Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody

I am in the process of restoring a 98SS and was wondering if any of you guys have experience sand blasting an underbody. I have done a lot of reading and about 50% of the people say you should never do it unless you have the car on a rotisserie because it is impossible to get the sand out and it will sit in cracks and cause rust. Additionally they say the sand will ruin a bunch of components.

My car is pretty much bare from the dash back. No trans, driveshaft, rear end, gas tank, brake lines, etc. I have removed EVERYTHING. It's about 3 feet in the air and I have been going at it with wire wheels but progress is so slow I am looking for an alternative. There is rust that needs to be addressed and I know blasting will quickly get me where I need to be to start repairs and paint.

If anyone has experience with this and is willing to offer advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Some pictures. The white/pink is phosphoric acid
Attached Thumbnails Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-096.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-064.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-065.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-068.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-069.jpg  

Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

More...
Attached Thumbnails Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-071.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-072.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-073.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-074.jpg   Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody-077.jpg  

Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not recommend it. I've sandblasted the inside of a cab to a truck before (burned) and it was a bitch to get the sand out. I mean the sand will literally hide in small cracks, joints, overlaps, etc. I used a vacum and air pistol to get most of it out but I don't think I got 100% of it out.

In my opinion, the time you save with the blasting will be made up once you try and get all the sand out. It might end up taking longer or just as long with the wire wheel. Sand is very messy.

Now you can try and cover as many holes as you can before blasting. Just try to avoid hitting the holes directly. And have a strong vacumm handy.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, I definitely don't want to end up making more work for myself. I am committed to restoring the vehicle to new condition and expected some tedious work but this is a major PITA.

Did you use sand or another media? Are any easier to clean up?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say soda blasting would be an easier cleanup, by hosing it all out and heating it up with a dryer or sumthing would probably be the best way, but not sure how the sodium bicarb would do. maybe someone has some experience with it
Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would love to hear from anybody that has done that, it looks like a great option. My only concern would be that it won't remove the heavy scale and I would end up grinding it all anyway.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

i think i'd try sprayin it with something to soften it up, and try baking soda blasting. never hurts to try on a little spot, it only gets paint off, but maybe if you soak it with something and it'll soften up, it might come off easier, good luck man
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Soda blast. Pay someone to do it. And yes it needs to be on rotisserie. I was restoring a 92 Z28 and tried to sand blast the bottom of it on a rotisserie. I did it in my garage and the dust was really bad. Silica dust will kill you. I have had breathing problems for 2 years because of it. It was real bad after I did it. I am slowly getting better but still not 100 percent. Learn from my mistake.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSInnovations
That's exactly what I'm afraid of, I definitely don't want to end up making more work for myself. I am committed to restoring the vehicle to new condition and expected some tedious work but this is a major PITA.

Did you use sand or another media? Are any easier to clean up?
I remember using sand and I also remember it being a PITA to clean up. I don't remember using a vacum, just a air pistol.

Just do this...
Cover up as man holes as you can with a few layers of duct tape. Remove any moving parts such as suspension and bushings. Then blast the hell out of it. Be sure to use a good respiratory mask, safety glasses, gloves and a thick jacket. When that stuff hits your skin it stings. Also, create some kind of barrier around the car to prevent the sand from getting all over the place. <<<--- trust me, you want to do this.

Now to clean up, get a good strong shop vac and a air piston with a narrow tip so that you can get into the hard to reach places. When cleaning up use the compressed air and the shop vac at the same time. The compressed air will move the sand around and the vac will capture it. Good luck.

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Soda blast. Pay someone to do it. And yes it needs to be on rotisserie. I was restoring a 92 Z28 and tried to sand blast the bottom of it on a rotisserie. I did it in my garage and the dust was really bad. Silica dust will kill you. I have had breathing problems for 2 years because of it. It was real bad after I did it. I am slowly getting better but still not 100 percent. Learn from my mistake.
That sounds bad man. Were you using a breathing mask?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

That sounds bad man. Were you using a breathing mask?
Yes, I was. The sand had already been used a few times and was very dusty. It was one of those deals that you think it cant happen to you. I had asked around and talked to people that said they do it all the time and never had any problems. Its scary as **** becasue reading about silica on line will scare you to death. It took a few months for the symptoms to start and it was not fun. One time on my way home from work I had an attack where I could not breath and almost passed out. I was in very good health, running, lifting weights...etc. This **** knocked me on my *** for the better part of 2 years. I am back in the gym lifting again but the tread mill still scares me. Sorry, this is the first time talking about it online.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Yes, I was. The sand had already been used a few times and was very dusty. It was one of those deals that you think it cant happen to you. I had asked around and talked to people that said they do it all the time and never had any problems. Its scary as **** becasue reading about silica on line will scare you to death. It took a few months for the symptoms to start and it was not fun. One time on my way home from work I had an attack where I could not breath and almost passed out. I was in very good health, running, lifting weights...etc. This **** knocked me on my *** for the better part of 2 years. I am back in the gym lifting again but the tread mill still scares me. Sorry, this is the first time talking about it online.
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about that. It just goes to show that safety gear should always be used. In this case I'm sure if you weren't wearing any I'm sure you would've been worse. Hope you make a full recovery man.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

96lt4c4, I am sorry to hear about your health. I know everyone talks about that being possible but I have never heard from anyone that had to go through it. Your story made up my mind, I'm either leaving this to the professionals or just continuing with the grinder.

Can anyone recommend a soda blasting place in Michigan? Do you think they would do it to a roller (ie not on a rotisserie) ?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

dang man, hope you get 100% better, silica can really mess ur lungs up, it killed a whole bunch of guys building a tunnel at hawks nest in wv in the 30's. if you didnt have a mask on, you'd probably be dead. it is possible to do it roller, but you got a whole lot extra work, i think if i were to do it, i would do it the poster stating to blow it out with an airgun and vacuum it and use carbon as the media, it cuts the paint and rust way better
Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebirddude98
dang man, hope you get 100% better, silica can really mess ur lungs up, it killed a whole bunch of guys building a tunnel at hawks nest in wv in the 30's. if you didnt have a mask on, you'd probably be dead. it is possible to do it roller, but you got a whole lot extra work, i think if i were to do it, i would do it the poster stating to blow it out with an airgun and vacuum it and use carbon as the media, it cuts the paint and rust way better
I have to see a pulmonary DR. now. I have seen 3 different ones and none of them have diagnosed me with anything yet. I have to use inhaled steriods, not as often as I was though. I have weird unexplained pains all over my body. I have gotten used to most of it. I have gotten better but I am not sure I will ever be the same. Its going to take years. My Dr. said that that you can fully recover from one heavy exposure. But, I dont know. It can cause, cancer, silicosis, nerve problems, joint problems, arthritus...etc. Its really nasty ****. DO NOT MESS WITH IT. I wore a regular P95 Resperator with charcoal filters, just like you where when you paint. I remember looking at the filters when I was done and they were caked with dust. The resperator did its job for the most part but the dust is so fine that a lot still gets through. I am sure that I would be dead if I had not wore it. I remember walking out of the garage and seeing a huge cloud of the dust just rolling out of the garage windows. None of what i am going threw now ever crossed my mind.

Quick Reply: Bad Idea? Sandblasting underbody