Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anybody Build a custom hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
Not tryin to burst your bubble but the rx8 has been the same general body style for at least the last 4 years. Im not sayin that you were tryin to copy a Rx8 look...What I am sayin is that it reminds me of an RX8 with the nostrils filled in.
Oh, wow! I can't tell them apart.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Oh, wow! I can't tell them apart.

Obviously you missed my point

But it is very good photoshop
I need a lot more practice before I can get one to look half that good
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Tell me what your point is.

If we're just taking body parts and saying what other car has a similar part we could go on forever. No one needs to list all the other cars that look close to my closed nose PS because, as a whole, the look is unique.

P.S. Why would you think that might burst my bubble? I don't have any bubble. I'm just trying to make a nice looking car.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Re bonding Fiberglass to metal, I have gotten good bonding with some work I did under my hood, but the fiberglass has broken were it was unsupported when pressure was put on it. In my case it was where the hood was closed pushing downward on the scoop. When I laid the glass, I roughed-up the metal and used Bondo Resin with woven mat fiberglass sheets. It handled well. When it dried (very quickly) I put another layer of resin and sanded. I finished with a glaze and sanded smooth, heavy primered, wet sanded and painted.
I'm not sure what part of the hood you fiberglassed. Was it around the hole?
Did you happen to take any pics of the process?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell me what your point is.

If we're just taking body parts and saying what other car has a similar part we could go on forever. No one needs to list all the other cars that look close to my closed nose PS because, as a whole, the look is unique.

P.S. Why would you think that might burst my bubble? I don't have any bubble. I'm just trying to make a nice looking car.
My point was that in MY opinion with the nostrils filled in it just was the first thing that came to mind...thats all. Not sayin it didnt look bad but just not geared for my taste which is fine as it isnt my car. I figured I would state it to see if anybody else thought that as well. Not sayin that the look isnt unique as it is. And yes we could go on forever about stuff looking the same ie. older RX-7s and C5 corvette fronts...and blah blah blah.

Sorry then forget about said bubble

Yes I can absolutely agree about making a nice looking car. I really like that side shot with it lowered and how the wheels and wheel wells have the same gap all the way around. I saw a WS6 lowered today and the gap was only smaller on the top. Not sayin it didnt look nice but IMO that pic you did looks 10 times better. I would love to try and accomplish that look on my car but the roads around here suck and everything would get scrapped to crap.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm working on a bunch of new variations which should be ready in the morning. I'm also closing the gaps around the hood and making the headlights solid like stock. I'm not a big fan of the Breathless units. I'm not going to fill in the sides completely either. I really like that horizontal popped out crease "what's it called?" in between the 2 vent holes. Even if I fill in the 2 holes on each side, I would still leave that body line. That's nice.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a mildly converted front. Grill material in the 4 side holes and solid light covers. That's not bad.

The more I look at this one, the more I like it. I may stop here. We definitely need to get Christian to make the E-2 front End with this new grill shape. It looks so much better than the square holes.

Maybe that shape is from a BMW?

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-17-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what part of the hood you fiberglassed. Was it around the hole?
Did you happen to take any pics of the process?
I have some pics of the work I did around the hole, but I was primarily talking about the smoothing around the cut supports. I'll email you some pics.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=richieg;8934097]How in the world did this thread make it to 5 pages without me whoring out my car. . . I'm e-slacking. factory modified ws6 hood and bumper.

WOW... i really like that... reminds me of the raptor.. nice
Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
I have some pics of the work I did around the hole, but I was primarily talking about the smoothing around the cut supports. I'll email you some pics.
So all that work was to just build up the edge of the metal hole? How thick did you make it? Did you use fiberglass matting as well?

What do you guys thank of the last pic I did? I'm digging it.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

"So all that work was to just build up the edge of the metal hole?"
No, I had that built up before, but I wanted to fill the gaping holes where I cut the supports away, and smooth the overall look of the modification.

"How thick did you make it?
About 1/4" after sanding. Problem came when I closed the hood. The upward pressure from the scoop's gasket cracked the fiberglass almost all the way around.

Did you use fiberglass matting as well?
Yes, I used the woven matting. It was decent to deal with.

What do you guys thank of the last pic I did? I'm digging it.
I like your work filling in the top center of the clip on DropTA's old car. I did not like eliminating the lower side scoops for both looks and brake cooling. Your fill-in skills are excellent, I would not have guessed it was a chop if I wasn't familiar with the car.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm talking about the last picture. I brought back the 4 holes on the sides and filled them with mesh.
Even with them filled in solid you could still have brake cooling by running the tubing up to the main grills.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Yes, I'm getting side tracked into custom front ends, but hey, it's still close to topic.

Check this out:

It's based on the old Morgan Motorsports SD 421 Trans Am.

Now that looks bad ***, especially in black. It might look better if the grills were painted black and it had the stock smooth hood on it. I'm starting to think the flat hoods not bad at all, the car just needs a nicer looking front bumper.

It seems to me that the hardest part of a custom front end is getting a fiberglass mold that will bolt up and fir properly. Once you have that you can go wild as far as the shapes and design go.

I need details on this. Where did you find it?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Glare on my screen didn't let me see the screens, they are fine. I am thinking of putting my hexagonal pieces in the side ports and see how they look, but I'll likely leave them open. I like the more aggressive side ports on the Evolution clip. I am working this weekend on designing a way to attach the hex material to the large ports.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slim0035
I need details on this. Where did you find it?
You can find out more by Googling Morgan Motorsports. They apparently had the bodywork done by a company called GNdesign. As far as I know, the front ends use were never sold separately, unless a car was being parted out.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE that smoothed front end. If thats how they were from the factory....I might just be driving one of those instead of building my second 3rd gen. Reason...? To me...it looks like it pulls more stlying cues from the 3rd gen trans ams. Which in my opinion have some of the sexiest lines ever. Im somewhat partial though...

With the vents in the hood, and the smoothed front...it looks like an updated version of the 3rd gen. Just gives it a more refined look. I like the 98-02 cars, but was never really 100% satisfied with the front ends. Jason's smooth version however...completely does it for me.

If you used a stock bumper, made a form, modified the form to be nice and smooth like you have it, and then started making a few, I bet you could sell those suckers off at a premium. I know Ide buy one if I had a non-ram air 4th gen.

J.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Hm... I wonder what an LT1 ram air based hood would look like on our LS1 cars. Can't imagine it would look horrible.. but I think thats the idea of the Superhawk hood.... damn lol.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by richieg

This is actually really nice. Simply put a more defined and raised Raptor hood.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1 Life
This is actually really nice. Simply put a more defined and raised Raptor hood.
I never liked this hood. The execution of removing the center divider is good, but it still looks like a stock hood to me. Stock looking is what I don't want. The filled in plate looks nice.

Richieg, did you ever talk about your hoods construction?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm trying to make the shark gill looking hood vents and I need some ideas on forming the metal. Starting on post 117.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=346290&page=6

Quick Reply: Anybody Build a custom hood?