Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need advice on what to do with trufiber hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need advice on what to do with trufiber hood

I bought a tru fiber SS hood and took it to the body shop to get painted (along with the rest of the car). The hood surface itself was very rough and they said for them to paint it they would have to charge me a bit more so they can block it out and make the surface smooth. I'm super picky so i agreed.

I went to look at the car the other day. First thing i notice is i pop the hood and it is hitting on the slp lid, what do i do about this? I guess try and find a stock lid to use??? is there anyway to make more clearance? Is this a common problem?

Secondly the hood is very smooth and i saw it before they painted it, and it looked good. Anyway on either side of the scoop there is a square indention that looks to be directly above where the hood struts bolt on. Is this a common thing to see on the top side of the hood? it looks like a few little indention in a line, sorta like a crease but is very small. However it is identical on either side.

They guaranteed me a life time warranty on the body work and paint and are charging me more to make it absolutely perfect, yet are now blaming this on the hood being inferior and its not their fault and don't want to fix it.... I'm wondering does this happen to a lot of tru fiber hoods? could it have been caused by shutting the hood and it hitting on the air box lid?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a one on my T/A and it didnt have any problems. Been on for about 5 years now. It was smooth on top and bottom. Did you ride with it on the car for a couple of weeks before painting to ensure it was fully cured? THat might have been the problem
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Nope i never installed it on my car before taking it in to get painted. How long does it take for them to fully cure?

Because i took the car and the hood into them back in the begining of march. they are doing some body work and painting the entire car. The hood has been sitting in there for several months now as they just painted it last week.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Bump, anyone with an SS put one of these hoods on and have rubbing issue with the SLP air lid.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

my ws6 hood from VFN rubs also. i think its the design of the slp lids. my friend got a new on (with the slp painted on it) and it didnt rub but mine did (its got the raise slp lettering)
Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

My slp lid that is rubbing has SLP painted on it.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

hmm. if you can see where is rubs and it wount bother you much, you can sand, cut out that part. i can feel it hitting the lid when i push to close my hood. from what i hear, the FTP lid doesnt hit so i might go to that one
Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldnt have to de mod your car for it to work, that sucks .
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camarosteve44
You shouldnt have to de mod your car for it to work, that sucks .
Yeah tell me about it... Not only that but the place painted my car a metallic marroon color and keep trying to tell me its the same as the original sunset orange metalic... that mine must have been faded
Old 08-02-2011, 03:12 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I got to thinking about this issue more. My car is a z/28 and i put this SS hood on it. Does the air box that come on the SS cars have a lower profile? such as i know the air blows in the front of the box, could this different lower air box design be causing my slp lid to rub the hood? i'm really out of thoughts on how to fix it other than going back to the stock air lid.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Nope i never installed it on my car before taking it in to get painted. How long does it take for them to fully cure?

Because i took the car and the hood into them back in the begining of march. they are doing some body work and painting the entire car. The hood has been sitting in there for several months now as they just painted it last week.
Ok I'm not trying to be a total dick but I have to say, who buys an aftermarket hood and doesn't test fit it? Then sends it off to paint the whole car?! Haha. Hilarious. And even before that if you did a common sense search about fiberglass hoods you would find out this is a common problem for these cars. You definitely got what you paid for. Haha. Don't blame other people and potentially give someone a bad name cuz you're a retard. No offense of course.

Quick Reply: Need advice on what to do with trufiber hood