Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

SEM, Hot Rod Flatz, Hot Hues, Kustom Shop, Blitz Black???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEM, Hot Rod Flatz, Hot Hues, Kustom Shop, Blitz Black???

I decided to look into the Satin Black world, and have come up with all these brands for Hot Rod Satin Black kits...whos used what? Whats the best, what is easiest for me to do at home, what goes on the best, what is easiest to maintain...any input would be great. If I did go this route I dont wanna waste a few hundred bucks on some crap thats gonna chalk, or get shinny if I accidentally rub it :
Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

pretty much any satin paint will get shiny if you rub it. You can add a flattening agent to the clear coat to help, but it still may happen. I have used the SEM hot rod black a few times and I like it... but I wouldnt do an all over with it.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Look into Kirker Automotive Finishes, they make a product called Hot Rod Black. Its a 2k urethane single stage that is pre flattened. The price is fantastic, the stuff works great. Holds up very well
Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had hot rod flatz on my car for about 1 1/2 years (stays outside in florida weather and sun) and it has yet to look any different from day 1. its pretty cheap too and it had teh best UV protectants in in. i heard that blitz black chalks up the fastest... it wont polish up unless you really rub it with polish, just washing the car will be fine (i havent tried a carwash and i dont plan on it) but if you do get it painted, make sure you get someone that knows this stuff. the guy that painted my car had used it before on his formula and said its a really tricky paint to spray and it needs to come out perfect since there is no correcting it other than a full repaint
Old 09-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by my bandit
ive had hot rod flatz on my car for about 1 1/2 years (stays outside in florida weather and sun) and it has yet to look any different from day 1. its pretty cheap too and it had teh best UV protectants in in. i heard that blitz black chalks up the fastest... it wont polish up unless you really rub it with polish, just washing the car will be fine (i havent tried a carwash and i dont plan on it) but if you do get it painted, make sure you get someone that knows this stuff. the guy that painted my car had used it before on his formula and said its a really tricky paint to spray and it needs to come out perfect since there is no correcting it other than a full repaint
thanks thats what I wanted to know, because hot rod flatz is the brand I was most interested in
Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

pics plz-lookin into this for my 00 Camaro
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Hot rod satin Black

Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
Hot rod satin Black

how does that hold up in the rain? any spotting?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

It will spot in the rain theres almost no way from stopping that .

Quick Reply: SEM, Hot Rod Flatz, Hot Hues, Kustom Shop, Blitz Black???