Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

wheel well lip, cut off or roll

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel well lip, cut off or roll

Hi, I need to do somthing with my rear wheel well lip for clearance for my wheels. whats the best way ? cut off about 3/4 of the lip with a cut off wheel or roll the hole lip up ? If its best to roll it, how would you do it. thanks.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

You definately would want to roll it. IF you cut the lip you will have that edge that could possible still puncure the tire. There was a guy on here that was loaning a heat gun and fender roller.

Bob s.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cut mine. Then I welded the seams and ground them smooth. But I'm painting my car so I don't have paint to mess up. Best way to roll it is with a roller. But you can do it with a baseball bat wedged in between the top of the tire and the fender well and then roll the bat around.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Definetly roll it, they are welded there and need it there to hold it together.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

I would suggest rolling it in a way that water doesent stay in the roll. They rolled the rear bumber of my el camino, and they dident prep it right, so guess what....its all rusting away now...
Old 03-10-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can only cut/remove approx. 1/4" of the lip without removing the factory spot welds and sepperating the wheel house from the outer quarter skin. I have seen some that could go about 3/8" but it depends on the car, each one is slightly different. There is nothing wrong with this if done correctly and the erea is cleaned and the proper sealer ect. applied to the bare metal. Cutting slits is a horrible idea, every one of the slits you cut is now a stress riser and will be a major rust enviter. The quarter panel is a part of the structural make up of the rear of a fourth gen. Those little demples we get in above the wheel well opening and at the corner of the hatch are there because of stress. There is a weak section of the frame where it meets the cabin erea of our cars and FRCs do nothing to help the rear of the car.
Rolling the lip is the only way to get max clearance for a huge set of wheels/tires. If done correctly taking your time and allowing the lip to roll/stretch while working back and fourth with minimal effort/force you will not cause any distorion of the outer panel. Some can be rolled flatter than others due to the spacing between the outer wheel house and the outer skin being slightly different on every car. Anytime you roll the lip flat for max clearance you going to get cracking/flaking of the paint, use a sharp edge to scribe a line to act as a breaking point just inside the wheel opening lip to keep the paint from peeling onto the outer panel.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Hey, thanks for all the replys on this. I will roll the lip or have some one roll it for me. Do they make a tool to do it right ? thanks everyone....
Old 04-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Teching In

use a baseball bat, have a few birs, if you dont like what you have done, have a few more...

Quick Reply: wheel well lip, cut off or roll