Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is this sucks for you guys. GM really honestly sucks when it comes to their cars and customer care/experience. I know this firsthand with my 2000 T/A in which GM fouight me on buying it back with a motor issue. Bone stock the motor would ping all the time no matter what load was on it. Anyway, I had to go through the BBB route and GM lost. I ordered my 2001 right after and this car has been fine.

But GM sucks and I feel bad for you all. TSB's are created when GM gets enough data on complaints on customer cars. The dealer does not create the TSB, that comes directly from GM.

Imagine that they don't even want to pay to repair a known issue with materials they know have a defect.

Shame on you GM. This T/A is my LAST GM purchase I will ever make for a new car.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car back in December of 05 and it had a few bubbles then. It's a 2001 SS onyx black, anyways... At the time I had no idea it was a common problem, just thought that I had stumbled upon a lemon, and I had to have bumper repainted so I decided to just see what the body shop could do about it while the bumper was getting fixed. Anyhow, the body shop guy stripped all the paint-reprimed, painted again and the bubbles came up once again the very next day with a feirce rage. So he grinded down on the roof and discovered all the nice candy gm used to bind the roof together, after grinding as much of the candy out as he could he leveled it out primed and repainted. I don't have as bad of the bubbles, but sure enough, there are marks there where more are arising....I'm pretty sure this hurts my cause drastically that its already been worked on???

Damn Gm candy...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's been said the materials that GM used in the piece itself is the culprit. Something along the lines that the part didn't cure properly.

All I know is since my pillar was replaced now over 2 yrs ago, and repainted it's still bubble free.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

well guys ,i too have those nasty little bubbles, i just called the pontiac customer service dept 1800.222.1020, the girl gave me a file # and her #...1.866.790.5700 ex.22029 CHANETTE, she told me to take my car to a dealer get an assessment and call her back w/the info , and they would see what they could do,so this week ill take it to the dealer , be as nice as possible and just get an assessment...no stress, and call her back w/the info,either she was liying ,cuz she said there was nothing on her commputer about this , i find that hard to believe , or they just dont want a sleww of complaints....well see..ill keep the resuls posted
Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

austin tx
Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sean carpenter
well guys ,i too have those nasty little bubbles, i just called the pontiac customer service dept 1800.222.1020, the girl gave me a file # and her #...1.866.790.5700 ex.22029 CHANETTE, she told me to take my car to a dealer get an assessment and call her back w/the info , and they would see what they could do,so this week ill take it to the dealer , be as nice as possible and just get an assessment...no stress, and call her back w/the info,either she was liying ,cuz she said there was nothing on her commputer about this , i find that hard to believe , or they just dont want a sleww of complaints....well see..ill keep the resuls posted
That's nice if you dont own a 1999 model car.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sean carpenter
ASSessment.....typical call center. She took the call and got you off the call within her alloted call time.

You will go to the Dealer, they will run you around and say it's not covered, you will call her back and she will forget she talked to you.

You need to walk into the dealer with the TSB # in hand, then have the Dealer call her back or call a Zone rep to come ASSess your car.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

download of the tsb???
Old 07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...522......found the sticky ...here iy is thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i went through the same process as sean above. Called customer care, they said to get it looked at the dealer and determine if it was defective. I went to dealer didnt mention anything about me wanting it replaced by them but simply asked what the deal was if they had ever seen this before. then asked is this defective or what.. they said yes its defective and I said thanks and got their business card and went on my way. Called the GM rep i spoke to earlier and he got the ball rolling. Took about 10 days to get everything authorized but now I have a new / fresh painted roof courtesy of Chevy Customer care.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't have any bubbles before, but after I had to have one of the 1/4 panels replaced I got the car back with some small cracks in the paint of the sail panel. I'm wondering if could it replaced under the TSB.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by '00_Z
I didn't have any bubbles before, but after I had to have one of the 1/4 panels replaced I got the car back with some small cracks in the paint of the sail panel. I'm wondering if could it replaced under the TSB.
Not a chance. Your warranty was up like 3 years ago.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Not a chance. Your warranty was up like 3 years ago.
As long as I'm under 60,000 miles I can get a good-will claim I believe. I'm pretty tight with my dealers service dept, and my father in-law handles warranty claims.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Here’s an idea, it will take a little work but may be worth it to get off our butts and make an effort.

If someone who is good with words would like to start some kind of petition, like write up a MS Word or text doc, post it here in a sticky that anyone can download, print, sign and mail in to one person that will collect them all until a certain date, then use them all to file a class action suit.
If we each can get a statement from a local GM dealer that yes your roof is defective, that with maybe a photo or two from each, multiplied by however many individuals we can muster, maybe we can get GM’s attention and get them to repair our cars. What I’m thinking is we may have better luck as a group than individuals.

What do you think?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php
Old 07-26-2006, 08:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon2kZ
Here’s an idea, it will take a little work but may be worth it to get off our butts and make an effort.

If someone who is good with words would like to start some kind of petition, like write up a MS Word or text doc, post it here in a sticky that anyone can download, print, sign and mail in to one person that will collect them all until a certain date, then use them all to file a class action suit.
If we each can get a statement from a local GM dealer that yes your roof is defective, that with maybe a photo or two from each, multiplied by however many individuals we can muster, maybe we can get GM’s attention and get them to repair our cars. What I’m thinking is we may have better luck as a group than individuals.

What do you think?
I'd do that.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jon2kZ

What do you think?
Good idea. Worth a try
Old 07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Launching!

I just noticed today that mine is beginning to bubble...
Old 07-28-2006, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Mine has been getting worse as time goes on. Started with a few bubbles and now those bubbles ooze out some sort of crap. I'd do something about it with the dealer, but I don't want these hacks over here trying to replace my roof. I'll wait until it gets real nasty and just have the roof painted pewter to match the rest of the car. I know the stuff will come just come right back. But, at least its not as noticeable on pewter. Black shows every imperfection.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jurisz28
Mine has been getting worse as time goes on. Started with a few bubbles and now those bubbles ooze out some sort of crap. I'd do something about it with the dealer, but I don't want these hacks over here trying to replace my roof. I'll wait until it gets real nasty and just have the roof painted pewter to match the rest of the car. I know the stuff will come just come right back. But, at least its not as noticeable on pewter. Black shows every imperfection.
Ya, get it repainted, let us know how that works out for ya.

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?