Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Started on my matte black wrap today on my 95 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Started on my matte black wrap today on my 95 trans am

I have been wanting to do something different with my car and decided to wrap it. I've had the material for a few months and finally was able to do some work on it today. so far it has been a learning experience but each panel got easier to lay down. I went with Avery color change vinyl and it seems to be a very nice product. I do lots of racecar graphics but have never attempted a full wrap till now. I will post more progress pics as I get it done!

Old 05-06-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a matte black fan unless its a Gwagon, But that does look good.

Looks like your doing a nice job with the install as well, Cant wait to see the finished product
Old 05-09-2016, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good. I'm curious to see how matte turns out on a bird. My friend and I finished my wrap a few weeks ago using a 3m Gloss color. What are your plans for the front and rear bumper? Also the hood and under the spoiler whats your plan of attacking them?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Looks very good, planning on doing the hood all with one sheet?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Guys! To be honest im not really sure what my plan of attack is going to be on the hood, front and rear bumpers lol. For the rear spoiler I am going to remove the spoiler, wrap the hatch and spoiler individually and the re assemble it. I figured I would started with the "easy" panels to get used to the vinyl and how to work with it and the attack the hard pieces. I ordered 10 extra feet just in case I mess a panel up but so far it hasn't been that bad. I did the driver side fender and door today after work, Took about 2 hours from start to finish for the 2 panels.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Thanks Guys! To be honest im not really sure what my plan of attack is going to be on the hood, front and rear bumpers lol. For the rear spoiler I am going to remove the spoiler, wrap the hatch and spoiler individually and the re assemble it. I figured I would started with the "easy" panels to get used to the vinyl and how to work with it and the attack the hard pieces. I ordered 10 extra feet just in case I mess a panel up but so far it hasn't been that bad. I did the driver side fender and door today after work, Took about 2 hours from start to finish for the 2 panels.
How much did you order? I ordered 50ft. Ended up screwing a door up somehow completely. Saved some by cutting the pass 1/4 with the drivers fender. And the opposite on the next cut. We did the nose and rear in one piece each except for the fogs and corner lights. The hood we cut the front of the nostrils and laid them first then did the rest. And went your approach removing the spoiler. However since I didn't do a color change I didn't wrap the underside of the spoiler since it looks like a pain to wrap. Are you using any adhesion promoter or edge sealer? I have some progress pics if you think it will help you.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wonder if doing the hood in 3 pieces and leaving "shiny" blackbird stripes would look good?
Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Wonder if doing the hood in 3 pieces and leaving "shiny" blackbird stripes would look good?
Some good knife less tape skills would be needed but then you would have more edges that could fail.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually really like that idea
Old 05-10-2016, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

...or maybe leave the whole raised area of the hood shiny. That may be easier than shiny bb stripes and would look just as sharp
Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

I made some more progress today, got both rear quarter panels wrapped and also removed the spoiler from the hatch and wrapped the hatch. There was about 20 years of dirt under the spoiler lol. The more I look at the car the more j have been throwing the idea around in my head about leaving the sail panel and the raised part of the hood gloss black. Right now I am really liking the way it looks with the gloss/matte black contrast. So far it has been a fun project!

Phantoms: I ordered 45' of it, from what I read in other forums it said you would need between 30-40' to wrap an entire car, hopefully I have some left over because now my brother wants me to wrap the bottom half of his ram truck matte black lol.

Just a little dirty lol

I'm loving the way it is looking!!! It looks odd without the spoiler
Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Old 05-11-2016, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Looking good. If you leave the sail gloss then you could leave the mirrors gloss too those are a Bitch. AlsonI don't see how someone could do one of these with 30-40. I was very saving when doing my car and besides wasting about 30 inches on that one door I only had about 3 foot left over. Used minimum bleed on the edges too. The biggest pieces were the nose and rear bumper. I think the rear bumper was like 130inches long? But the height was small enough to do the nose with the same length. The side skirts being very long were done with the same part as the sail panel.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Now I'm worried that I might not have enough lol. That front bumper pic looks intimidating lol. Did you pre heat the vinyl before you applied it or did you put it on the car and then started to work it with heat?
Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rebob5
Now I'm worried that I might not have enough lol. That front bumper pic looks intimidating lol. Did you pre heat the vinyl before you applied it or did you put it on the car and then started to work it with heat?
The rear bumper is actually more difficult because you are going vertical horizontal then vertical again with a curve. And the nose was prestretched with heat before and laid on the front part first. Then worked with heat to shrink the section that leads to the hood. Being metallic my vinyl was fragile if not heated correctly. But it has amazing stretch and paired with their tape primer it stays down at the hard curves and stuff.

Here's a rough thing I did on my phone to show how I cut the vinyl I know I drew the drivers fender and pass quarter backwards but you get the point.

Last edited by phantoms; 05-12-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks pretty nice. I dig that exhaust set up you have.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Any more progress?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

The hood can be done in one piece if you take your time. I did my 02 ws6 hood without any seams.

The bumpers will almost definitely need to be cut, what I do is wrap it all the way around both sides, then cut it at the edges where it transitions into the top part, then fold down the top and wrap it, if that makes any sense.

Looks like you're doing pretty good so far, just take your time and try to keep your patience
Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Made some more progress, I've slowly been working on it.... The weather in ny hasn't been cooperating very well.... It's usually only 60 or so out and the vinyl likes it better when it's warmer out. I'm about 95% there, only have the rear bumper, mirrors left to wrap and then install my gloss black racing stripes on the hood and I'll be ready to go! Still 50/50 on weather to plastidip the wheels black or leave them chrome.... Decisions decisions lol. Here are some progress pics... I love the look of the gloss stripes on the matte car!!!!

Quick Reply: Started on my matte black wrap today on my 95 trans am