Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anybody Build a custom hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
It's not my cup of tea style wise, but it's damn nice work. The proportions and overall flow are very nice. I especially like the last pic. Have you painted it yet? Bet it's going to look sweet.

Hey Raleigh TA, I see you finished your shaker. You need to take some pics, I can't find any here.

I put my Raptor hood on a month or so ago and I just don't care for it. I think I'm going to get a used front bumper cover and fill in the nose to smooth it out like this:

It's still a little plain, so I was wanting to add either a shaker or a molded in shaker looking hump just to make it a bit more racy looking. I want more of a streamlined look and the Raptor just doesn't give me that. With the new front bumper cover I also want to smooth a few things out and add a spoiler. Something custom and smooth like a Bonneville racer. Like it can do 200mph, you know? I'll be converting it to a front breather so it will have some cool air inlets and maybe some thin rectangular fog lights. Heat extractors along the sides of the hood are another possibility

Here's my old hood thread if anyone want's to see some different ideas.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/346290-custom-hood-mods.html

Add a mecham hood without the scoops, you get what im saying?

And if you wanted a little cowel, do it kinda like the harwood hood with the vents....
Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
Add a mecham hood without the scoops, you get what im saying?

And if you wanted a little cowel, do it kinda like the harwood hood with the vents....
I don't know what you mean. The Mecham has the 2 nostril scoops and then 4 heat extractors in the middle of the hood. So what do you mean exactly?

I don't know what the harwood hood looks like. Do you have any pics or a link?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

click to enlarge

Old 12-31-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm familiar with the older and newer styles of Mecham hoods, but they don't really have any scoops. There are the 4 heat extractors on top and the air inlets in the nose. I just don't know what type of hood he's describing.

As far as the Harwood cowl, I don't like it. It's too wide and the flat top just doesn't go with the rounded stock hood.

Now in my hood thread I did a raised, rounded hood. It was the same basic shape just bulged up higher. I also tweaked the nose, but just ignore that part.

I think I would just need to cut the stock hood 2/3rd's the way down the middle starting at the cowl and add a pie shaped wedge of steel so the back will raise up higher. My only concern is it may be too subtle.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I also considered some heat extractors in the middle of the hood, but not like the Mechams which I don't like.

Now I also did a smoothed nose with some heat extractors on the sides.

I like this look as well.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder how this type of long cowl would look on the TA hood?

Frankly, I like the whole front of this car. I'd love to have my TA front look like that.

I think a smooth hood combined with this front end and a filled in nose would look great. Since the front bumper cover is all fiberglass it would be easy to fill in the nose. Then you could fiberglass a shaker hood scoop to the steel hood. This way there would be no difficult to work with polyurethane materials to melt or bond, etc...

Once I do a photoshop, I'll post it up for you guys.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-31-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just noticed that the new front end doesn't have side markers. That's great for me as I wanted to fill them in anyway. Might be a problem as far as the law is concerned, though.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

What do you guys think is better? Spending $400 on the front end or the same or more for a hood a lot of folks already have?

BTW, here are some more pics on other colors.

The above pics came from Raleigh TA.

http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Featur...y/Featured.htm
http://trtturbo.com/BODYKITS.html

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-31-2007 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, I'm getting side tracked into custom front ends, but hey, it's still close to topic.

Check this out:

It's based on the old Morgan Motorsports SD 421 Trans Am.

Now that looks bad ***, especially in black. It might look better if the grills were painted black and it had the stock smooth hood on it. I'm starting to think the flat hoods not bad at all, the car just needs a nicer looking front bumper.

It seems to me that the hardest part of a custom front end is getting a fiberglass mold that will bolt up and fir properly. Once you have that you can go wild as far as the shapes and design go.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

With popup lights.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

That Firebird Evolution front reminds me of the Solstice front end. Not that it's a bad thing. Maybe the Solstice style of grill would look good in the E-1 air holes?

http://bp3.blogger.com/_8IOmYMMU1TQ/...olstice-v8.jpg

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-02-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

I could take The E-1 front, fill in the nose, use the stock hood, add a shaker scoop and then work the fiberglass for some smaller openings and smooth the sides and add a round fog light and voila!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Raleigh TA, I see you finished your shaker. You need to take some pics, I can't find any here. [/url]
Ask and ye shall receive.

I am also about to get the Firebird Evolution E-1 front clip. I'd really like to get that clip PS onto my car so I can make a final evaluation. If someone can do that, I'd be very grateful, as my PS talent is slim.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^Nice! I would like to see the opening on the rear of the scoop
Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
^^Nice! I would like to see the opening on the rear of the scoop
OK, I opened it up, I like seeing it. If I get to the point where I modify it to be functional, I'll put the opening door in. Right now I am satisfied with intake from my Fast Toys Ram Air.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you realize the pic you posted up is of a bumper that did not fit on the front of the car at all..... (its too wide) if you are advertising this product i wouldnt use this picture.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

The pic above may have been shot during install. There are several others showing a nice fit. I don't think anyone here is advertising for the maker or dealer, we are just interested and looking to share info.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
do you realize the pic you posted up is of a bumper that did not fit on the front of the car at all..... (its too wide) if you are advertising this product i wouldnt use this picture.
Your mistaken about this. It's simply not bolted on. The owner just propped it up to take a pic, that's all. It's not even painted, he just pulled it out of the box and stuck it on to take a pic. If you want to see the actual fit you need to look at the finished pictures I also posted.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Ask and ye shall receive.

I am also about to get the Firebird Evolution E-1 front clip. I'd really like to get that clip PS onto my car so I can make a final evaluation. If someone can do that, I'd be very grateful, as my PS talent is slim.
Man, that does look good. What did you finally come up with to make the cut more finished? I know we tossed around a few ideas like rolling the edge lip or building up some fiberglass and then sanding it into a a nice rolled edge shape, etc... I can't quite tell what you did (maybe just left the sharp edge) but it works. This was a stock TA shaker from an older car, right? I was thinking of making my own a bit larger, but I'd say your proportions look very nice.

As far as PS a red E-1 to your car, there's only so much you can do. If there was an E-1 already red you could just take a pic of your car from the same angle and I could copy and paste it on, then tweak the size and shape so it fit just right. I've never seen one in red, though. Until a few days ago I thought Christians TA (the original owner) had the only one as he built it himself. Now I learned they are selling them.

He did say he sold a lot over the past few weeks and they are on backorder at the moment, so maybe we'll see a red one soon. I could try changing the color of one of them to red, but I doubt it would look very good.

BTW, be careful with that cold air kit. I had the free ram air mod done and due to a series of rare occurances happening all at once, I got some water sucked into the engine and bent a rod. What followed is a long story, but I'm never using a bottom feed air intake again.

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-02-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mistaken about this. It's simply not bolted on. The owner just propped it up to take a pic, that's all. It's not even painted, he just pulled it out of the box and stuck it on to take a pic. If you want to see the actual fit you need to look at the finished pictures I also posted.
yes it was taken duing an install, and i know for a fact it did not fit, because thats in my shop. i took that pic back in 05, (the fitment problems may have been solved by now but this is my experience with it and ill never deal in installing that bumper again) i spoke several times with the manufacturer trying to make it fit properly over the course of 3 weeks the owner of the car and bumper was not happy so he gave up and i modified the original formula bumper for his intercooler. it was off by 3" total from side to side (1.5" if bolted down on one side). since its made from fiberglass you cant heat it and flex it or even put too much pressure in an attempt to get it to meet the fenders with out it cracking or breaking.

Quick Reply: Anybody Build a custom hood?