Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door making fender pop

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Door making fender pop

So sometime at the end of last year I noticed a popping noise when opening the passenger door but never really looked into it shrugging it off as a sagging hinge.

Now that it's out of storage again, I became bothered by the noise and discovered that it's actually the door catching on the front fender during the first couple inches of the door opening. The bottom right corner of the door is getting snagged.

Last year I hammered my fender mounting points back into place because they were flared out due to ******** jacking the car up incorrectly. I didn't know this was the wrong way to do it but I guess I got lucky and didn't break anything. Could this have anything to do with it? If you look at the front fender/door seam line on each side, the driver's side has a nice, clean gap but the passenger side is definately way too close.

Has this happened to anyone before? I may just take it to a body shop and have them take a look at it. I want someone to align my hood anyway.
Old 04-10-2008 | 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

You probably didn't get the fender alignment correct when you hammered the mounts. I had to straighten my passenger side one out to remove the gap (BIG gap on mine) and used channel lock pliers and some elbow grease. Took some doing since that mount was bent really badly.

If you go back under there you may be able to fix that.
Old 04-10-2008 | 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I should probably unbolt the fender and try to fix it that way? I didn't know how much alignment was actually modified by the mount that people always jack with. I just hammered it straight so it wasn't flared out anymore.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks. Maybe that will help with my hood alignment too.
Old 04-10-2008 | 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I went to get in my car one morning and the door was popping off the fender. Somebody had clipped my car over night. The body shop got me all fixed up.
Old 04-10-2008 | 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What'd that run you at the body shop?

I'm pretty sure no one hit my car (more than normal anyway ).
Old 04-10-2008 | 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure the hinge pins and bushings are good, also
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I fixed it today by just hitting it a bit with a hammer again towards the front of the car and smacking the front part inwards to push the snagging section away. Worked. The gap is not equal to the driver's side but it doesn't look bad.

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
What'd that run you at the body shop?

I'm pretty sure no one hit my car (more than normal anyway ).
They charged a little over a grand, because I had to get a new front bumper cover.
Old 04-13-2008 | 07:47 AM
On The Tree

This happened to me but my door skin was coming loose from my door. Wasn;t able to tell until I pushed on the door and saw the skin (painted piece of the door) move. Got some adhesive from a shop here and fixed it up.

Quick Reply: Door making fender pop