Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Custom Hood Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
I really like the one with the vents in the side of the hood...
The main problem with that idea is that I don't know of anyone making a vent in that shape. For it to look right it would need to match the shape just right. The only compromise I can think of would be to have a louver place (like the louvers you see on old school street rods) punch some vents in that shape on a section of sheetmetal and then I could weld it in place. Looks like this, but each louver can be made a different length.
Those types of louvers stick up, though and I was wanting vents that were flush with the hood. I don't know, it might look fine. Your welcome to use that idea if you want.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the one with the louvers on the side, but I like the one with the nostrils filled even more!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The main problem with that idea is that I don't know of anyone making a vent in that shape. For it to look right it would need to match the shape just right. The only compromise I can think of would be to have a louver place (like the louvers you see on old school street rods) punch some vents in that shape on a section of sheetmetal and then I could weld it in place. Looks like this, but each louver can be made a different length.
Those types of louvers stick up, though and I was wanting vents that were flush with the hood. I don't know, it might look fine. Your welcome to use that idea if you want.
I think I'm going to see if I can fab something up. I really like the louver on the sides. Thanks...
Old 07-30-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll help you if I can. Here's some vents that are close.
http://www.carxpressions.com/exterior/turbovents.htm

Hey, check this out. I knew I remembered a car with something similar:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657069
Old 07-30-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'll help you if I can. Here's some vents that are close.
http://www.carxpressions.com/exterior/turbovents.htm
Do you know if they make any that are metal, like the stock T/A hood?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Do you know if they make any that are metal, like the stock T/A hood?
No I don't, but I'm sure a shop can punch whatever design and shape you want into some blank sheetmetal and you could then trim and weld them in.

I was wondering why the car in my above post didn't have them molded in. I didn't realize they were ABS.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I got me a spare hood. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do with it.
Does anyone like the enlarged shaker scoop on this car?
http://www.2002firehawk-c26.net/Heri...ritageTA07.jpg

It really is bigger than it looks, huge even. Look how far forward it goes. Right up to the radiator.
http://www.2002firehawk-c26.net/Heri...ritageTA12.JPG

It's pretty tall, too. That may look really well on a black car. I'm considering it.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-14-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

That might look alright on a black car, I'm stilll a big fan of the vents on the side of the hood.

When are you giong to start tearing into it?
Old 08-07-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've learned not to set dealines. I'm just going to take my time.

I've been thinking about the side vents as well. I may contact a louver company to see if they can punch out a 90* trapezoid shape. I would have them do it in a sheetmetal section and do a mirror image and then ship them out to me. Then I would have to bend them slightly to match the curves, cut out the matching shape in the hood and weld them in. The inner fenders by the hood get water all over them anyway so water shouldn't be a concern.

|-\
|--\
|---\
|----\
|-----\
|------\
|-------\

In order to get the spacing in between the louvers equal they will need to make the lengths different on every punch. I don't know if they can do it or there may be a size limit.

Check this out. This is Chris's car. I closed the rear hatch, reshaped the hood stripes to match the nose shape and blended the vents in.

Here it is with the vents matched to the shape of the hood creases.

Looks pretty good, huh? I may add them to mine. I don't want to do too much stuff to the hood.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I liked that look so much I wanted to see how it would look with the pointy nose and matching stripes. Looks pretty damn good to me.

Comments?

Old 08-07-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

i like the louvers. i think they should either start right behind the headlights or like above. the pointed nose looks good too. the bigger cowl looks good too. do u have to run a front plate? smoothed front plate cover would look good, i saw a car with it done and it looks really good. i think the louvers that don't stick up, but instead start below the hood and come level would look better.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a few yellow things on my car, so here's yellow.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-08-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

I really like this...
Old 08-07-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
do u have to run a front plate? smoothed front plate cover would look good, i saw a car with it done and it looks really good. i think the louvers that don't stick up, but instead start below the hood and come level would look better.
Keep in mind this picture is based on Chris's car, not mine.
Here's my front plate solution. I don't want to fill in the plate area in case I HAVE to use it. I've thought about removing the bird from the plate cover, though.

I don't think the vents right behind the lights would look right. Maybe, but I prefer them set back a bit. Remember, the further forward they are the wider the vent will be. I don't want super wide vents plus there might be a width limit from the company punching them.

Have you considered that the louvers could be welded in upside down? The vents would be flush with the hood. That might look good too, but for it to look good they vents would have to be facing the rear and that would make it hard for the air to flow out.

I wish a knew someone who could custom make vents. That would solve a lot of problems.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I may decide to have the louvers airbrushed on with a siver or gray. Nothing fancy, but a realistic looking louver. I'm going to have to ask around some painters for someone who could do it. I may also leave off the stripes and go back to a nice scoop heat extractor. I think I can fab up some 5" pvc pipe and shape it, bondo it and chrome paint it real quick and just lay it on the hood to get an idea of what it will look like. The big hood work will probably not get going until the temps go down some. Here in Houston the heat and high humidity cause you to sweat as soon as you walk outside.

I'm definetly going to point the nose as the factory round curve sucks. That factory shape is just not working for me. I think you nay-sayers will like it once it is actually done in metal and primered. The point tip will be at a 90* angle. I think I made the photoshop pics pointier than it will actually be. I've mocked it up with cardboard and it looks great, so I think you guys should hold off on saying the pointy hood is a bad idea. Wait until you actually see it.

I'm working on a new induction system as well. Here is a Photoshop I did that is very close, but I will run silicone elbows (probably blue) and the new radiator shroud will extend forward about 4 inches.

I can work on all that from inside the house. So, as long as I don't run low on money and the shipping doesn't take too long on the parts, it should be done in 2-3 weeks. The reason I mention it here in this thread is that I plan to remove the hood metal on either side of the latch, weld in some sheetmetal filler panels and fab up a new safety catch. This way the filters will have a straight shot of air coming into them.
Here's a quick rendering on a different hood to give you an idea.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

I like the smoothe hood. Very stealthy. With some louvers it would look pretty good I think.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Import Patrol

It looks alright, I personally would not want that on my car. But different strokes for different folks
Old 08-14-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ImportPatrolWS6
It looks alright, I personally would not want that on my car. But different strokes for different folks
The intake or one of the hood designs?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

If you need any of the areas of a hood that I manufacture I can offer them to you to use in the new hood deign. Rex
Old 08-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Launching!

I like that filled nose pic.

Quick Reply: Custom Hood Mods