Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Whole car repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whole car repaint?

Looking for the best shop in the northeast. I am extremely meticulous so it has to be the best. Also, I am sure this is a question that has been hit 100 times, what kind of cost to repaint (a diff color) could be expected? Just figured it was just as easy to toss it in with my question. Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

ur going to see a range between 1500-15000. To be quite honest, if u reallly are meticulous its not going to be cheap, but as it has been discussed, it depends on the area. Im my area in california, for a pretty nice job with minimal blemishes it was about 5k$ in paint and labor.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Banned

mine was 7000 cdn and then a extra 1200 to cut and polish
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ironexecutioner
Looking for the best shop in the northeast. I am extremely meticulous so it has to be the best.

If it has to be the best you're probably looking at 10-15K
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

for my car its goign to cost me about 4000(2000 for paint supplies only and 2000 for body supplies) for all the paint, reducers, hardners, primer, sealers, bare metal primers, flex(for plastic parts), adhesion promtor, bondo and hardner , sandpaper, plastic bondo, tape, masking paper, plastic and theres a list that goes on and on. realistically my shop has a really good name around here and we dont do half @$$ work and we charge for a camaro(mines a 1994) about 10 grand(includes materials and labor. also some things to think about is if your doing all the jams, your engine bay, and anything else. my cars getting a full paint job, body, cowl hood, ss spoiler, cme valance, all jams, engine bay, and undercoating the underneath. if you have any questions send me a pm.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you painting the outside or the entire car, jams and all. Also im sorry but you guys are paying way too much for a paint job, you shouldnt pay more than 5k for an entire car paint, to get the outside repainted id say between 1500-2k should be about right. I had a very reputable shop in Pasadena quote me 2300 to do a repaint w/ghost flames and fix my quarterpanel on my 02 t/a that i traded in.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transambandit
are you painting the outside or the entire car, jams and all. Also im sorry but you guys are paying way too much for a paint job, you shouldnt pay more than 5k for an entire car paint, to get the outside repainted id say between 1500-2k should be about right. I had a very reputable shop in Pasadena quote me 2300 to do a repaint w/ghost flames and fix my quarterpanel on my 02 t/a that i traded in.
that doesnt make sense, good quality dupont or ppg paint and materials would cost near there.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

yeah im using entirely standox materials. now also realize here that im putting 1 coat of sealer, 3 coats if base, and 4 coats of clear because im going to put the 30 anniversary stripes but in red pearl and the grand sport striped in red pearl so they wont be seen unless at the correct angle. pretty much like ghost flames. also im going to undercoat the entire underbody of my car. just the paint materials(no undercoating) will run me like 2 grand and thats pretty much just what i need. now you have to add labor and all of that in there. you would probablly get away with 5 grand just doing the outside of the car. and if u wanna color change your going to be paying more. just a reshoot of the same color tends to not cost as much.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

damn i was figuring 5-6k for a color change, and like 2k for a good repaint of same color. you guys are enlightening me immensely!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

color change wont happen to meticulous standards for 5k. meticulous=motor out,doors off,hatch off,fenders off, all that ****
Old 08-01-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

For what you want you're talking at least 10K.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultraz
that doesnt make sense, good quality dupont or ppg paint and materials would cost near there.

Not really because most places have it in bulk and so it doesnt cost a lot for them to use their materials, if it is a special order paint then yes it will cost more for them to get it but most shops have a ready supply of paint and clear.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

yeah most places do have it in bulk. i do not reccommend dupont. ppg and standox are both good companies. my shop has a full line of standox paint. my 1994 will be done in november. basically a full repaint - front and rear bumper covers, fenders, doors, quarters, jams, engine bay,rockers, mirrors, hatch, cowl hood, ss spoiler,door handles, t bar and sail panels. then im doing some extras like clearing the engine bay, using satin black to paint the underside of the car, painting my block, intake, and trans to match the car, satin black for the berger panel outback. hell i even have a cme im going to paint. this is using standox medium quasar blue metallic for the entire car, black base coat for the t bar, around headlights on bumper cover, mirrors, door handles, undercoating the rear wheel wells, using satin black for the berger and under the car and to top it off 30th ann. stripes and grand sport stripes with a ghost effect(pearl red). materials alone are going to cost me 2000 to 3000 and thats just in paint materials(no body work or anything) im also doing all of this myself since i work in a body shop lol so i only pay for materials
Old 08-02-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sercastiK
color change wont happen to meticulous standards for 5k. meticulous=motor out,doors off,hatch off,fenders off, all that ****
That's for sure. The only way you could get away without changing color on the engine bay is if the car is black, you could leave the bay black. But a Sunset Orange Metallic car with a red, NBM, or green engine bay?

And some paints can go over $500/gallon (the metallic oranges especially). Heck, Diamont base in GM black is $75/qt for me (just an over the counter purchase). I'm sure that body shops buy it for less though.

Quick Reply: Whole car repaint?