Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005 | 06:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00T\A
Well not sure about where u are at but just had mine replaced this month an the dealer Ernie Guzman here in Teaxs also had to order.
From Where i have no clue.
Keep pushing them.
I have the t-top model, apart from the main piece (sail panel) is there any other parts that need to be ordered. any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 09-30-2005 | 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firebatbirdv8
I have the t-top model, apart from the main piece (sail panel) is there any other parts that need to be ordered. any help would be appreciated thanks.
Same here they have to order the whole sail panel,which is a fiberglass piece that is behind the T-Tops.
The p\n for it is located somewhere in this thread.
Old 09-30-2005 | 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00T\A
Same here they have to order the whole sail panel,which is a fiberglass piece that is behind the T-Tops.
The p\n for it is located somewhere in this thread.
I have the p/n which is 10254708
Old 10-02-2005 | 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update on my CETA

I took the car in a couple days ago for a Pontiac Rep to look at. Once he looked at it he said it was covered. Now I'm just waiting for the dealership to get in the part and paint it.

Whoo hoo!
Old 10-16-2005 | 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Hi Everyone , My dealership over here in the UK has ordered the ROOF PANEL (sail panel) and the apliques, does anyone know what the part number is for the new glue which is used to stick the panel on with thanks.
Old 10-16-2005 | 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by firebatbirdv8
Hi Everyone , My dealership over here in the UK has ordered the ROOF PANEL (sail panel) and the apliques, does anyone know what the part number is for the new glue which is used to stick the panel on with thanks.

3M® Urethane 08690

__________________________________________________ _________
Bubbles in the Paint Around the Perimeter of the Roof (Replace Roof) #03-08-98-001A - (04/02/2003)
Bubbles in the Paint Around the Perimeter of the Roof (Replace Roof)
1999-2002 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2002 Pontiac Firebird

This bulletin is being revised to correct a part number in the Parts Information section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-98-001 (Section 08-Body and Accessories)

Implementation of this service bulletin by "GM of Canada" dealers requires prior District Service Manager approval.

Condition
Some customers may comment that there are
bubbles in the paint around the perimeter of the roof.

Correction
Replace the outer roof panel with a new roof panel following the procedure below:

T-Top Vehicles

Clean the bottom of the panel with Naptha, then scuff the bottom and clean with Naptha again.
Paint and clearcoat the top of the panel. Refer to GM 4901M-2003 Refinish Approved Refinish Booklet, GM 4901 M-D-2003 (English) or 4901 M-D-F2003 (French).
Paint the bottom of the roof panel with an epoxy primer. Refer to GM 4901M-2003 Refinish Approved Refinish Booklet, GM 4901 M-D-2003 (English) or 4901 M-D-F2003 (French).
Remove the weatherstrip and the run channel retainer on the "B" pillar prior to removing the roof tape off or protect the back light reveal molding.
Use the wire method to cut the urethane around the perimeter of the roof. Refer to the above illustration for urethane location.
Remove any excess but not all of the urethane from the body.
Apply primer 76 mm (3 in) around the perimeter to the roof panel.
V cut the urethane tube and apply a 19 mm (3/4 in) high bead around the perimeter of the roof and the three dots across the back.
Install new applique to the roof.
Install the weatherstrip and the run channel retainer on the "B" pillar.
Hard Top Vehicles

Notice
In steps five and six, be careful not to cut too deep or damage may occur to the head liner.

Cut through the roof from the front (at the windshield) to the rear (rear hatch opening).
Make a second cut starting at the upper rear corner of the door glass opening across the car.

Pull back or peel the roof or cut the urethane. Refer to the illustration above for urethane location.
Remove any excess but not all of the urethane from the body.
Apply primer 76 mm (3 in) around the perimeter to the roof panel
If the windshield molding was damaged during removal, replace it before the next step.
V cut the urethane tube and apply a 19 mm (3/4 in) high bead around the perimeter of the roof and the three dots across the back.
With an assistant, slide the front panel under the windshield molding and lay down the rear.
Press down on the roof and make sure the top is even, side to side at the "C" Pillar.
Install the weatherstrip and the run channel retainer on the "B" pillar and roof.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Panel (Hard Top)

Panel (T-Top)

Applique Quarter Panel Upper Right

Applique Quarter Panel Upper Left

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

The following urethanes are available from outside auto parts suppliers:

U400 HV Essex (Dow)
3M® Urethane 08690
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

A9221
R&R Roof
T-Top 1.5 hrs

Hard Top 2.0 hrs

Add
Color/Clearcoat
T-Top 0.7 hr GG

Hard Top 1.2 hrs GL

Add
Mix Time
0.3 hr GG

0.4 hr GL

Old 10-19-2005 | 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Wow I'm being told I cannot get it replaced unless I want to pay close to 2 grand out of my pocket. '01 Camaro SS 24K miles on it.
Old 10-19-2005 | 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

You can fight that, especially with such low miles and it's an 01. Do you still have your warranty?
Old 10-19-2005 | 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
You can fight that, especially with such low miles and it's an 01. Do you still have your warranty?
I believe so I still have the window sticker
Name:  IMG_1597.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  59.7 KB
Old 10-19-2005 | 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Then I would get them to do it. It's not rust, it's a manufacturing defect and they have to cover it. I'd raise holy hell if I was you. But seriously, call Chevy's customer service line and get the dealership's regional manager involved. You shouldn't have to pay!
Old 10-20-2005 | 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

I took it to the dealer yesterday they took a look at it. He commented on how clean I kept the car and said he would try to help me out. According to him the rust-through wont cover that piece because it is fiberglass. I double check my warranty sure enough it says it covers sheet metal only for rust through. Anyways he said he would call me today when he finds out more.
Old 10-27-2005 | 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

It's times like this that I thank the car gods that I have friends in the paint and body business. Mine has just started hinting at bubbling, no oozing, no clear separating yet.

I personally know my local Chevrolet body shop manager. I have a friend that works there. If they don't want to fix it, my dad is the manager at a local body shop so I can take the damn thing off myself and fix it.

Sometimes I realize just how lucky I am.

Good luck with your panels guys.
Old 10-28-2005 | 01:01 PM
Teching In

well i printed off the service bulletin and i am going to go contact a couple of dealers about it locally down here in sc.. see what i can get done.. Mine looks horrid.. much like the photos earlier.

thanks
-steve
Old 10-28-2005 | 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I posted on this back in June when I first saw mine. Still no fix. They supposidly have to talk to the district manager for approval, but in no way will it be free. They beleive the deductible will be around 1000 dollars. The funny thing, they NEVER returned my calls once, every time I had to go back to them, to find out the distric manager was never contacted. Talk about some BS.

Yea this isnt recall work, and maybe shouldnt be done for free. But I'm in no way going to pay 1000 bucks for their **** up. I wouldn't have a problem given them $100 and calling it good, but they don't want to play that way. So for now I'm stuck with bubbles, GM phone support people who can't find the TSB, GM service managers who wont fix the problem, and district managers who either arent getting called, or arent bothering to care.
Old 10-29-2005 | 12:25 AM
Teching In

I just had my car in the dealer to have this fixed they gave me no problems except it took over 3 months to get the new panel in. And my roof did not look as bad as the pictures. I just took it to where I bought the car. People have told me to get service done where you buy the car. They want to make you happy. And alest this dealer did. I hope you guys get your panels repaired.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2005 | 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

can some one post of a picture of the roof bubbles?
Old 10-29-2005 | 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

check out the first couple pages of pictures.

Ill be starting my parade into GM late november when im back home. Ill log all of my experience so that if/when i reach success, some of you other guys can duplicate it, especially you georgia folks.

Do you guys think it would be to our advantage to threaten them with news of us creating a lawsuit or bring up the fact that we know many other owners are having this problem? or just keep it based around our own experience and leave the rest hush hush. On one hand i feel like if they really realize how serious me or the rest of us are by stating that there could be a lawsuit on their hands, then theyll budge faster. But also, theyll see how many roof panels theyre gonna have to replace in the future and will deny a $100 deductible to make up for this escalating cost. of course, im sure they know that many customers are gonna be barkin at their doorstep about this problem already.
Old 10-31-2005 | 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey if there are any of you guys out there that has got GM to pay for the whole sail panel replacement; and have any documents or letters from GM if you could send a copy to my e-mail this would help myself and my buddy get ours taking care of that is what one of the dealers has told us. I've talked to GM Customer Service and they have been some what helpful. The dealer told me that he talked to his GM Rep and they said they would pay half right off the bat . Then they asked for my mileage and Vin # and then I told the guy at the dealership that guys on line has got GM to pay the whole bill and , that is when he told me to get a copy where GM has payed for the whole thing and that would get us in.

P.S. If anybody in Indiana has got this done let us know who and where they are located.
Old 11-02-2005 | 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by strippedSS
P.S. If anybody in Indiana has got this done let us know who and where they are located.
I'm working on it boss.. I'll see what I can do.. I think I might have met you at Burger King. I'll keep you updated.
Old 11-09-2005 | 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Has anybody in southern California gone through this? If so I would like to know which dealer you went through, as I want to make sure that I get this handled.

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies