Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear protective bumper film, Opinions on it plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question Clear protective bumper film, Opinions on it plz

I've seen it a-lot on new high end cars and wish I had it on my car. I may be buying a Black WS6 and I don't want to get any more rock hits on it so I'm considering the clear protective films. I would most likely have it done at a reputable paint shop so I don't waste time trying to lay one down myself and get bubbles. Who has tried putting the stuff on themselves who has had a paint shop do it and how were the results? What happens if you accidentally get wax on the clear bumper protector film, does it ruin the product?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a clear bra on my car and it was pretty easy. I still have the plastic on my headlight doors but when the hood gets flamed the painters going to take it off and repaint. I never really liked the look of it and almost every painter I've talked to didnt advise using it.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

It is really noticeable on dark cars, something bright such as yellow or orange, it isn't that bad. Had a buddy get it done to his vette, personally I dont like it. Looks like your paint wont see any nourishment from waxes and such. Even though the film is pretty tight, I'm sure small dirt particles can still find their way underneath it and screw up paint.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bummer...i've seen it on some silver and lighter colored cars and I didn't notice it till I really looked. Putting a regular bra on a car is simply out of the question tho, I guess i'll just keep 15 cars lengths between me and the person in front of me. What color vette did your buddy have?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dad got it for his scion and its white.. hard to notice till u look for it. i installed it myself with a little help from my dad. he called a couple of body shops and they wouldn't install it. but as far as installation its pretty straight forward just keep your work area clean from dust dirt grass or anything cuz it will get caught to the adhesive or the soap/water spray used putting it on. the place he ordered it from has some installation instructions on their website that i read over before i started.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really dont see why it would hurt. I have actually told several of my customers to use it. As far as waxing goes, this will do more good than any wax. I have yet to see any wax stop or reduce rock chips from happening. I think that if it is installed properly it is a good thing. I have seen it done on several C5 and C6 Corvettes and you can barely notice it unless you are looking for it. Should be a good protection to your investment.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe the reason I was told not to get it was because of the flamejob... who knows. I do know that everyone would always come up to the car and ask what was on the hood...or the headlight doors. They'd say stuff like "man what happened to the paint...its has cracks in it"....where the slits were in the plastic . On the hood they thought something was wrong too.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Maybe the reason I was told not to get it was because of the flamejob... who knows. I do know that everyone would always come up to the car and ask what was on the hood...or the headlight doors. They'd say stuff like "man what happened to the paint...its has cracks in it"....where the slits were in the plastic . On the hood they thought something was wrong too.

dude I think i've seen your car up at the Chik Fil A in sterling VA.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumanNipple
dude I think i've seen your car up at the Chik Fil A in sterling VA.

First off....I'm not a dude and yeah you probably did see it at chic-fil-a last summer. My boyfriend who was probably in his green 95 Z28 also at the time. We used to live in Ashburn and went up there on Friday nights a few times.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about applying it and cutting it at the bumper lines (edges)...covering the whole bumper. Is that do-able with this stuff? I wouldn't think you'd see it at all then. Swat

P.S. Those flames look killer on that car!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

i heard they turn yellow, yuck!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

I had this on my car when I bought it but since I wrecked it I decided not have it put back on. The body shop told me it was a real pain in the *** to take off. It looked good at first but after time it started looking like crap. I would rather just spend the money to have the hood or front bumper repainted if it started to get to many rock chips. BTW people always asked who keyed my car because of the line where it ended on my hood.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swiat34

P.S. Those flames look killer on that car!

Thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wish I would have done this to just my bumper on the GTO when I first bought it, I would never do it on part of the hood, I would live with the chips, instead of the visable line on the hood.

Ryan
Old 05-03-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
First off....I'm not a dude and yeah you probably did see it at chic-fil-a last summer. My boyfriend who was probably in his green 95 Z28 also at the time. We used to live in Ashburn and went up there on Friday nights a few times.

ouch...lol, I remember talking to you all about the flame job but it wasn't any sort of long conversation. I believe I just complimented the flame job and did the usual walk around. The chik fil a car show is hoppin as usual and I can't wait to get my new WS6!

Quick Reply: Clear protective bumper film, Opinions on it plz