Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Tiny scratches in paint.. only in direct sunlight? Is every car like this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:59 PM
PZA
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiny scratches in paint.. only in direct sunlight? Is every car like this?

Hello,

I am not sure what to think.. My cars paint looks amazing under the shade, but if the sunlight hits it at a certain angle you start to see lots of evidence of tiny scratches. Is every car like this?

I attempted to use a clay bar to try to remove some of these, but had no luck. Would it be a good idea to get it professionally detailed?

Here's a picture of what I am talking about

Old 10-01-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Clay Bar will only remove above surface contamination.

I would hit it with either Compound or Polish then some nice Wax. There's lots of videos on YouTube on how to use it.

Applying Compound

Applying Polish

Applying Wax (Ultimate Liquid Wax has a light filler to help hide swirls I think)

I did my Trans Am by hand and it has minimal swirls on my black paint. Here's an old pic with the ZR1's, I don't have any close ups but you can see where the sun hits it and you can see how clear it is in direct light.

Tiny scratches in paint.. only in direct sunlight? Is every car like this?-6jood83.jpg
Old 10-01-2013, 05:43 PM
PZA
Teching In

Thanks for the response - beautiful car.. I am going to take it to a detail shop tomorrow to get a few estimates. I always seem to make things worse when it comes to things like this. Judging by the pictures do you think it's safe to say those light scratches will be removable?

I found a picture that looks just like mine after half of it is detailed.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PZA
Thanks for the response - beautiful car.. I am going to take it to a detail shop tomorrow to get a few estimates. I always seem to make things worse when it comes to things like this. Judging by the pictures do you think it's safe to say those light scratches will be removable?

I found a picture that looks just like mine after half of it is detailed.

Yeah, there's a lot of threads here in the detailing section that look a lot worse but came back to the owner looking new
Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PZA
Hello,

I am not sure what to think.. My cars paint looks amazing under the shade, but if the sunlight hits it at a certain angle you start to see lots of evidence of tiny scratches. Is every car like this?

I attempted to use a clay bar to try to remove some of these, but had no luck. Would it be a good idea to get it professionally detailed?

Here's a picture of what I am talking about

Those are called swirls/spider webbing/Random Isolated Deep Scratches (RIDS).
They are caused by improper washing, its literally scratch marks on the clear coat from something being dragged across it.
Make sure you get a reputable detailer, not some joe schmoe, as you can cover up those swirls with glaze that will just wash off later. To get rid of these they have to actually polish the car (basically shave down the clear coat so its even).
Search the appearance section, there are many many threads on preventing and fixing swirls.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

This guy is one of the best detailers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...t-you-pay.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...f-27-5hrs.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-up-visit.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...on-detail.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...caglietti.html
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM
PZA
Teching In

I managed to find a place that has a good reputation in my area. 16 5 star reviews from multiple sources.

This is the package I need correct?

Compound, Polish and Wash
Approx time (3 to 4 Hours)

Full Service Hand Wash; follow by compound to remove MOST minor scratches, Water spots,blemishes and oxidation. The paint is polish to enhance the shine. Prices staring at
Old 10-02-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

It doesn't mention a wax, make sure they wax it or use a sealant lol. It wouldn't hurt to have it Clay Bar'd too before it gets corrected.

Last edited by xBrandonx; 10-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM
PZA
Teching In

Ok, just got back from the detailer.

Compound, Polish, Wax and full wash for $199.

Compound, Polish and Wash
Approx time (3 to 4 Hours)

Car looks amazing. You really don't notice the scratches anymore. Under very direct sunlight you can hint at some but I believe it was drastically reduced. Ill see if I can get a picture of the same area.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

You will have to just wait to see how good work he actually did, thats a pretty cheap price but i guess it depends on location
Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM
PZA
Teching In

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
You will have to just wait to see how good work he actually did, thats a pretty cheap price but i guess it depends on location
Yeah, Ill give it a couple of weeks. It was an interesting place. It was basically a "do it yourself" carwash but the guy had his employees and work van filled with everything. Just a small out-door waiting area. Was pretty fun watching them wash high end cars. Took them about 3 hours to complete everything.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Nice thats cool.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by PZA
Yeah, Ill give it a couple of weeks. It was an interesting place. It was basically a "do it yourself" carwash but the guy had his employees and work van filled with everything. Just a small out-door waiting area. Was pretty fun watching them wash high end cars. Took them about 3 hours to complete everything.
How many guys were working on your car? Generally, it takes about 3-4 hours per step when working quickly. It takes time to microscopically level the paint and remove marks.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's almost no way you can remove anything substantial from GM paint in polishing for only 3 -4 hours, let alone a wash and wax in that time frame as well. My guess is it was a one-step light polish followed by a glaze to fill everything in.

One way to tell for sure is to take some isopropyl rubbing alcohol on a microfiber towel on a test spot, say on the hood, and rub it in a motion opposite of how you normally wash the car (if you usually rub the wash mitt up and down the hood, do this side to side). If any marring show up in the pattern you normally was that area, they were just filled with glaze. Obviously, re-seal that area with a sealant/wax, but then you'll know for sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Teching In

GM clear is generally very hard and takes quite a bit of effort to work out, as said above it may have only been filled with glaze
From my own experience detailing an f body this panel alone took about an hour by itself

The front bumper was heavily oxidized and took me roughly 1.5 hours
Almost no reflection

After
Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Autopia-CarCare
How many guys were working on your car? Generally, it takes about 3-4 hours per step when working quickly. It takes time to microscopically level the paint and remove marks.
Todd is absolutely correct. I seriously doubt that you received anything more than an AIO (all-in-one) product. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters, but do not be surprised when you see the swirls and rids pop back up.

Quick Reply: Tiny scratches in paint.. only in direct sunlight? Is every car like this?