Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anybody Build a custom hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Awkward looking.
I beg to differ. You sir are Awkward looking.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
I beg to differ. You sir are Awkward looking.
Did you or did you not ask for Comments?

What if we take the E-1 and smooth over the sides and Then reshape the center Vents? My painting is crude, but I think the finished result would look great.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This I like a LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not mine, but a friend of mine molded a Mecham Ultra-Z Style 98-02 Camaro hood with 4-Port Extractors to his stock hood. Not my style, but you have to give him credit for the creativity.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Build a custom hood?-dscf3480small.jpg  
Old 03-15-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ed's-byrd
Not mine, but a friend of mine molded a Mecham Ultra-Z Style 98-02 Camaro hood with 4-Port Extractors to his stock hood. Not my style, but you have to give him credit for the creativity.
That is pretty neat. Is he going to leave the center white or paint the hood a solid color? Do you have any pics from other angles?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Teching In

No, the paint is finished. He has a black/silver two-tone paint scheme. This is the only other angle I have.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Build a custom hood?-hood.jpg  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you or did you not ask for Comments?
Just joking, didn't mean to hurt your feeling!

I've got a photoshop around somewhere that phantomzer0 did for me that i think you guys might like. I'll be back...
Old 03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

A VERY crude chop, but you get the idea. This is more of the streamlined look I'm going for. Very small side marker lights can be added later.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Build a custom hood?-picture420c.jpg  
Old 03-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Banned

sorryb but 1/2 the point of the E1 is the reshaped side areas i think to smooth it out it may be easier to use a stock clip smooth it then cut out the centers. it would def save u $4-500.

u r talented and creative btw
Old 03-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

does anyone know the difficulty/longevity or process of bonding fiberglass to metal?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by toslo5o
sorryb but 1/2 the point of the E1 is the reshaped side areas i think to smooth it out it may be easier to use a stock clip smooth it then cut out the centers. it would def save u $4-500.

u r talented and creative btw
I only see the E-1 as fiberglass base on which to make something completely custom. I really don't think anything can be done with the stock clip since it is made of urethane. I can probably sell my stock clip. I already plan to sell my Raptor hood and go back to the lower, sleeker stock one. So the money side of things doesn't bother me. I just have to figure out the look and design I want.

I don't know about the fiberglass to metal bond. Sorry.

What does the grill shape of my last picture look like? I swear it reminds me of something, maybe a Ferrari model? Anyone recognize it?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How in the world did this thread make it to 5 pages without me whoring out my car. . . I'm e-slacking. factory modified ws6 hood and bumper.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it just me or does this remind you an awful lot of an RX-8

Sorry guys just not my cup a tea
Old 03-16-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6

Is it just me or does this remind you an awful lot of an RX-8
Sorta. I still think that a ss scoop on this hood could look real interesting. I would "shop" a pic together but my confuser is acting up. JasonWW will probably jump all over this...
Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What does the grill shape of my last picture look like? I swear it reminds me of something, maybe a Ferrari model? Anyone recognize it?

Kinda like a Ferrari Modena.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
Sorta. I still think that a ss scoop on this hood could look real interesting. I would "shop" a pic together but my confuser is acting up. JasonWW will probably jump all over this...
I agree that some sort of a hood would be better but without one all i think is RX8

JMHO im just a fan of the regular ws6 hoods. Nice aggressive looking and with the "nostrils" fill in it looks a little bland for my taste
Old 03-16-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bland is what I'm going for. Leave the boy racer stuff to the kids with their mustangs. I don't want scoops, stripes or doodads tacked onto my car. I don't even know what an RX 8 looks like. I assume you're talking about the 2008 model. I did that closed nose picture several years ago. How can anyone say it looks like an RX 8 when it is a stock Trans Am?

For my own personal car, I'm going for a European exotic car look that a high end executive might drive. Not too flashy, but streamlined for use on the autobahn and still have a lot of luxury. Something like this:

I think to maintain the overall low look of the car, anything on the hood should be recessed and not stick up. I'm looking at heat extractors or a recessed scoop. I won't even consider an SS scoop. I want to maintain that low nose. The Ram Air hoods lift the nose and make the car more boxy looking. This is just me and my personal direction.

The Ferrari Modena is not even close.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a slightly nicer version.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Bland is what I'm going for. Leave the boy racer stuff to the kids with their mustangs. I don't want scoops, stripes or doodads tacked onto my car. I don't even know what an RX 8 looks like. I assume you're talking about the 2008 model. I did that closed nose picture several years ago. How can anyone say it looks like an RX 8 when it is a stock Trans Am?

I think to maintain the overall low look of the car, anything on the hood should be recessed and not stick up. I'm looking at heat extractors or a recessed scoop. I won't even consider an SS scoop. I want to maintain that low nose. The Ram Air hoods lift the nose and make the car more boxy looking. This is just me and my personal direction.
Not tryin to burst your bubble but the rx8 has been the same general body style for at least the last 4 years. Im not sayin that you were tryin to copy a Rx8 look...What I am sayin is that it reminds me of an RX8 with the nostrils filled in. Also like I said its JMHO.

Heres why:

the headlights have the same sorta shape and with them filled in it has the same look and just flows up the hood the same IMO.

Not tryin to get your panties in a bunch just pointing out that it has some similarities even though thats not the look you were goin for and that it doesnt fit my taste.

However I do like the last pic you posts with it dropped.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That black TA with the Photoshopped smooth nose (awesome work BTW) looks nice, but so much like a Mitsubishi 300GT (excellent car, the wife had one), but a bit tame for my taste. I am always up for people getting creative though. I wish I could afford to own and garage several F-bodies, but I have to do everything I like to just one car.

Re bonding Fiberglass to metal, I have gotten good bonding with some work I did under my hood, but the fiberglass has broken were it was unsupported when pressure was put on it. In my case it was where the hood was closed pushing downward on the scoop. When I laid the glass, I roughed-up the metal and used Bondo Resin with woven mat fiberglass sheets. It handled well. When it dried (very quickly) I put another layer of resin and sanded. I finished with a glaze and sanded smooth, heavy primered, wet sanded and painted.

Quick Reply: Anybody Build a custom hood?