Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Kandy color questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kandy color questions...

I'm thinking of a Red kandy for my racecar but I'm concerned about the issues involved so I figured this would be a good spot to ask questions... I know it is hard to touch up but this is on a race car that shouldn't experience a lot of scratches that normally happen.

So my questions are...

How hard is it to lay down? I talked to the guy that paints my cars today and he told me it's harder to lay down because it wants to run more (I forget how he worded it, just like it was thinner I guess).

He also said Kandy's don't last the longest... One of our buddies cars had a Kandy red and he said there are spots coming throw where you can see the basecoat now, anyone experience this?

How expensive generally are they for non-custom mix reds? I haven't got a price quote yet and I have a factory color picked out and if it's going to be like $400 more then it's not as likely that I'll go that route. I might lay a silver base down below it and this could get pricey.

Any other problems associated with going to a Kandy paint? I want the unique quality of it and I want my car to stand out but if it's going to turn into an issue cutting the fenders and what not in I may avoid it all together but I wanted to ask first because I know there are several of you on here that have experience maintaining and laying down the Kandy paints.

Last edited by Hrod382; 01-07-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
FormerVendor

candys aren't harder to spray if your an experienced painter. Its just like spraying clear. You mix the candy in a intercoat clear and then spray it on the car. I've never seen spots come through the candy unless the car was not preped correctly. The only issue with kandy is you can never match it if anything happens and you need to repaint part of the car. You can get it close, but not perfect.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Some other issues with kandys are that you need as stated an EXPERIENCED painter who has done kandys before. It is not like spraying basecoat at all. A novice can lay down base coat color very well with a minimal amount of practice. A kandy however requires precision in gun speed across the panel, in gun distance from the panel and in a constant reliable air supply. Also kandy can not be layed down panel by panel. In other words you do not lay them down like bases or clears for that matter. A kandy should be layed from the rear of the car to the front in one continous motion across all panels(quarter panel, door, fender, etc.) This is to ensure even coverage which is critical with a kandy.

Check with you local supplier or online for HOK candies, but I can tell that ANY color in the red family is going to be extremely expensive.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Ok thanks guys.

Our painter is VERY experienced. I guess the way he worded it bothered me, he just said it would "make it harder on him" which it seems you all agree with. He's shot many cars that have won best appearing and he does most of the trick paint jobs around here (he painted my '69 and my dads '70).

I looked it up, found a guy on Ebay with some killer prices, Kandy Apple Red for $50 a quart.

I'm thinking about going with Kandy Apple Red over a Meteor Maroon base. I'm not sure if I'll use a metallic base though, I have to talk to him... I don't want to take advantage of him given the fact the paint job is free and he's putting on two quarter panels for me free.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOK is very expensive when it comes to Kandys. Not only do you have to buy the Kandy, but you have to buy the activators, reducers, and it is probably going to take about 3 quarts of Kandy alone to spray a f-body. HOK will not warranty any paint defects unless every aspect of the paint job is HOK brand materials, that means the primer, the basecoat, the kandy, and the clear.

In my opinion I would look into the Dupont Hot Hues Candy concentrates. They are a good bit cheaper. They won't have quite the same depth as the HOK but it will be more affordable.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Red Kandies are the worst in terms of color durability. The sine will stay, but the UV from the sun will bleach the red pigment from the midcoat, turning the horizontal areas of the car a few shades closer to whatever metallic base you've used for the groundcoat.

If your painter does not like the idea of Kandying your car, he's probably not he one you should have do it. Plenty of good painters can never seem to get the hang of perfect material coverage, and you get stripes, dark spots at the front and back of each panel....
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

I've had my kandy apple red manta "stinger" stripes on for about 3 years, and it is flawless. Looks like a dam red jolly rancher, LOL
Old 01-10-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Whistler
Red Kandies are the worst in terms of color durability. The sine will stay, but the UV from the sun will bleach the red pigment from the midcoat, turning the horizontal areas of the car a few shades closer to whatever metallic base you've used for the groundcoat.
Thanks a lot, that's what he's talking about. Our buddy has a dragster that he put candies all over and it's a year old and the red kandy on it is starting to lose the color and a hint of silver is coming through. My entire car would be covered in it so I think I'm going to abandon the Kandy idea thanks to you all.

This sucks, the hardest part about painting isn't the body work... It's picking the color

I'm too picky, I want a red that's dark but not too dark or I'll go with electron blue or a teal but I have a car that's basically electron blue already and I'm not sold on teal.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

If you store the car indoors candy will last for years, I have repaired and matched candy without any problems, but it is more complicated than regular paint. And yes it is more expensive, but if you want to stand out this is the way to go.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto to above- if the car sits in a garage most of the time, the red tri-stage will last a while. Drive it every day and it'll fade.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I called Hok today to ask them about a kandy red I saw of theirs on a truck. They quoted me $1000 for the materials for a sliver metalic base, silver flake, red apple and the rest of the stuff that goes with it. I might use a gold base instead but the price will be the same. I think it was 6qts of kandy, 1 gallon base for my camaro
Old 01-20-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I called Hok today to ask them about a kandy red I saw of theirs on a truck. They quoted me $1000 for the materials for a sliver metalic base, silver flake, red apple and the rest of the stuff that goes with it. I might use a gold base instead but the price will be the same. I think it was 6qts of kandy, 1 gallon base for my camaro
Thanks a lot man. It should take 5 quarts to do my car, maybe 4.

Currently I'm just trying to find a stock car color or I might just go with a HOK glamour metallic (Meteor Maroon or Stratto Blue).

I still have no idea what color the car is gonna be and we're putting it in primer next weekend, nothing has wowed me yet
Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

keep searching the internet for custom car photos. There is guy on here (pro-mo I think) who did the kandy tangerine and it looks absolutely killer.
THis is what I'm going with. With either a silver or a gold base and super mini flake to match under the red
Attached Thumbnails Kandy color questions...-0.jpg   Kandy color questions...-tangerine.jpg  

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 01-20-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Launching!

yea, kandy has zero UV protection. we havent had any issues with the kandy kobalt on the b/f's cobra yet, but it stays in one of those soft canopies most of the time.

Quick Reply: Kandy color questions...