Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jurisz28
Mine has been getting worse as time goes on. Started with a few bubbles and now those bubbles ooze out some sort of crap. I'd do something about it with the dealer, but I don't want these hacks over here trying to replace my roof. I'll wait until it gets real nasty and just have the roof painted pewter to match the rest of the car. I know the stuff will come just come right back. But, at least its not as noticeable on pewter. Black shows every imperfection.
Repainting dosent help, just had mine repainted and they started coming back after the first couple of times in the Louisiana heat.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no doubt that it will come back. That is a fact, unless the roof is replaced. But, rather than keep my roof black, I'll have it painted pewter the match the rest of the car. True, its going to come back, but at least that color hides it a little better than black. I would have the roof replaced, but the car has only 10,000 miles and I don't want it sitting in some hacks shop where they most likely will do a **** job and steal half the parts on it. The quality of body shops down here, even the dealer, is pretty **** poor and our proximity to the border makes theft a real problem.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I'm also thinking that this a problem EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE 1998+ fbody will experience at some point in the future if it has not happened yet.
I don't think so.

After reading this thread, so far only one person with a '98 has mentioned having bubbles. Perhaps a change was made in glue or priming materials/proceedures in '99 (which may have effected a few very late '98s) that has caused this issue on '99+ cars.

My '98 has no bubbles. It's in the garage most of the time, but when it does come out, it's always hot and sunny. FWIW, my car was built in 3/98. All date coded parts on my car are stamped from 2/18/98 to 3/18/98, so figure the car was completed on or about 3/18/98.

I'd like to hear more details from the member that had the '98 car with bubbles; like the build date, history of the car, possibile roof damage/repair in years past that may have actually caused the issue, etc. I think that member was Luna.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I experienced it and didn't even have to bring up the point that there was a bulletin, and my dealer replaced at no charge...took em three days, but at least it was free and it looks 10 x better cause the paint will be brand new
Old 07-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Teching In

I have an '01 SS with the bubbling paint on the panel behind the t-tops. It first started right at the bottom of the panel and in the last year has spread across the whole top of the panel. My Camaro has only 11,000 miles on it and never sits outside, it sits in the garage all the time it is not being driven. I have been to 2 dealers, the first one told me there was no way GM would cover it, but the 2nd one was more helpful. They referred me to the GM customer service line and I have been talking to them about it trying to get it covered.
I was told by the customer service rep. that it is my responsibility since it is past the 3 years. She claims that there hasn't been many cars with this problem.

But after reading this post I am going to give her a call again tomorrow and ask her why some cars are being fixed under the rust thru warranty which she told me it wouldn't fall under.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine started bubbling yesterday, it f*ckin sucks, i have an 01 ss with only 18k miles. and its still has the warrenty, im checkin if its covered later.

kevin
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Mine has been bubbling very lightly sitting in the garage, but I left it outside for one day and the bubbles have multiplied by 100 all the way across in two distinct lines.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I was hoping this wouldn't happen to my car, but hopping didn't prevent it. I noticed yesterday that this was starting to happen to my car which has maybe been in the rain at most 3 times, always garaged, never driven in the winter, with flawless paint (up until now).

I called one dealership and got the run around about being out of warrenty, on a car that has only 18,000 miles on it but he said is out due to the 3 year thing. I know some say it is 6 yr 100k but he said that was for rust only.

I called Pontiac directly and they are investigating the bulletin number that is in this post but she said she couldn't find the number. I am going to call another dealership in Columbus, OH to see if they will do something about this without giving me a run around.

The Pontiac rep asked where I found this info so I hope LS1TECH doesn't get any heat for posting a topic like this.

I am so pissed right now that I got the out of warrenty bit from the dealership, I am blowing up right now. This is the sort of thing that aids in GM's trouble and if I dont get this fixed under warrenty I wont shed any tears when they go under and get bought out by a foreign company. I am the original owner of a car that basically is only driven on nice days and does car shows and this is the kind of customer treatment I get.

If anyone knows of a dealership near Columbus OH that does good work and has taken care of this for you please let me know.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
The Pontiac rep asked where I found this info so I hope LS1TECH doesn't get any heat for posting a topic like this.

I am so pissed right now that I got the out of warrenty bit from the dealership, I am blowing up right now. This is the sort of thing that aids in GM's trouble and if I dont get this fixed under warrenty I wont shed any tears when they go under and get bought out by a foreign company. I am the original owner of a car that basically is only driven on nice days and does car shows and this is the kind of customer treatment I get.

If anyone knows of a dealership near Columbus OH that does good work and has taken care of this for you please let me know.
If you are the original Owner keep in mind I am to mine. I had mine fixed June of 2004 and my car was out of warranty long before then. I picked my car up in Nov 2000 and brought it in June 2004.

They still fixed the car. It's a known defect that Pontiac/GM were the ones to issue the TSB with the 'fix' due to so many complaints.

Why my Dealer did mine and my fiances cars in 2004............his is a 99 so his was way out of warranty past mine and they fixed his with 92K miles on the clock.

The TSB exists, it's not bullshit and GM should pay to fix it bottom line.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car was fixed way out of warranty as well. 30K out of warranty to be exact.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im telling you try this method and see if it works for you... Camaro owners I can possibly give you the extension of tyhe guy that helped me out.

I got my car covered after going through the process I outlines.

1. Called GM and told them of the problem. GM rep said go to dealer and let them look at it
2. Went to dealer and go it deemed defective by body shop manager
3. Called same GM rep back and he contacted my local GM service rep.
4. Took about a week to get local service Rep to authorize the repairs
5. Took about 2 weeks for new roof to come in and car is going in the body shop at end of the month
Old 07-31-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT TSB # and overlay part# behind the Ttops for the Birds

Bubbling paint behind T-tops roof panel
Just an FYI that there is a GM bulletin for Fbody's (Firebirds with T-tops) YEAR 99-2002 03-08-98-001A WITH T-TOPS

Part # 10254708
Old 08-04-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

There was an article and news story I found in Florida about Mitsubishi paint problems so I sent problem solvers all the information and links to these boards showing our problem. I'm in Maryland. Anyone in Florida willing to do a tv interview?

This should be a sticky. Admins?

Here is a link to the problem solvers article.

http://www.local6.com/problemsolvers...37/detail.html

If they don't contact me back maybe a bunch of us should do it.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dal1as
There was an article and news story I found in Florida about Mitsubishi paint problems so I sent problem solvers all the information and links to these boards showing our problem. I'm in Maryland. Anyone in Florida willing to do a tv interview?

This should be a sticky. Admins?

Here is a link to the problem solvers article.

http://www.local6.com/problemsolvers...37/detail.html

If they don't contact me back maybe a bunch of us should do it.
Very good idea, maybe if we raise enough cain GM will get off their butts and take care of their customers for a change. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The first dealership i brought it to just asked for the vin# then said "Out of Warrenty" end of story wouldn't do anything to help me. That was DANNTIN CHEV. in Thibodaux Louisiana.They acted like they had never heard of the problem.Then i went to Trapp chev. in Houma they knew about the problem asked for my vin and said they were going to order the new panel just like that they didn't even ask the mileage or even look at the roof he said it's an ongoing problem and they would take care of it i did download the service bulitin and told him i had talked to the corprate office and they told me to bring a copy of the service bulitin to the dealership and have them look at it.I am the second owner of the car and it's a 99(out of 6yr warrenty) and has 98xxx miles on it .
Old 08-12-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

I just had mine done with 60000 miles on the clock,but then again Im a GM tech!!!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Good to know someone is getting action.
i am fixing to go GM, this next week ,already have an ac# w/the 1800 pontiac #, she told me to get an accessment and get back with her,i'm just gonna be real nice to the body shop manager,get his name and assessment and call her back
I've only got 25g's on the odo, 2ND owner
Old 08-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Banned

my 2000 has roof bubbling BAD. only 48k on the clock. I'm just waiting for my 02 to start doing now... :grr:
Old 08-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Teching In

have been thinking about this problem for some time now and I have finally decided to go to a GM dealer. I was expecting a big fight but everything went very smoothly. I showed the car to the service girl along with the service bulletin and she said she would call me back. One week after, I called back myself because I had no news from them. She said : Sorry, I forgot to call you back but would September 18th be ok for you ? I couldn't believe it. Well, I think that it is because I live in Quebec, Canada and there is not a lot of Camaro down here. I also think that having a very clean car helps a lot.

Anyway, Thanks a lot to everybody from this forum for having provided very useful info on this problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Teching In

My roof has 3 bubbles. 2 of them burst ...And the last one is getting bigger .....gonna take it to the dealer see what they say

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?