Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
I wasn't about to leave my car at a dealer for any length of time either.

So I had them order my roof FIRST and when the roof was there (and had been painted) I then took it in for the work. I dropped it off first thing in the AM and picked it up that afternoon before close.

When I dropped it off I had the paint service manager stand right there with me while I wrote down my mileage and had her sign off on it. (she must have thought I was nuts) My car had NO more miles on it than it did when I dropped it off... It pays to cover your a$$ when dealing with these people.
thanks for the heads up. mines not too bad because its always in the garage. but for my to notice it is bad enough. theres a couple other factory paint flaws but i guess thats life. theres a couple on my magnum as well. guess you need to buy a 300K dollar car to make them look nice these days.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
I don't think that you are going to get it repaired correctly for $880.00...
I took it to two body shops and got a quote for $880 from one, $890 from the other. The estimate included the new roof panel, glue, paint, supplies, and the labor. I've heard from other people that to replace this panel on a t-top car is about $800.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Mines doing it
Old 06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Default roof bubbles

well i had got in an accident last april with no bubbles, my wife was leaving and i noticed two lines accross the top with small bubbles. the car had around 38 when the dealer had their misfits play around, socalled work on it,it now only has 45. now it is going to my body shop, the insurance company is going to pay, they know how bad the dealer was with putting a quarter panel, door,and roof panel on. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR TO LIMA AUTOMALL, LIMA OHIO, btw it did not take long for the other body shops to know how bad it was
Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

went to the dealer and they said no dice.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Bubbles are for baths and little kids
Old 06-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Anyone got a part # for that panel? Is it 2 different panels for T Top and H Top?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

if the dealer says NO is thier a corprate office or something i can call and complain about it. will that get them to do it or is it just dealer descretion?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't notice the exact bubbles you guys are mentioning but on my roof panel it is not clear it looks kind of hazy no matter how clean I get it. Is this the beginning of the bubbles can someone show a closeup up or explain it to me if I have this problem. I work right across from a cadillac dealership and ran it by the the body shop manager and he said he would do it, but I want to make sure I have the exact problem you guys are having.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Teching In

It's not a "haze" issue. It just happened to my car in a big way this weekend. It looks like rows of marshmallows under the paint in the midday Texas sun. I have a hardtop, and so it "S's" down the center of the roof panel and around the perimeter of the roof and sail panel. The paint is shiny and looks good otherwise. A couple of the blisters have burst and begun to ooze.

Take it out of the hot sun, and the "bubbles" go back down, but still noticeable in the way shallow hail dents are ... from the right angle. In the heat of the day, unmistakeable from any angle.

I've begun the talks with GM to try to get it fixed. We'll see.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wade99z
It's not a "haze" issue. It just happened to my car in a big way this weekend. It looks like rows of marshmallows under the paint in the midday Texas sun. I have a hardtop, and so it "S's" down the center of the roof panel and around the perimeter of the roof and sail panel. The paint is shiny and looks good otherwise. A couple of the blisters have burst and begun to ooze.

Take it out of the hot sun, and the "bubbles" go back down, but still noticeable in the way shallow hail dents are ... from the right angle. In the heat of the day, unmistakeable from any angle.

I've begun the talks with GM to try to get it fixed. We'll see.

who did you call? the dealer or corrporat office? if its not the dealer can i get the number? pm me if youd like. thanks. Mike
Old 06-07-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just started to witness signs of bubbling on mine, but haven't done anything yet.

2002-original owner......carport kept, so the UV rays are not the cause IMO
Our regional Pontiac rep SUX, so no point pursuing this since I have bad history w/them already. My dealer ate the cost for the reparations made upon delivery (carrier damage)

Heck, I made (2) payments before taking ownership......but Pontiac denied any responsibility, like how the hell am I to blame, but the dealership allowed me to keep the 96 Bird for another month until mine was ready. If it weren't for the dealership, I would have told Pontiac to bite me!

I said it once, and I'll say it again..........NEVER, EVER, will I purchase another Pontiac, or possibly a GM.

Last edited by Firehawk526; 06-07-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Yea, I noticed some imperfections in the panel behind the t-tops right after I bought my car last may and did my first detail on it. I stumbled across the tsb a couple of months back and will be taking the car to a dealership to see what they say about it. The car is still under warranty so I will expect there will be no problems with having this problem fixed with me having the tsb in hand. The car had 22,500 miles on it when I bought it and the bubbling is minor but I am picky about things like this.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck, keep us informed.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone get the problem fixed if they were not the original owner i've had my 99 SS hard top for over a year it had bubbles when i bought it the seller told me it was a common problem acording to the poll almost half of us have the problem but never tried to get it fixed if everyone emails gm and complains plus gets in contact with the BBB our chances will be much better work as a group like the guy who started the thread said it would be like a class action suit does anyone know a lawyer maybe gm is oblgated to fix the cars under the rust through warrenty but if we don't know our rights then they will just tell us no dice and send us on our merry way but i do seem to notice the ones who stick to it and don't take no for an answer are getting their cars fixed it's guy's like me who never went to check it out or give up the first or second time they say no that arn't getting them fixed we need to get as many people as we can and get them at the corprate level call and e mail them untill they give in 100 people calling and emailing once or twice a day can have a great effect i'm going to the dealer ship monday and if they say no i'll get the BBB on them and then on to the next dealership BBB and so on i have about 4 gm dealers in my area so it looks like all my afternoons will be busy for a while everyone else should do the same
Old 06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my opinion for what it's worth:

Everyone put in a claim to their respective insurance companies, and if enough claims are filed for this particular problem, then maybe the insurance companies can mount a class action suit. Maybe worth investigating.....any auto insurance adjusters out here?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was about 90* here today, I had the car out all day, now I have some very nice bubbles.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I notices the bubbles on my car about 2 months ago. How much will it cost to get a whole new roof? Mine oOzes when its in the sun too. I have 3 bubbles that I've noticed.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

i have the bubbling. Gonna stop by my dealership tomarrow. I also have some deep scratches form a rock. Looks like ill get it fixed as well for free if they have to repalce the roof.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

what's the cost in replacing the roof?

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?