Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

I need to get a hood painted. Have some ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I need to get a hood painted. Have some ?s

Should I take it to the painter as its own item or take it bolted on the car?

I imagine taking it by itself would be better but I could be wrong. Painters speak up!

And how much should I expect to pay? Its a cowl hood but I was thinking of doing the side of the hood black and the rest of it red.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the car for a color match
Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Launching!

On the car especially with a red car
Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Take them the whole car. Might wanna have the cowl hood off of the car whenever you take it though. Remember, they still need to paint the bottom side of it. They will do that before they put the cowl hood on. Then they will paint the hood with it installed on the car. And try and match that red the best they can.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Launching!

With paint/materials.. You're probably looking at a good $400 all together. Really depends on the body shop you take it to.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

take the whole car because of color match and also maybe have them blend the fenders.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im doing this very thing, and i took them the hood separate from the car... they wanted to test fit it before painting and it also needed some minor repairs so it didnt make any sense to bolt it to the car... they said they would fix the small hole in the hood, and then mount it on the car to test fit it, make any adjustments that are needed (hopefully not too many, it is an oem hood, not an aftermarket) and then take it back off and paint it....

FWIW its costing me $600 but that also includes painting the headlight doors and the roof section behind the T-tops

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

"to blend or not to blend thats the question"? i would blend, but some shops can save you money by adding tint time insted of blending both fenders, head light doors, bumper but its your pocket.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Red is the most expensive color on the market, due to the extensive use of hooker's blood in the manufacturing process.

Depending on the condition of your paint (a small amount of fading will occur with UV rays, especially on red!) Today's clearcoats are better than ever for UV resistance, but like I said. Enough fading will happen over a few years of sun to throw the colormatch off.

If it was my car, I would definitely blend on the fenders and upper bumper. You may pay a little more, but the match will be 100 times better. Generally, only the painter will know where the colors meet. Plus, when we blend, we clear the whole blended panel. This means the beautiful luster of fresh paint will be shared on the whole front cap. Yee Haw!

on second thought, just rattle can that bitch and stick'r on thar!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

def take in the entire car. aftermarket hood are notorious for not fitting or requiring lots of adjustmet to adjacent panels. and also whether you choose to blend(best&most expensive) or tint (an exp painter can do wonders) they will need the car.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

I'm doing the same thing right now, found a stock SS hood and now getting it painted. Need to find a good shop in my area, want it to be a perfect match. The shops have told me in the past that silver is a pain to match, so I have been putting it off. I will pay the extra $$$ for a perfect job. Right now the hood is black with purple flames and you can tell it was a garage job at least for the flames since all the tape lines for the flames can be seen.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

i had a similar hood put on my old car and painted and they blended the fenders and front bumper it looked super nice
Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always heard that if you get an aftermarket hood to put it on for like 2 weeks unpainted a drive around a little to let it "weather" and "stretch out" on the car. By stretching I mean getting used to chassis flex and other things that may bring up any irregularites in the hood. You don't want to paint it right out of the box, then have something creep up after the paint job to ruin it. That's what my paint guy has told me and he's been doing paint/body work for over 35 years.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i take my ss hood to get painted today, he said take the whole car..... i bolted the hood on the car to make sure everything lined up right he said he would just take it off there.... so if you bought the hood off ebay or something like i did, might want to test fit it before you take it, if not they can trim it there or do whatever they do. just my .02
Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Iwanta69rs
on the car for a color match
Old 03-13-2008, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

I'm in the same boat. Was gonna drive the car there and have them paint the hood and SS spoiler and they were gonna color match. Still undecided on if I should blend or not.

Quick Reply: I need to get a hood painted. Have some ?s