Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help! Vinyl Sticker won't come off

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! Vinyl Sticker won't come off

I have this ugly, faded hood bird and side pillar birds on my car (I would very much like to choke whoever put them on it, I just bought the car a few months ago)

This morning I got out the blow dryer, set it to its hottest position and heated it up and tried removing it but most of it will not budge.

What else can I do to get this off my car - pics of it below

Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the one on the hood. Other one looks pretty San Fran-ish though.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Depending on how steady your hand is you can use what is called a RUB OFF WHEEL. Its basically a rubber disc that mounts into a hand drill or other selectable speed device. You spin it on the decals and it takes them off without damaging your paint (Unless you hold it in the same spot to long and build up to much heat). I used them to remove every piece of molding on a 2000 silverado and god knows they have alot. If you use it just make sure you do it in a cool place with out sun light hitting it cause that will cause the panels your working on to heat up and you'll risk burning your paint easier. Just make sure you read the directions on it if you decide to try it. I have really good luck with them. There magic.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Teching In

It's a stripe remover wheel, a product made by 3m. the part # is 7498 and it comes with an arbor, you can get it at your local paint supplier.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Yeah I've heard it called that too. Several companies make it. It's basically pencil eraser made into a large disc.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

i have this sticker and label remover spray that i got at advance auto...it works great, i would try that before you do anything drastic
Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

if u get a stripe remover from 3m. make sure to get the tanish color one. DONT get the red or blue they are junk and wear out a heck of a lot faster then the tan one. and use the drill on low speed not high. hope this helps if u go this route.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

When I used to work at a print shop i had to remove lettering off the side of a van. It was a white work van and the lettering had been on there for 6 or 7 years, it was hell to get off. Used a heat gun and a plastic palm sized "chisel" (guess thats what it was called, been a while since i worked there) to peel it all off. Then used some 3M remover and got what was left of the glue off. Problem was the paint was faded on the van and under the letters were not. Although it didnt look like it with the vinyl on, the paint was ever so slightly faded and even after a wax you could still notice the outline. Hope thats not your case and GL.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I had that same hood bird on my white WS6 and I got it off with spray called goo be gone and I simply got the edge of the wing to start peeling off and I worked with that and slowly the whole thing peeled off. There was discoloration on my hood and the bird was on there for 2 years, but I bought this product from walmart called SG 27 in the automotive section and it restored the paint like new! Good luck to ya!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I will be giving it another shot tomorrow with some goo gone and a super thin plastic card. I'm very nervous about having paint discoloration afterwards. And this looks to have been on there longer than two years But I very much dislike that bird and will be happier even with a slightly discolored hood.

I will post up after pics after I get it off.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

As promised the pics of the hood and pillar birds have been removed....

They had been on for years obviously as you can see how bad the fade is on the stickers. I sprayed ammonia on the stickers and covered it with plastic wrap.

I let it set for about 15 minutes pulled the wrap back and used a plastic putty knife and plastic ice scraper to get it off.

Then I used goo gone and a soapy water/clay bar to remove the rest of the glue.

Quick Reply: Help! Vinyl Sticker won't come off