Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is bbb and tsb? mine just started, and its not noticable unless you look really closely.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Looks like you can add me to this list. Noticed this weekend I have abunch of bubbles in the roof of my 01 SS with 12,000 miles. Always garaged and waxed and clean.

Going this week to talk with the service writer to get it fixed and fixed right. Hopefully they wont hassle me and fix it under warrenty.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

I had the car out in the driveway for 5 hours in this Texas heat, and I actually noticed more bubbles (of course everything is more noticeable on a black car in the sun anyway) and one actually was friggin oozing! Is the clear coat "breathable"? Is it possible for this 'gas' to release itself over time without this bubbling occuring (wishful thinking I guess).....?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a **** load of bubbles, it'll be fixed soon
Old 08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a 2nd owner and there's no warranty...will I be able to get this fixed??
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrEddie
I had the car out in the driveway for 5 hours in this Texas heat, and I actually noticed more bubbles (of course everything is more noticeable on a black car in the sun anyway) and one actually was friggin oozing! Is the clear coat "breathable"? Is it possible for this 'gas' to release itself over time without this bubbling occuring (wishful thinking I guess).....?

I did the same thing. I left my car on the trailer the other night when I got home from the track and didn't put it back in the garage until about 3pm the next day. I had oozing bubbles and 100 times more bubbles than I had ever noticed before. I stuck pinholes in a couple to keep them from getting any bigger. My car has spent 99% of it's life in the garage. This is such bullshit. I'm not going to even try to deal with my dealership because they are the biggest ******** I have ever dealt with in my life. Looks like I'll be out a few hundred to get this fixed now.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CrimeSScene
I did the same thing. I left my car on the trailer the other night when I got home from the track and didn't put it back in the garage until about 3pm the next day. I had oozing bubbles and 100 times more bubbles than I had ever noticed before. I stuck pinholes in a couple to keep them from getting any bigger. My car has spent 99% of it's life in the garage. This is such bullshit. I'm not going to even try to deal with my dealership because they are the biggest ******** I have ever dealt with in my life. Looks like I'll be out a few hundred to get this fixed now.
One of mine on the pass. side of the roof keeps oozing and running down the panel.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Can someone post a link to the recall. I'm not the original owner but they wouldn't fix mine and really hadn't heard of it either!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

the cost for this is around 800-1000 dollars, the roof panel alone is 400-500, some body shops call aglass company to put the panel on after paint
Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00NBMCamaro
Im telling you try this method and see if it works for you... Camaro owners I can possibly give you the extension of tyhe guy that helped me out.

I got my car covered after going through the process I outlines.

1. Called GM and told them of the problem. GM rep said go to dealer and let them look at it
2. Went to dealer and go it deemed defective by body shop manager
3. Called same GM rep back and he contacted my local GM service rep.
4. Took about a week to get local service Rep to authorize the repairs
5. Took about 2 weeks for new roof to come in and car is going in the body shop at end of the month

I too have contacted GM, Surprisingly quite polite. I have not visited the dealer but, this above is the process they steered me toward.

The phone number the dealership gave me is 1-800-222-1020.

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Teching In

What we all need is someone who did get this under warranty give us their vin or case number so we can all call GM and say that you fixed it for this guy and I would like the same treatment. I have an 00 SS with 11,400 miles and they only want to pay half of the $850 to fix it. I really pitty the guys who have a hard top and no t-tops. I'm in the process of dealing with them so I will post what happens even if I have to pay half, that way all of you guys should be able to atleast get half of it paid for. This is total crap.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjodom
What we all need is someone who did get this under warranty give us their vin or case number so we can all call GM and say that you fixed it for this guy and I would like the same treatment. I have an 00 SS with 11,400 miles and they only want to pay half of the $850 to fix it. I really pitty the guys who have a hard top and no t-tops. I'm in the process of dealing with them so I will post what happens even if I have to pay half, that way all of you guys should be able to atleast get half of it paid for. This is total crap.
Your car is most likely out of the 6 year corrosion warranty (the only shot people have left). That's what they fixed mine under. If they agreed to pay half then pay it and consider yourself lucky.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tjodom

i'm one of the hard top guys. as soon as i get a new clutch i'm going to the dealer to get the roof/sail panel taken care of. its starting to look hideous.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont feel like reading all these TONS of posts on this matter. My cars roof is bubbling as well and i have called a couple dealerships and they dont even know what im talking about, and they wont do it for free! I dono what all I can do, anyone have any ideas of what can be done?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my01ws6
I dont feel like reading all these TONS of posts on this matter. My cars roof is bubbling as well and i have called a couple dealerships and they dont even know what im talking about, and they wont do it for free! I dono what all I can do, anyone have any ideas of what can be done?
Read the thread!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just had mine repaired. My car sees very little driving only on real nice days, other than that take it out for car shows, 17,00 miles on it. So my car is basically always garaged so I was super pissed when GM said it wasn't covered due to being out of 3/36. Some on this thread say it should be coverd under rust paint coverage but I didn't find this to be the case after calling Pontiac. I called a couple of dealerships around Columbus, OH where I live now and they basically told me to get screwed or call the dealership where I bought the car and see if they would fix it for free. The dealership I bought it from was really good about helping me out and fixed it for free, so I drove it 4 hours to get repaired. This is probably due to the low miles and I am the original owner. They knew about this problem the minute I started talking about it and said they have turned others away due to being second owner or a ton a miles on the car. They called their GM rep, he approved the repair and I was in. I have the car back and they did a real good job. The only question now is did GM issue to use different glue on the repair or will I get this problem again.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
The only question now is did GM issue to use different glue on the repair or will I get this problem again.

There lies the $20,000 question

I am awaiting feedback before pursuing my case any further. Who is to say it won't return?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

My roof (hardtop) is bubbling real bad now. Looks like total ****. Anybody in Houston have this fixed? If so where?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverSS
My roof (hardtop) is bubbling real bad now. Looks like total ****. Anybody in Houston have this fixed? If so where?
Mine was repaired at Champion Chevrolet at Beechnut and Hwy 6

Still looks great but its only been about 2 months since it was repaired
Old 09-15-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLURR
Looks like you can add me to this list. Noticed this weekend I have abunch of bubbles in the roof of my 01 SS with 12,000 miles. Always garaged and waxed and clean.

Going this week to talk with the service writer to get it fixed and fixed right. Hopefully they wont hassle me and fix it under warrenty.
Same conditions, mine has 11xxx miles. Always clean.

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?