Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Gel coat, Painting hood questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gel coat, Painting hood questions

I have a white gel cost trufiber good that I got and have been told that I need to paint it sooner than later. I don't want to waste 300+ to paint my hood now because at the end of the year I'm planning to re paint my whole car. Any options? Cheap options. Thanks! Any suggestions will be appreciated
Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Do you plan on doing a color change on the whole car?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Well from regular white to Artic white. So I guess essentially its the same
Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Just curious, why do you "have" to paint it sooner than later. If your car is already white why not just wait and have it all done at once. Does the gel coat not protect from the sun or something?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by projectX
Just curious, why do you "have" to paint it sooner than later. If your car is already white why not just wait and have it all done at once. Does the gel coat not protect from the sun or something?
I wonder this as well. I will be getting a Raptor hood for my Arctic White '02 TA and it states that the hood will come in White Gel Coat. Anyone have any experiences with riding around with a hood or spoiler with the gel coat finish? It will get painted, but I know once the hood arrives I won't be able to let it sit in the garage. It'll kill me not to install it right away.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Launching!

I raced my roadster with the front end in just the gel coat and it was fine for a few months...but was kept inside all the time it wasn't raced. I tend to prep and prime most fiberglass first and then leave it in the sun for awhile. Example....your hood I would prep, prime and leave in the sun for at least a week before painting. This leaves the fiberglass shrink and move around. Ever see a glass finish on fiberglass and in a month or two it looks a bit wavey? More sun treatment before painting is a good thing in my opinion. Just my .02 worth.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by snake_skinner93
I wonder this as well. I will be getting a Raptor hood for my Arctic White '02 TA and it states that the hood will come in White Gel Coat. Anyone have any experiences with riding around with a hood or spoiler with the gel coat finish? It will get painted, but I know once the hood arrives I won't be able to let it sit in the garage. It'll kill me not to install it right away.
i had heard that it starts degrading your hood with JUST the gel coat on, since its not getting protected by anything.. it is recommended to prep it atleast.. or paint it all the way through.. this is what i had heard.. by more than 3 people
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by projectX
yeah thats what i was thinking of doing. but then got told that i should at least prep it or what not. i sold the hood today though :/ super bummed. lol
Old 05-29-2012, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trans.Am98
yeah thats what i was thinking of doing. but then got told that i should at least prep it or what not. i sold the hood today though :/ super bummed. lol

Happy I read this thread now - was gonna do the same.

Quick Reply: Gel coat, Painting hood questions