Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I just started painting my car ...PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^this is exactly why i dont miss solvent bourne paint.anyone that paints water bourne paint is with me on that. i always harden my base coat when i paint whole cars makes life so much easyer when you do it for a living. glad you got it figured out man.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
i still dont realize why the paint store didnt use the Sherwin Williams binder... they are morons for mix and matching stuff...
I remember them saying they use a different binder because it reduces the cost of the paint.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE

Ok guys I finally got all the paint from the rocker panels, door jambs and engine bay stripped off over the wknd. I washed everything down with a 3M scuffing pad and some soap/water. After that I applied one coat of adhessive promotor in aerosol form.

TIPS:
For those who are looking for a good paint stripper I highly recommend this paint stripper... http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=112 At 1/2 the price of Aircraft stripper it works just as good or better. Home Depot has it for under $7/per can.

As for the new paint that the paint store reimbursed me with... I sprayed a metal fender I had laying around and it came out perfect. I didn't spend a lot of time prepping the fender as I just wanted to see if the paint was going to wrinkle up again. I scuffed it with 320 grit, cleaned it and applied sealer/base/clear. Base was reduced 1:1 and no hardener was added. So I guess it's good to go this time.

Now I just have a few questions...
Should I just spray a coat of sealer and start applying base/clear OR should I lay down some primer first?
Does the adhessive promotor need to be scuffed before I apply the sealer or can I apply the sealer directly over it as is?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Unhappy

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
i still dont realize why the paint store didnt use the Sherwin Williams binder... they are morons for mix and matching stuff...
There are Chinese products everywhere these days and it could be that your paint store is substituting. eBay is full of Chinese fiberglass products and I would definitely pass on the Chinese abrasives at Harbor.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

How did this turnout?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I haven't worked on it for a month now. With all the family events and holidays, I just haven't had time. The doors, jambs, rocker panels and engine bay are done. The driver side 1/4 panel has a staine on it right where it meets the roof so I'm doing to just sand down the clear, shoot 1 or 2 coats of base again and reclear it.

I'm off work all next week so I'm going to put all my time and effort into it. I'm trying to buy a house next year so this car must be done first.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for updates. nice work so far! sorry it started off rocky
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a few pics of the doors...

I'm definitely putting some work in this wknd. One way or another that car is getting painted painted this month...even if I have to sleep in the garage. lol.

My only concern right now is the weather. It's cooler know. Before I was working with temps in the mid to high 70s. Now I'm working with 60-65 degree weather. It's a bit warmer in the garage when I have it closed though. Any comments?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Teching In

This has gotten far too complicated.

I use dupont chromabase sealer/base. I use SPI universal clear (******* awesome stuff seriously)

Everything is mixed 1:1 except for the sealer.

In my SPI tech sheet it states to allow the base to dry as long as possible to avoid future complications. Also cheap base will ruin a paintjob also, it will fade/discolor/etc. Its not just about having quality clear, you want quality clear and base. They work together.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok guys, the weather has finally started to cooperate. I'll be painting this rest of the car this wknd.

The fenders and hood are pretty much good to go. I just have to fit them with the 400/600/800 grit. Here are a few pics of the bumper ready for sealer/base/clear.

Hopefully all goes well this time. If so, I should have the car completely done by next weekn and I can continue working on my twin turbo setup.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE

Ok guys I finally got a chance this wknd to paint the trunk, hood, fenders and front bumper. All I have left to paint are the mirrors, rear bumper and spoiler. The roof and rear "CAMARO" panel will be painted black. I figured if I can paint the rear bumper, spoiler and mirrors by Wednesday and then the roof and rear panel on Thursday/Friday I'll be completely done painting the car.

In the mean time, here's some updated pics...

Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Launching!

good work..i like your booth.lol
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Looks great! Nice work!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98camarols1
good work..i like your booth.lol
Thanks man. It was sponsored by Home Depot and approved by the city.

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
Looks great! Nice work!
Thanks man. Hopefully I'll be done this week. Then all that's left is color sanding, which I won't do until I finish putting the motor and other crap together.

Quick Reply: I just started painting my car ...PROBLEM SOLVED!!