Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Plasti-Dip or vinyl wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Plasti-Dip or vinyl wrap?

Originally I was not considering dipping the car, but maybe I should since it's cheaper & I would do it myself on my own time. However, I do not want a matte finish.

Should I stick with having the car wrapped? If I dipped it, I would just order the DIY kit off the site for a few hundred. What about Autoflex?

If anyone here has dipped or applied Autoflex to a car please chime in. I've dipped many wheels & other small parts, but never body panels.

Last edited by FlyinOn4Wheels; 01-25-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

From what I've read if your paint is damaged/clear coat flaking a vinyl job will look bad and will not last long.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
From what I've read if your paint is damaged/clear coat flaking a vinyl job will look bad and will not last long.
True. Thankfully, my paint is not flaking.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plastidip has come a long way since it first came out. They have the new glossy top coat that will not have a matte finish. From what ive seen, you need a pretty stout compressor for the autoflex stuff & probably not something you would want to do in your garage as it creates a ton of overspray.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MM98
The plastidip has come a long way since it first came out. They have the new glossy top coat that will not have a matte finish. From what ive seen, you need a pretty stout compressor for the autoflex stuff & probably not something you would want to do in your garage as it creates a ton of overspray.
Are you referring to the glossifier stuff that is also sold in cans? If so, I've used that & was not impressed.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. I think they call it dip pearl top coat, only sold by the gallon.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest going the plasti-dip route. I went with the vinyl wrap on several pieces and while it is holding up extremely well (and Minnesota has extreme heat and extreme cold) it does not stick well in some of the more extreme curves our cars have. In my case it did not hold super well in the deep indents of my rear view mirrors or on some of the hood vents.

When I take it back out this spring I intend to go the plasti-dip route to redo the mirrors, and I just cut out the hood vents as the hood was flat black underneath. On the sail panel it is holding great but the vinyl does not hold back the bubbling as I expected.

Just my 2 cents from one side of the story, I haven't used plasti-dip at all yet.
Attached Thumbnails Plasti-Dip or vinyl wrap?-img_2579.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrapped my entire car myself and it was a project!! I have been doing vinyl graphics for the last 10 years and this was the first full wrap that I did and it was a learning curve. It was around $500 in materials and took me about a month doing a panel here and there after work. It helped that I had a large garage with plenty of room to lay the material out and not have to rush anything. The finished product came out flawless and I live the way it looks. Not sure how the plasti dip would be, Im not much of a painter LOL.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I dipped my Camaro twice now, once Flat Black and once Electric Lime Green. The actual dipping process is not hard. Prep is the most important thing. I missed taping off a few spots when I did the green and now I have green over spray on a lot of my trim and seals. Any water underneath will cause it to bubble.

I ordered the kit but I suggest ordering 2 more gallons. The thicker it goes on the easier it comes off.

Personally I won't dip a whole car again. My paint was bad on the SS hood and spoiler so they are still dipped but will be getting painted soon.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to take this too far off topic: but is there any difference in paint protection between plasti-dip and vinyl?

I’m looking to preserve the original paint, and I’m considering either option....

(most important thing would be removability without damaging the paint/bodywork underneath).

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip or vinyl wrap?