guess its like high spots where it wasn't sanded as much in places as others. Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I took an electric sander with 80 grit all over it. Then 220 because i didn't have any 180 on the electric sander. Primered it. then I took a 320 sanding sponge to it followed by some 400 grit and then some 1000. from 320 up was all wet with a block. Then whipped it all off and sprayed it. I still haven't cleared coated it yet. You can tell i had not the slightest idea what i was doing it has small lines in places but you have to get right up on it to tell. It turned out alot better than i thought it would. I'll take some more pics of up close and post in the morning I"m at work now. And by lines i guess its like high spots where it wasn't sanded as much in places as others. Thanks
looks 100x better than before and for what you put into it, Id be happy
Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

I'm more than satisfied with it. It turned out alot better than I thought it was going to. The only real thing about it is that it isn't as shiny as the other paint but I haven't cleared it yet. If the cleare didn't help anything I'm more than happy with it. I just wanted the big busted spots gone. I appreciate the help. I"ll post pics in the morning.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell yeah,make sure you have good light when you clear it,white is HARD to see when clearing. 2-3 coats is all youll need.never hurts to try something you havent done n learn something.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice Job!

Quick Reply: Painting for dummies need help