Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Accident in my new to me T/A. Worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Accident in my new to me T/A. Worth fixing?

Depressed, well thats an understatement.

It had just stopped raining, I left the house early to give myself time for my commute so I want taking it slow on the local roads. Some dbag in a beat up civic shot out of a side street in front of me and I swerved to avoid him. I went sideways straight into a post next to a hydrant.

Car drove home straight. Here are pics:

I'm estimating $800 in parts, plus whatever to pull the a pillar out and line it all up/ install a door. So $1500 easy not even getting into paint.

I think I might end up parting her out, but you guys be the judge. I'll take her to get an estimate in the next day or 2.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly double your estimate if not more.

Only you will be able to say if its worth fixing, what is your insurance deductable? if its 1k or under why not fix it.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's see a picture with the fender and door off... then you can do estimates. If the fender frame is bent, you need a new one or unbend it.

It doesn't look like it will cost that much to fix. I had a wreck twice as bad as yours and I had to replace everything from the cooling fans up and it only cost $1000 including paint, but then again, I did everything myself.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Launching!

like mentioned above post some pictures with fender and door off.and c how bad the damage is on the inside.from looking at the pictures it doesn't look that bad imo.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you catch.the.guys.license.plate? You should.make him pay for.it.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

dont you have a 500 deductable . i hope you do . be cheap and fix it with a used white door , white fender and anything else. do that rather than parting it out.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Doesn't look too terrible because the windshield is fine, so the A-pillar is intact. How does the rocker and floor pan area look?

I hate dbag idiot drivers. Somehow they avoid most stuff that they cause since everyone is trying to not hit them.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

definitely fixable.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

I have liability only, no deductibles.. I didn't catch thr plate of the guy cause as soon as I swerved to avoid him- he darted into a side street.

The windshield is cracked, the dash isn't cracked but its buckling a bit from the door intruding into the cockpit.

So far from what I can tell, I'll need a door/fender/windshield/possibly the rocker- and to have the door jamb straightened as its bent inwards pretty good.

Tomorrow I'll play with it to see what I can do. The door is really mashed in there, I couldn't break it loose upon inspection after the incident today.

Sigh, this is the last thing I needed. It was in such beautiful shape too.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

open the door and take a pic of the pillar. looks like an easy enough fix
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't catch the crack because it isn't busted up bad. So even if the A pillar got tweaked a little it isn't much more than a little bit.

I'd check with a shop before messing with anything myself personally. At least see if they can assess the damages, then go from there.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Typical a hole. Had you died and they found him he wouls' have.wen TV to.jail. Put.up.witness posters.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn't really matter how it happened. The end result is the op has to deal with it. Sucks man, I feel for ya.

I'm with the other guys, take off the door and fender and see how bad it's pushed in. Maybe you got lucky and the door crushed where it bolts to the hinge.

If the unibody is pushed in you're going to have to get it pulled. Maybe you can get it fixed for 2 or 3 grand if you do it yourself, the more you scrounge for parts the cheaper you can fix it for.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

I'm going to take it to be looked at tomorrow morning most likely. I'm not going to remove the fender/door yet because I have to drive across town to the shops and I'd just rather let them do their thing and see how much they want on the spot.

I can source the parts, looks like I should be able to get a door+ fender for under 3 bills if I look hard enough. Hopefully I can find them in arctic white so there isn't any painting to do.

Now in the case that repairs just won't be worth it (frame has 197k, engine/trans have 98k, and chassis is immaculate with no rust at all) and I part it out, I'm wondering if I can recoup what I paid for it.

It has a new Strange 12 bolt 3.73 gears with 7k on it. $2500 from summit.
Engine/trans with bolt ons/ tune/ new clutch/ slave.
ZR1 17"s 5 spoke 9" and 11" wide + stock wheels.
Interior was immaculate, now D/S door is messed up but the rest is nice.
Louis Short stick with Pro 5.0 shifter/ hurst ****.

I see me getting maybe 3k back on a good day if I stripped it?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

You should be able to get your money back parting it out. IF you like to work on cars you can buy another car with the body and the parts you need and then combine the two cars for one good one and sell the parts you dont use to pay for it.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Well I was quoted $400 by a shop I trust to pull the pillar and align everything if I supply the parts. So providing I can find parts and the windshield install should be under 2 bills. So about a grand out the door.

From a money standpoint, its not worth it on a 197k frame, but the car is in excellent shape overall and was close to show condition.

Everyone else wanted 1-2k for the labor.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Can't find white parts around here. I found a maroon power door/ fender for 125. Grrr if I need paint its another 5-600, maybe I can just do the install for now and plasti dip the entire car to hide it- then down the road do a complete repaint.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there's nothing fundamentally wrong with 200k miles on the car if the body is in good shape and rust free... and that's what you've been describing. You couldn't get a comparable car for a grand or even two. Sounds like it'd be silly not to fix her up.
It'd be real cool if you could keep us updated on how it turns out.

If your seriously considering the plastidip route there that site, dipyourcar, or something like that. They sell a pretty complete kit and have quite a few videos on you tube of the process.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Absolutely not, before the accident it was in mint condition apart from an SES code (probably some sensor) and the drivline giving me vibration- oh and the damn steering shaft, but I bought an LS1 shaft last week to get rid of the rag joint.

Yes I'm going to fix it, going with the maroon parts and will dip the car. I'll keep my eyes open for a white door and fender or will just eventually do a complete repaint.

As far as dipping it- I have 4 cans of unused black dip at home so maybe I'll buy 2-3 more and go to town. Since the body is white, I'm thinking of making a stencil of a spiderweb and doing that on both rear quarters just for ***** and giggles hehe. Might just turn out looking badass.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Try to save it. These cars are becoming more and more rare, and you'll regret it later if you junk it. Check ebay, Craigs list, local classifieds, and the classified here to try to find parts. Good luck. Not to nag, but it's a good idea to have full coverage on your cars. I'm 31 and I only pay $600 a year for my 2002 Formula. It gets even better because in the winter I only have comprehensive coverage while it sits in the garage for 6 months so I get a refund.

Quick Reply: Accident in my new to me T/A. Worth fixing?