Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

2000 WS6 Trans Am undercarriage restoration - In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice, im surprised the rust is so bad on your car, im getting under mine soon and just scruffing away surface rust and painting over it before it gets like that, i would go to the full length of work your doing but a lack of garage sucks. Great work and attetion to details though i love seeing threads like this and the pride people take into their vehicles
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
very nice, im surprised the rust is so bad on your car, im getting under mine soon and just scruffing away surface rust and painting over it before it gets like that, i would go to the full length of work your doing but a lack of garage sucks. Great work and attetion to details though i love seeing threads like this and the pride people take into their vehicles
Thanks bud. Yea, I was suprised how badly it was as well. The carfax on this car shows that it originally came from Canada - I've heard this car was built there but now I'm starting to wonder if the original owner lived north of the border... It most definitely looks like it's possible.

At this point, I've dumped more money into the car than it's worth - and I don't care. I keep forgetting to upload more recent pictures, I'll try and do that this weekend. Car is completly coated now and ready for reassembly.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Screw the market value. I don't know about you but to me my car is worth more than market value would say it is.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Screw the market value. I don't know about you but to me my car is worth more than market value would say it is.
That's pretty much exactly how I feel right now. Here is a breakdown of what was needed for the project.

Craftsmen 33 Gallon Compressor - $350
Misc. Air hoses/fittings - $35
Harbor Freight Sandblaster - $50 (broke the first one, so had to rebuy)
Blast media - $110 (2 large containers of aluminum oxide and one walnut)
Chassis Saver - $50 (1 quart, and 1 half pint for touch up)
Paint brushes - $20 (went through a ton of these!)
Seam sealer/gloves/misc - ($50)

I'm going to try and get a picture of the undercarriage on a lift once it's completed. Reassembly starts next week. Hopefully only another day or two left of work.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the write up of what you're doing. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Did you remove the undercoating that is in the wheel wells and the underside of the rocker panels? Just wondering how hard it was to remove with the sand blaster if you did because that stuff is like concrete.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
Thanks for the write up of what you're doing. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. Did you remove the undercoating that is in the wheel wells and the underside of the rocker panels? Just wondering how hard it was to remove with the sand blaster if you did because that stuff is like concrete.
I left the factory coating in those areas in tact and layered on top of them with a spray coating. I'll get the name of it shortly.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

updates?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
updates?
Sorry! I'm currently in two masters classes and am slated to graduate from Benedictine University this Saturday. It's been a long road. That, coupled with a new born, along with a project car, has made for a hectic spring.

The car is now finally ready for reassembly. I'll post pics by Wednesday at the absolute latest. Car has come a long ways!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread or not, but the undercoating is complete. I've installed my new relocation brackets, panhard bar, lower control arms, bumpstops, speedbleeder and tick master. Only issue now is getting the transmission back in. This damn thing doesn't want to line up at all. Tried putting a pry bar on the crank to tilt the engine back, but it still didn't give me enough clearance to line the transmission back up. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are installing the trans with the bellhousing attached? I've had better luck with installing the bellhousing first, then getting the trans up there.

Post some pics of the finished product when you get a chance.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Definitely interested in seeing finished product. Getting the tranny back in was a bitch for me as well. I know it's different because you have a manual but I imagine it's a bitch either way.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Are installing the trans with the bellhousing attached? I've had better luck with installing the bellhousing first, then getting the trans up there.

Post some pics of the finished product when you get a chance.
Yes, bellhousing is attached.

Tried to separate them during the strip down phase, but the seal was tight! Might have to try it this way when I put her back together.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 889 Likes on 633 Posts

Rare are you still at this?! Crazy man. Crazy I say!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Rare are you still at this?! Crazy man. Crazy I say!
She's finally all buttoned up and back on the road.

Just needs a three step correction and Cquartz (or Gtechniq EXO v2 - undecided..)

It never ends!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 889 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
She's finally all buttoned up and back on the road.

Just needs a three step correction and Cquartz (or Gtechniq EXO v2 - undecided..)

It never ends!

I have looked at Cquartz but haven't used it yet. If you use it let me know what you think.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I have looked at Cquartz but haven't used it yet. If you use it let me know what you think.
I absolutely LOVE Cquartz. It's my preferred coating honestly, and has less of a learning curve than say Opti Coat.

Have used Opti Coat, Opti PRO, Gtechniq EXO, and Cquartz.

For the price, protection, looks, and durability, I really like it over the competition. I still haven't gotten around to trying EXO V2 yet, but assuming nothing major has changed, I don't see myself switching coatings anytime soon.

Wife's DD has a layer of Wolf's Hard Body, and it's still beading insanely after 6 months. It's stored outside in the Chicago weather too. Definitely another impressive profuct imho.

Quick Reply: 2000 WS6 Trans Am undercarriage restoration - In Progress