Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to strip and paint rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to strip and paint rims?

I just bought a set of painted C6 rims. They have no curb rash but the paint got chipped around the edge on 2 of them when they took off the tires.

So, if I was lazy I could just paint over them and no one would ever notice, but sometimes I can be **** and so I was trying to figure out how to best strip them down to bare metal and then paint or powdercoat them Black which ever is more financially economical.

I figured acetone to take off the paint would take forever and there has to be a better way any ideas/help?

As for finishing them I have an oven at my disposal if need be for powder coating, but I was thinking a rattlecan paint with a clearcoat would be cheaper and come out looking nice. What do you think?

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

dont waist your time painting it. i painted a set of rims and they chip like crazy. so i stripped the paint and powdercoated them and they look awesome now. also if you paint them you cant use a brush to clean your wheels. you best way to strip the wheels is to media blast them(unless they are magnesium)
Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Launching!

strip them and have them powder coated, its a much stronger finish and will last longer
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

3/0 for strip and powder coat! think smart not cheap... cheaper way usually cost more money... becuase u will end up doing both wayd
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

how much does powder coating 4 rims cost?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

you can strip them really fast with Jasco.. wear rubber gloves like ones that go to your elbows lmao. used to use it all the time at the chrome shop you can get it at any hardware store

http://www.jasco-help.com/products/o...7/index.html-- this will work if you decide to paint yourself
Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
FormerVendor

Well guys I had decided to go with powdercoating a while back. but here is the kicker.

The quotes I had got were like $100 per rim to powdercoat.

So why not do it myself? Hmmmm Well Sears sells a POS, so I look at professional grade and got myself a solid powdercoat gun on sale great. Turns out my buddys oven is gas. Ok no problem, I score an electric oven FREE but it came from a bachelor apartment and is small. 1" too small to fit the rim!!!. My buddy has space and an air compressor but no 220V, My work has 220V but no air compressor. and now I need a bigger oven! Ahhhhh I can't win just yet.

Oh and I was of the impression that with powdercoating I would not need to strip the rim first, let me guess still need to strip the rim?

Well the adventure is turning into a headache, but I still have some time before the tires arrive.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of getting my ZR1's powdercoated and got quoted the same, $100 to powdercoat each rim. Then they wanted an extra $75 for each rim if I didn't want the lip powdercoated.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

Well the powdercoating gun (by mfg. Chicago) was on sale for $50 and 2 bottles of powder were like $5 or 6 so the air compressor would be paid for and a cheap oven and I would still save money plus have the ability to powder coat other stuff thereafter.

Just a matter of overcoming the obstacles.

Quick Reply: How to strip and paint rims?