Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Custom Hood Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally, here are some pics of me actually starting this project.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it's used. It was on a blue car and then the guy sold it to his friend and while it was in the paint shop being changed to white, the friend sold his car. So this white hood has never been on a car which is why it looks so clean. For some strange reason the paint shop did not remove the rubber seal around the airbox opening so you can see the white decaying seal. I'm going to have to clean that all up somehow. I'm also going to have to fix the rear corners as they got a chipped a little during transport.

I want to do several things to it actually.

Here is the bottom panel. I think I can cover the big air box hole with a piece of mirrored plexi and then cut out some more to fit the other flat spots. I think it would be easier than trying to fiberglass it up. I'll also enlarge the air intake in the nose by cutting out the baffles. Here's a pic.

The main thing is going to be reshaping the nose to resemble a Firehawk. Here's a sample pic.

All in all, it's a bit of work. I'll log my progress here.
Later.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-09-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

I'd like to see a Chevy big block style hood for the 98 up TA. Someone made one for the 93-97 and it looks good. Someone local has one.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I'd like to see a Chevy big block style hood for the 98 up TA. Someone made one for the 93-97 and it looks good. Someone local has one.
That doesn't really have anything to do with this thread.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDIT.

I would fill the nose in as stated, and fill in the large hole ... But the hood looks great as is .
Old 09-10-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't in good concience do that to my automobile. The nose has to be straightened.
Here is a closeup of a similar hood.

And here is a Firehawk to compare it with.

See the difference?

Besides, it will make the hood unique and keep people guessing as to what it is.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I can't in good concience do that to my automobile. The nose has to be straightened.
Here is a closeup of a similar hood.

And here is a Firehawk to compare it with.

See the difference?

Besides, it will make the hood unique and keep people guessing as to what it is.
I didn't understand what you were doing either untill you posted these pics...

You are 100% right though, these mods HAVE to be done to the hood...
Old 09-13-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

If anyone has any ideas for the paint,let me know. It will be black, but I was thinking of a dark orange and red True Fire flame job flowing over the 2 scoops to the rear. Something in this style.

I think the flames would look good in roughly the shape of 2 stripes that follow the hood lines.

I could smooth out the front plate cover and have an firebird in flames as well as something similar on the tail light filler. Sort of create a theme. If not in real flame colors them maybe in blue flames instead.

I'm not into flash, but I want folks to think it's some kind of show quality job. Something impressive looking.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-13-2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Hello Fellows. I was trying to submit a new thread but the site is not letting me. I was going to submit a thread on opinions about 35th anniversarry decals which I found on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
What do you think about this and what do you think about putting ANY vinyl 35th anniversarry decals on my Camaro 01? Is there going to be problems on bubbles, car wax residue or pelling or decal fading????
Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ouch! svrider01. This is called hijacking a thread as it has nothing to do with me or custom hoods.

Can you please delete your posts.

If you do a search in the Appearance section for "35th anniversary" or "vinyl" you can find quite a few similar posts.

Try this one:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...th+anniversary
Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, all some very creative ideas you have going there Jason. I still think I liked the stock hood with the side louvres the best though. WHo knows about this latest incarnation with the scoop on a FH hood. COuld be killer, either way good luck.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svrider01
Hello Fellows. I was trying to submit a new thread but the site is not letting me.
You can try the user support section to address your problems submitting a new thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/user-support-resources-52/
Old 09-14-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
Damn, all some very creative ideas you have going there Jason. I still think I liked the stock hood with the side louvres the best though. WHo knows about this latest incarnation with the scoop on a FH hood. COuld be killer, either way good luck.
That was an old idea. I've got the Raptor now. The lines on this thing are so good, I'm not going to mess with it besides the nose fitment issue.

I'm still trying to decide whether to leave it solid black or have some custom paint work added. I may go solid black and come back later with a vinyl Blackbird stripe along the outer sides. For the lettering I may go with "Digital" or "LS2" just for grins. Digital because it has a PC with all the usual stuff (GPS navigation, internet, DVD, XM radio, etc...) Plus a big sound system with digital EQ, X-over, time alignment, etc... So it's pretty high tech.

Here's a similar hood with the stripe. I think they look pretty good together even though the stripe was made for the Ram Air hood.
http://www.mtfba.org/forum/images/up...sh99ta/701.jpg
Old 09-14-2006, 02:59 AM
Banned

That was an old idea. I've got the Raptor now. The lines on this thing are so good, I'm not going to mess with it besides the nose fitment issue.

I'm still trying to decide whether to leave it solid black or have some custom paint work added. I may go solid black and come back later with a vinyl Blackbird stripe along the outer sides. For the lettering I may go with "Digital" or "LS2" just for grins. Digital because it has a PC with all the usual stuff (GPS navigation, internet, DVD, XM radio, etc...) Plus a big sound system with digital EQ, X-over, time alignment, etc... So it's pretty high tech.

Here's a similar hood with the stripe. I think they look pretty good together even though the stripe was made for the Ram Air hood.
http://www.mtfba.org/forum/images/up...sh99ta/701.jpg
Don't do the stripe on a Raptor hood, it looks like @ss

The hood looks killer, leave it alone and enjoy !
Old 09-14-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my front plate solution.

OMG LMFAO!!!!

i gotta try this....
Old 09-14-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Nope. Tried it already. Looked like crap. The last guy who suggested that changed his mind pretty quick about it, too.
Here's one of my test pictures I did a while back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...2_25_full1.jpg

I actually like the double decker look. I just think the bigger upper scoops need to be sized down to match the lower scoops and then the rear of the scoops on the windshield end need to be higher. If you look at the profile of the Ram Air scoops you will see the the front is 3" tall and the rear is 1.5" tall. I want to make my scoops the same height from front to rear. Probably 2.5" from front to back. Then the front scoops will be closer in size to the lower scoops and it will stick up higher near the windshield to give it a more aggressive look. I could also change the factory 3"/1.5" height to 2.5"/2". It's that subtle difference that makes the side view of the car totally work better and integrate with the windshield angle.

A bonus idea on this modded Ram Air design would be that I could bond in some clear etched plexiglass inserts around the decal area. I could then mount some different LED's and make the "RAM AIR" logo light up at night. Red, blue, orange, whatever. I even saw a circuit that slowly changes colors using 3 LED's and cycles through the whole rainbow in about 20 seconds. It's mezmerizing. Or just leave it off and the plexi would appear off-white colored. I would just use a stencil over that area when I paint it black. Peel the stencil off and then clear the hood. I see it as one of those subtle things that no one would notice until you turn it on and then jaws would drop.

I don't know why I chose this 2 tone picture to show the light up lettering, but here it is.
Red:

Blue:

That is an absolute great idea, the LED's on the hood... Id select that mod, adn then what i have been researching should be a great one. I am just thinking about the "kinks" but i plan to buy the ws9 hood, and mount the reverse style Corvette latches... I just need to work out the clearance issues with the$ front bumper. I undestand it will actually rise up (extend upwrd) to clear the bumper. I have been told it would be done, for me. But i wanna pioneer it- and post the pics. Sounds tacky? I think it will look sick.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

oh and underhood mirrors...lol
Old 09-14-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the stripe looks good. I may have it painted on. If I didn't like it after a while I could always get black strip of high quality vinyl and place it over the top to hide it.

The reason I'm thinking about painting it in is because I could have the painter make it from some fancy silver, aluminum, copper or gold leaf. I've never seen that done before. They all have the potential to look good. The darker copper or gold would blend in better and not be so noticable at night, but would pop during the day. The lighter aluminum and silver would be more noticable at night and of course pop during the day. I think it would be hot looking.

I had no idea there where so many to choose from. Here's a sample of metal leafs.
http://www.uhlfeldergoldleaf.com/MagicLeaf.htm

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-14-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by treysoucie
OMG LMFAO!!!!

i gotta try this....
I've got some Constable friends and they said it was fine. I haven't had any warnings or anything either. Still, I went 3 years with no front plate at all with no trouble, so your mileage my vary.

BTW, I'm trying to rig up some kind of light to make the plates glow at night. I have an LED flashlight that makes it glow real nice if the light bounces off of it at a 180* angle. Or else I may try and paint over the white areas with a clear UV paint and then attach a black light over head.

Oh yea, I did modify it a little since that picture was taken. On a few driveways it would scrape and you could hear the metal, so I decided to trim 3/8" off the entire bottom to keep it from scraping and then put a 1/4 notch where the plate goes to raise it a little highier. Now the scoop does not scrape and when it does the metal plate does not contact the ground, only the plastic.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I tried to do a composite of the 2 best hood pics I have.

Something doesn't seem right, but I can't put my finger on it.

I did this picture a while ago, but it obviously isn't right. I cut too much off the tip of the nose. From the composite I will need to extend the hood all the way to the tip of the Raptor hood.

Quick Reply: Custom Hood Mods