Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Cutting the roof out of a Z06, my targa conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 4 CCWs are finally back together with new centers :beer: Have to let the silicone cure for 24hrs then put the tires on and balance the wheels. Have Thursdays off now so I decided to knock out the last one.

I had two of them split (remember they're real 3-piece wheels) when I was hammering out the centers. So... I had to put the centers in, have the tires removed, take them all apart again, clean all the silicone off, sand the metal for traction, clean w/ alcohol, re-apply fresh silicone, place the wheel 1/2s together, drop in the center, bolt up all before the silicone cures so I can smooth it out with my finger. Yes, it's sort of a PITA, but I've done it a few times now.

CCW has how-to videos on their website but they have this cool roller system on a work bench to spin the wheel around quickly and have an air gun pre set at 33 ft-lbs... they of course have it down to a science.

I love these wheels!

Long story, but the car isn't done yet... she's being completely re-painted by a new shop... will update when she's finally done correctly.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wheels look good . . . sorry to hear it has to be repainted.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice....
Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
All 4 CCWs are finally back together with new centers :beer: Have to let the silicone cure for 24hrs then put the tires on and balance the wheels. Have Thursdays off now so I decided to knock out the last one.

I had two of them split (remember they're real 3-piece wheels) when I was hammering out the centers. So... I had to put the centers in, have the tires removed, take them all apart again, clean all the silicone off, sand the metal for traction, clean w/ alcohol, re-apply fresh silicone, place the wheel 1/2s together, drop in the center, bolt up all before the silicone cures so I can smooth it out with my finger. Yes, it's sort of a PITA, but I've done it a few times now.

CCW has how-to videos on their website but they have this cool roller system on a work bench to spin the wheel around quickly and have an air gun pre set at 33 ft-lbs... they of course have it down to a science.

I love these wheels!

Long story, but the car isn't done yet... she's being completely re-painted by a new shop... will update when she's finally done correctly.
I know how that feels. I have had to put mine together a couple of times to make it out to a show or cruise and haven't waited the full 24hrs and I have slow leaks. I plan on taking them apart one more time and waiting a full two days before I get the tires mounted this time.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed...nice build!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Thanks... car will be out of paint tomorrow, but I'm going to run Viperdays this weekend at VIR so I'll be at the shop next week putting it back together... then finally some freaking pics.

This should have been done long ago, but live and learn. You get what you pay for and the first shop royally fucked me.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well... I finally have an update. The car is completely re-painted. The only thing left for them to do is do the lower blackout on the rear bumper and do some custom black trimming of the openings on my tigershark front facia. The paint is incredible, done by a true professional with attention to detail this time. Its all one shade and best of all its the right shade of yellow that really pops. Previously the car came out orangier that it was supposed to.

I spent the day up at the shop putting the car back together. I took it apart so it wouldnt have been too fair to hand them a bag of bolts and tell them to have at it. Got everything mounted other than the mirrors, bumpers, and door handles. The deck lid and hood need some fine tuning, but everything else went together beautifully. On of the best things is that they fully baked all the parts and the car so I dont have to worry about expansion of the body work parts (the roof, the shaved quarter, and the rear facia) when the car gets hot fore the first time.

Heres two crappy cell pics to show todays progress:

Next up... full wet sanding and buffing then clear bra.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

finally
looks nice
i really dig the hood
Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

have fun wetsanding and buffing it hahaha. god it sucks wet sanding things flat. its been awhile since i chimed in on this thread. glad to see its coming together!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Yes wetsanding sure does suck... but Im not doing it, they are. The paint is better than OEM right out of the gun, but shell be truly show quality when theyre done with it.

Ive sent them some good referrals and Brian (shop owner) says everyone comming in/out of the shop asks about it and what kind of car it is. This is a shop that works on Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Viprs, lots or race cars and other high end cars too, yet a modded Corvette is getting most of the attention. Probably the yellow. Anyway... they want the car top notch to show off what they can do because they know itll get them recognition/business.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking forward to seeing it completed.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

gorgeous absolutely gorgeous makes me miss the hell out of my car but ill be driving her again in about 6 weeks.........stupid deployments
Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys... car should be out of the shop end of next week. They're wet sanding and buffing the whole thing, getting my windows tinted, and applying clear bra to it. Once I get it back I have to get it ready for Corvettes @ Carlisle the 3rd week of August! I have to put my interior in and get the targa top gaskets all in.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

glad to see its finally going back into your garage. my 94 is heading out to the chassis shop soon and then back to me for prep and paint.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Still looking awsome man. Did you end up blacking out the rear?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ No... re-did it as it was with only the lower part blacked out. I'm happy I went with it that way becuase that's what I really like. I was considering the all black just to change the car up, but at the end of the day I wasn't 100% on it.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stopped by Auto Elite today at lunch to take some pics. Im making a photo-book of the conversion so I wanted to snap some before we moved farther along.

Front facia ready to install

Rear facia lower blackout complete ready to go on

Modified the oem antenna w/ a universal so it will work under the bodywork, remember no more antenna hole.

Car now has functioning door handles and mirrors again... notice the lack of lights on the quarter.

Front A-pillar moldings and weather stripping run channels from a coupe installed

Rear side run channels, targa brackets, etc installed, still have to put in the main top run channel and install the gaseket set.

Moving along!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

mmmmmmm
that is beautiful paint.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ Yeah... it look 1000x better than the first go around... Im thrilled with it

Quick Reply: Cutting the roof out of a Z06, my targa conversion project