Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00NBMCamaro
I got my car covered after going through the process I outlines.

1. Called GM and told them of the problem. GM rep said go to dealer and let them look at it
2. Went to dealer and go it deemed defective by body shop manager
3. Called same GM rep back and he contacted my local GM service rep.
4. Took about a week to get local service Rep to authorize the repairs
5. Took about 2 weeks for new roof to come in and car is going in the body shop at end of the month

When I took the car to dealer, I had the car for more than 5 years (original owner) and had 62,000 miles. Dealer was cool and said yeah that my roof was the worst they had seen and that it would only get worse as the car ages.

I wish to hell that the person at the dealership knew his *** from a hole in the ground. I'm told that the problem is not covered because the car is out of the 3/36 warranty. Well that is bullshit because if I'm not mistaken the paint/corrosion warranty far exceeds that. So I simply ask him what good is a TSB if he is not going to look into it and make the appropriate phone calls. He tells me to contact GM, who according to the post above will only tell me to contact the gd dealership, and I again ask him what good the tsb is if I have to do all the leg work to get the ball rolling. Well the response was "well I don't know" to which I responded I will find someone who has a clue and hung up on him. Oh well, guess it's on to another dealership.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint is covered for 3 years/36,000 miles. The six year warranty covers rust/corosion. This has been said dozens of times in this thread. The guy at the dealership doesn't have to fix it. Those who get it covered under the 6 year corrosion warranty are lucky. Call GM. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing the dealership needs to do is deem the roof defective. Dont have to inform them of the TSB or anything. Just ask them what is going on here on your roof. Tell them that you are talking to service rep at GM who asked that you come by and speak to someone and see if it truely was defective. If dealer says yes its defective it doesnt mean they have to fix it out of thier pocket but just means that you can continue talking to GM about getting a area rep to authorize the repairs

PS dealership messed up that trim piece on my car and ordered 2 of the wrong side to replace it. So now i have to wait for the right one to come in so they can replace it. Gotta keep my foot on them so they dont try and squirrel out of the repair.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Well the day has come...I just got my windows tinted (all around) so I had to let it "bake" in the sun as it would take forever to dry in the garage. Well that was a bad idea, as it was near 100 degrees. For the first time in it's life, at almost 78k miles, I now have the infamous bubbles...

Old 07-16-2006, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Welcome to the club. We should start a suppoort group.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

I don't seem to have bubbles but I do have oozing in several places across the top and near the bottom on each side. How does this compare to others?

Last edited by Jon2kZ; 08-09-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the oozing is the adhesive leaking out from under the top. bubbles will probally come next. Hopefully not though.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon2kZ
I don't seem to have bubbles but I do have oozing in several places across the top and near the bottom on each side. How does this compare to others?

What is that?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

That’s what I was wondering until I checked around and came across this and other threads. The flash really shows how dirty the roof is but the lines apparently show where the adhesive has come through and run towards the rear . Now that I know where to look I can see small bumps in the paint where it may be more leaks sometime in the future. My car in garaged most of the time but on hot sunny summer days it does seem to accelerate the condition.

I'm the second owner with 69k, I don't know if I'd have much luck getting it fixed by a dealer by the way they'll blow you off for any stupid reason.

Last edited by Jon2kZ; 07-17-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

How can we get a law suite going? I think it will be worth it for us.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Default My troubles

I emailed Pontiac asking them to repair my roof. (99 T/A w/70K miles). A few days later I got a call from them and they asked me several questions (Original owner? How many miles a year? Who did I buy it from? and some more useless questions). I was put on hold then she told me that they are denying my request. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and was told one would call me within 48 hours, 3 days later I got called.

The supervisor gave me a bunch of BS about how it is not a recall, that the TSB is merely a suggestion to dealers to fix roofs due to new technology. I argued with him over and over stated it is a known problem, yet GM will not fix it or stand behind their product.

So GM once again is showing me they are a company that is failing, that the days of GM pride are over. They can kiss my This is the first time in 20 years I have been driving that I have not supported or defended GM........sad day.

Brian
Old 07-19-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you people go about this DEMANDING it fixed. Simply call and complain and explain yourself. Follow the directions of the people that have had their roofs replaced and you might get further on your problem. Calling and bitching to someone and demanding to speak to supervisors is going to **** people off not make them want to help you out.

I got mine fixed by being polite and going through the process the customer service tech mentioned. maybe Chevrolets customer care is superior to Pontiac's :shrug:
Old 07-20-2006, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00NBMCamaro
you people go about this DEMANDING it fixed. Simply call and complain and explain yourself. Follow the directions of the people that have had their roofs replaced and you might get further on your problem. Calling and bitching to someone and demanding to speak to supervisors is going to **** people off not make them want to help you out.

I got mine fixed by being polite and going through the process the customer service tech mentioned. maybe Chevrolets customer care is superior to Pontiac's :shrug:
This would have worked for me but GM used my car being a 1999 as a loop hole. The rust through warranty covers you car for 100k or 6 years and my car reached the 6 year point on july 26th of last year. Had I known that this was a common and repairable problem I would have taken care of when it was still under that warranty. Where GM messed up was when I asked 3 different times if it was covered they said "no". It wasnt untill yesterday that I found out about this problem. I think the one good arguing point I'll have if this goes to court is GM's failure to disclose this information, even most of their service managers claim to have no knowledge of this TSB. The only reason I started looking for a TSB is because I just paid $11K to have my whole car repainted and the roof bubbles came back in different places, the shop called a PPG warranty rep and he took one look at the car and told me about the TSB. He also spoke about a similar problem that earlier C5's had.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Modified
I emailed Pontiac asking them to repair my roof. (99 T/A w/70K miles). A few days later I got a call from them and they asked me several questions (Original owner? How many miles a year? Who did I buy it from? and some more useless questions). I was put on hold then she told me that they are denying my request. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and was told one would call me within 48 hours, 3 days later I got called.

The supervisor gave me a bunch of BS about how it is not a recall, that the TSB is merely a suggestion to dealers to fix roofs due to new technology. I argued with him over and over stated it is a known problem, yet GM will not fix it or stand behind their product.

So GM once again is showing me they are a company that is failing, that the days of GM pride are over. They can kiss my This is the first time in 20 years I have been driving that I have not supported or defended GM........sad day.

Brian
I called the customer service # too after the dealer told me that it was not covered. No one got upset or anything, I just politely told the representative thanks and that I would now be taking legal action toward GM. But when I hung up the phone I started thinking about what all I could do before getting an attourney involved and I decided to file a Lemon Law compliaint with the BBB. This couldnt hurt right, I think it could actually do some good if enough people would jump on the wagon.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WS6HUMMER, who repainted your car? If it wasn't the dealership, then that definetly hurts your cause.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AronZ28
WS6HUMMER, who repainted your car? If it wasn't the dealership, then that definetly hurts your cause.
It was a State Farm Service First reccomended shop.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't go back and check this whole thread but my car did the same thing. Other than that and the orange peel the paint doesn't look half bad, lol.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

my black 2000s paint is clean
Old 07-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Teching In

I have bubbles all around about an inch from the edge. My SS is garaged and only driven about 500 miles a year. I keep it covered up with a car cover. I think this makes it worse since air cant circulate. I'm the second owner and have owned it for about 4 years now.....
Old 07-24-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

I did the whole Lemon Law complaint with the BBB and GM called me the next day on my cell phone. We talked for a little while and GM denied that this problem is an issue that would be covered under the " 100k 6 year rust through warranty" and that my car is past the 6 years of warranty coverage. Nevermind the fact that I tried to get it fixed 3 years ago when I bought the car. I think this is gonna tak a lot of us filing the same claim with the BBB or a class action law suite.

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?