Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

spary on treatment that prevents rust for underbody

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default spary on treatment that prevents rust for underbody

on one of my Saturday car shows I saw some Canadains sparying a solution under the car on all metal parts to prevent rust I'm thinking the Canadians ride on rock salt much more than Americans I think it's called Krown?

I maybe relocating to Chicago and am concerned about rock salt on the roads to desolve the ice during the winter.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you have experience in areas that get snow during the winters, but I wouldn't plan on using the car listed in your signature on snowy roads.

Bone stock LS1 cars are pure crap on snow and yours seems a bit more powerful then stock
Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

if theres one thing i learned... its dont go out in snow.... camaro + snow=screwed.... im looking into getting a nice cheap little hooptie to beat around in for the winter.. think hats the smartest move
Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Teching In

i only have a 3.4 but my camaro handled fine in the winter once i put some Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on. The only time i had problems driving, was when we had 12 inches of snow
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Default Waxoyl

Hi,

I have just had my Camaro SS treated with Waxoyl. This stuff is good, designed in Switzerland and is used on cars as well as in the marine industry to keep oil rigs and ships rust free. It's only been on a couple of weeks, so I can't comment on it over the long term, but there are plenty who swear by it... and probably plenty who would recommend another product!

You are correct in that Krown is another rust control product. There are quite a few more... I think they are all probably just about as good as each other. It all depends on what you can get in the local area.

Any rustproofing coating is better than no coating at all in my opinion!

Regards,
UK CamaroSS
Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default rust

thanks guy's for advice.

I'm currently considering a 02 or newer subaru Legacy WRX all wheel drive as a winter time beater.

I'm thinking these cars preform better on the icy & snowie roads this maybe the wronge forum broad for any responses.

I just don't see myself driving a truck.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

i've heard about a product called POR-15?? i think was the name it's supposed to be some kind of protectant
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Launching!

I'm currently using a can of Duplicolor primer that turns steel black (to seal rust). It neutralizes the rust and is a paintable primer. I'm using temporarily for some bodywork. I would recommend it for light duty temporary use. Remember that a chip or a scratch is all it needs to rust. Something that's a protectant is needed.

I once heard of something called Lizardskin. It's a sound absorber you can paint around the car (inside and out), but I don't know if it seals rust.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

haha... I ran all over in ice and snow in KCMO with UHP Summer tires on... it's just a matter of knowing how to drive in the crap, and not having any other option... lol. As for the salt... if nothing else, make sure you spray the crap outta the undercarriage when it dries up... a few times.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Rust is us here in the land of calcium chloride and road salt; every effort to stop rust is after the fact that it has already begun. I think the question is for a rust preventative but in the face of terminal rusting I have found the following to work for me.

I know of the duplicolor rust reformer primer and have a few cans. For me, it doesn't work very well. It seems to turn part of the rust black but not all of it. For instance, the bottom of the core support seems to rust unreasonably on both my cars. I wire brush, use the reformer and paint. A few months later I can see the rust blossoming through again where the primer was supposed to have worked but didn't. My cars don't even see the rain. I use a product called Chassis Saver which is like POR-15 and Rust Bullet. It's a great PITA to apply, store and get off your skin but nothing else seals a surface like it. It's time consuming to prep a rusty surface making for a dirty job but it requires no primer and it creeps into the rotting steel to bond so hard that it takes a grinder to remove it. IMO using a paint like described on a surface that hasn't rusted would preserve it indefinitely.

Quick Reply: spary on treatment that prevents rust for underbody