Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anybody Build a custom hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody Build a custom hood?

Has anybody made their own custom hood? I would like to see pics if possible. I have some ideas to modify my current hood. with fiberglass, just to have something one off.

any ideas, concerns or feedback?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

+1

I always wanted like rinos horn or somthing. Just somthing different and no too ghey.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

? rhino horns ?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

lol, maybe like devil horns or somthing. Cause my car is grey/silver. Maybe I should rethink my statement?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well i was thinkin like the WS6 hood. except make it more like the 70's twin scoop in the way that it sticks out farther up and out.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Man I hope your really good with body work b/c this sounds like one of those jobs thats either gonna turn out really good or really bad depending on your experience lol. Not saying ya dont know what your doing I mean for all I know you could be an expert just saying your braver than me b/c i wouldnt try it lol
Old 11-17-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Well, Ive done a substantial amount of body work already, painted alot. and messed with fiberglass for entertainment. Im pretty confident that I would eventually get what i want... (being a winter project)

But i do know what your saying, seeing ppl make sheetmetal ones and 3m tape/rivet them on. but I just want somethin custom.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can pick up a non-ram air hood for almost nothing-just buy one and start screwing around with it
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

i am making a custom hood for my t/a, its alot of work, there are a few ways to go about it, you can mock something up on a non ram air (as evilzo6 mentioned) and use that to make a mold or you can start from scratch (which would be the hardest way to do what you want to do) anyhow there is alot to think about when making a one off hood, especially if you want it completely made from fg. good luck with your project.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

do you have any pics. thats what was planning on doing is using a non Ram-air hood for kindof a mold. I have actually done some research in the metal support frame. mostly for struckture and for the hood latch.

wouldnt mind seein some pics if anybody has some interesting ones.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

sorry, i wont have pics of mine for a couple months, i'm starting from scratch so its a long process, (little free time 'cause i'm in college) anyhow ill post something on winter break.

anyhow you can get good supplies from uscomposites and fiberglast. for making a ram air style hood you can follow some of the fiberglass sub box tutorials that you can find everywhere just apply the techniques to the hood, you could make a wooden frame for how you want the added area to look then stretch fleece over it to make your rough shape, add resin and woven fiberglass (fiberglass mat can get pretty messy!!) after you have a few layers of fiberglass on there you can make a resin/body filler cocktail (1 part resin and up to 5 parts body filler) using proper amounts of hardener for each, you can then brush this onto areas where you creation meats the hood or where you need to smooth things out. after all of that you sand it to perfection, clean your plug and use this to make a mold for the top part of your hood.

i would type more but i have to run to class, i hope this helps some (sorry again for not having pictures)
Old 11-26-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

yeah... well.. im in the design process at the moment... trying to sketch out what i really want..
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

I am also thinking about customizing my stock ls1 ta hood. The paint on the hood is shot anyways. I was thinking about going for a raised firehawk stle hood. Im fairly good with bondo and glass as well. Chromplated if you wouls like to go back and forth with pm's just shoot me a pm and we can chat idea's.
Nic
Old 12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My custom hood!

I used the stock hood and fiberglassed an aftermarket L88 scoop. I cut out the original hood only above the intake so it wouldn't weaken the structure of the hood. It was a LOT of work but I think it was worth it. I get complements on it all the time. Now there is one available in ebay that is the same style, but the lines don't flow as nicely I think.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Build a custom hood?-prepaint.jpg   Anybody Build a custom hood?-freshpaint1.jpg   Anybody Build a custom hood?-freshback.jpg   Anybody Build a custom hood?-freshside.jpg  
Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by McNord
I used the stock hood and fiberglassed an aftermarket L88 scoop. I cut out the original hood only above the intake so it wouldn't weaken the structure of the hood. It was a LOT of work but I think it was worth it. I get complements on it all the time. Now there is one available in ebay that is the same style, but the lines don't flow as nicely I think.
hey bro, good job.alot of work went into that!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

Originally Posted by McNord
The work that went into this piece is astronomical. I am sure. Hopefully, it will last you a long time and isn't too wavy. I really love it! It really looks good.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

WOW... thats pretty sweet. saved the last pic for my screensaver..lol...
Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I helped my buddy build a custom hood for his Camaro. It was a lot of work and it did not last. Even though it was riveted together. The fiberglass started falling apart because of all the road vibrations.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spare

Pick up a spare hood from someone who upgraded to a WS7. I paid $100 for mine, but I've seen them for $50. I overpaid, but it was local, and the guy who sold it helped me swap it and gave me a radiator sensor, so I was very happy with my deal. Play with the spare hood and perfect your design and procedure, if you like the result, install it, if not, buy another, but keep your OEM in reserve in case you change your mind down the road. I modded mine and I would never think of going back to stock, mine looks right to me.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

you've put the shaker hood on that.. Ive got one that i saved from another project.... and ive photshopped it different ways and paint... got any more pics?

Quick Reply: Anybody Build a custom hood?