Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much to clear coat Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much to clear coat Camaro?

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of picking up an old Camaro. If I get it, I'm going to want to strip down the body and redo the paint. However I've never sprayed a whole car in my driveway before, and if I'm going to do this car I want it perfect. Most likely I'd have to do all the prep & base coat myself at home, then bring it to a shop to get it cleared. I'm worried about debris getting into the clear in my driveway so I figured I'd do as much as I could.

On average, how much would getting the clear done cost? Average labor rate and elapsed time for clear?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to wet sand out any dirt / grime. Use a tent with GOOD ventilation, ventilation is key for a good paint job or you will have tons of orange peel.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want it "perfect" take it to a shop.

I can see doing the prep work yourself but why lay down a basecoat and then have a shop clearcoat it...
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Temp and humidity are large factors in how a paint lays down as well. Ask around and see if there is anywhere near you that you can rent out a paint booth.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hate to rain on the parade but i've been a painter in a body shop for 17 years and the shop i work at will not touch a car unles we start the job.i know most of the owners or employess of other shops in my area and they're the same way.i'm not saying you want find someone but it will probably be hard.the way shops look at it is the money they lose working on just spraying clear on a job they could double or triple working on a complete project.like if you were to be charged 300.00 forclearing you car and it takes 4 hours the shp could have painted a new bumper and replaced it on the car in the same time for say 1000.00.also keep in mind if your going to keep this car buy letting a good shop do the total job you'll get a warranty on the paint.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

^^^ what he said!!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, really?! Interesting. Guess it's time to put on my man pants and do it myself.

Can anyone recommend a clear to use? I see the "Kustom Shop 2K Speed Urethane Clear" used quite frequently. Opinions?

This is the page I'm looking at:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/kspclear.aspx
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you want to go all out glasurit makes a good clear coat but expect to pay a premium for it. dupont paints/clears are very good too. came out very nice on my car
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love dupont's base/clear, have not had any problems yet
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

i use sikkens everyday and have sprayed the others mentioned along with ppg.all the big names are very good it just comes down to preference and money,just make sure you go with a highend line like ppg,dupont or sikkens cause the clear will last longer.cheap clear is just that,cheap clear,it will not hold up like the good stuff.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Wow, really?! Interesting. Guess it's time to put on my man pants and do it myself.

Can anyone recommend a clear to use? I see the "Kustom Shop 2K Speed Urethane Clear" used quite frequently. Opinions?

This is the page I'm looking at:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/kspclear.aspx
If you have the tools you can always rent a booth.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

not to sound like an a$$ but i'm telling you it's not going to be easy to find a shop that will push their customer's cars to the side while you spray yours.i'm not saying it can't be done,if you know somebody with one they might let you but your talking about a shop losing alot of time and money waiting on you to do yours and i hate the ideal of you starting this under the impression you can rent a both buy just asking.just a question,have you ever sprayed a car from start 2 finish?it takes me about 4 hours to paint a complete car after all the masking is done.it can be done faster but speed isn't best for this.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think they are referring to booths soley for renting to the public... There are some places that will rent you garage space basically, and booths. I havent found any near me...but they do exist.

Im going to paint my car by myself. Going to make a PVC frame, hang heavy mil plastic, couple A/C filters and box fans for ventilation, wet the driveway down and have at it. Renting a booth would be awesome and probably not much more expensive than all the supplies Ill buy to build one. Tho...driving my freshly painted car home from that booth would give me a heart attack anyway haha.

J.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

if u have a garage then spray it in there. if there is a window then get a box fan and put it in the window. i spray alot in my garage. it comes out great. of course a booth is ideal, but its not always possible. i paint in a shop every day and i have had some of my best work come out of my garage at home. wash everything down in the garage and have the floor wet. it will keep dust down.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perfection cost big dollars. On the up side if you mess up or get or get dirt or flying paint skaters in it you can always wetsand and buff. The real thing with paint is a good quality and great prep you can wetsand and buff out most anything if you put on enough paint/clear.

The better/flatter the paint job the less time you have to spend wet sanding and buffing.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

basing a car out will get just as much dirt as clearing the car. you think dirt only likes the clear? noo. if you a capable of doing it your self get a carport, and a big fan to pull the air out dont blow on to the car. and as far as clear use high solids clear coats brand really doesnt matter but the more you spend the better the product. if you want good clear your looking at 300 a sprayable gallon minimum. but you can geat cheap stuff for 100. if you have a dark color DO NOT GO CHEAP
Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

I have used the kustom shop clear with good results ... I dont know how it holds up to milage as I have sold all the cars I have painted but I wouldnt hesitate to paint with it again. Make sure to get the proper reducer with proper temp range and mix throughly. The proper reducer and hardner will help lay the paint with limited orange peel given a properly prepped surface. I have a pic of the latest car I painted with that product I will try to post.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

PIC of the clear. Artic white with a blue pearl mid coat - Kutom shop 2k high solids clear. Home Garage booth.
Attached Thumbnails How much to clear coat Camaro?-2012-05-12_21-04-10_451.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

That looks awesome, thanks for the pic. What gun did you lay the clear down with?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

I used a devilbiss cvi HVLP gun. 25 - 30 lbs inlet pressure. Layed down nice.

Quick Reply: How much to clear coat Camaro?